Brewer Fanatic

are you really done with the season?

jason21nl
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a tough time to be a Brewers fan, no doubt. Not only is the 4-14 month disheartening, but the thoughts I have for the future of this team are even more depressing. If we thought this slide was bad, think about the prospects of losing the 1-2 punch in our starting rotation next year. However, as painful as it is, I will continue to watch the games until we are eliminated from the playoffs (if it comes to that). Am I at all optimistic about us making the playoffs? No.
I was thinking about starting a "How frightened are you about next year?" thread. It could be brutal.

I expect the team to be better next year than this year. /shrug.

Gallardo replaces one of them we sign someone to replace the other, Parra improves with a full seasons work under his belt. We don't really lose anything else of consequence from the team and we do lose some dead weight.

I'm with Ennder. I do not see any reason we can't contend again next year. Yeah we lose CC and Ben. Well Yo is probably going to equal Ben if not maybe be better. We won't get anyone as good as CC but should sign a good #2 or trade for a #2. Parra should improve and I think Dave Bush can be very solid like he has most of this year besides his awful start. Should have a lot of the same core position players just need a true leadoff guy and a closer. I'm really looking forward to 2009. Oh and I almost forgot, we should get a good Manager.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I figure we lose 2-5 wins from the rotation assuming we sign someone decent to fill the gap, parra improves etc. I think our offense will improve 1-3 wins between underperformers and cutting out playtime for Hall, Counsell and improvement from younger players. Then we improve 1-2 wins at manager hopefully and 1-2 in the bullpen.

Obviously it is way too early make any difinitive comments on it but I don't see any reason the team should be in rebuilding mode or expected to be significantly worse next year.

I think I have given up on the season. Even though it is STILL possible if Braun and Hart decided to wake up a little.

Right now I'm pretty pessimistic about next year as CC and Sheets are gone. But you figure Braun will continue to only get better.

Go Packers

<<<< avatar now changed too

I still don't want to give up though..... I mean all it takes is probably a win tommorow and a sweep of PIT and we could be looking at a make or break series vs CHC.

This really sucks. Does the CC trade now go down as a bad deal for the Crew? I say yes. It didn't accomplish what we wanted, get to the playoffs.

I'm done with watching and listening to the games. I'll read the box score and old threads here but I can't pay attention to the games when they're going on because I'll know they'll end in fail.

I'm on the Rays bandwagon...sort of...they have former Brewers who don't suck. Go Gross and Balfour!

The Mets don't seem to want to win this thing either.

I was looking at the Cubs 1969 collapse for comparison. They had a 5 game lead at the start of Sept, quite similar to our wild card lead. They proceeded to go 5-14 and fell to 4 games behind the Mets.

The brewers could go 5-14, yet still only be 1.5 games behind the Mets after tomorrow.

I still don't want to give up though..... I mean all it takes is probably a win tommorow and a sweep of PIT and we could be looking at a make or break series vs CHC.

This really sucks. Does the CC trade now go down as a bad deal for the Crew? I say yes. It didn't accomplish what we wanted, get to the playoffs.

Bringing in CC was an incredibly smart move, but ultimately, if it didnt get them into the playoffs, then it goes down as a failure for a crew. Its not his fault they wont make it, but the fact remains it didnt accomplish what was intended.

As far as the season goes, Im pretty sure i gave up on it the moment soto hit that homerun. But im still going to be watching them everyday and just hoping that something turns around...like braun or prince hitting a double in the ninth today would have...but it just isnt coming. ill still be back tomorrow hoping.

Honestly, I do not believe that missing the playoffs means we lost the CC deal. Think about it, from a fan's perspective this is great news for the state of the franchise. Our owner isn't a Selig, Prieb, or Selig-Prieb anymore. We don't "sell" our players at the deadline, we buy. That was a great deal because CC has been a horse and without him, we wouldn't even be close to contention for the wild card. I think that this move shows that Attanasio doesn't just give lip service to "we want to contend every year"...he actually shows us by acquiring last year's Cy Young winner.

Wow, I leave town for a few days and look what has happened...a blown 4 run lead in the ninth at Wrigley, we are on the verge of being swept again in Cincy, and suddenly we have gone in the short span of 3 weeks from Wild Card shoe-in (6.5 games ahead) to Wild Card longshot (2.5 games behind). I can certainly understand how some would give up on not only this season (the most disappointing collapse in this ball club's history) but seasons to come. Particularly since we have no injuries to blame this on.

As for me, I am a fan so I will be here, and I will be back next year.

That said, I reserve the right to demand justice be served for the abbysmal product we have seen in September of 2008. From Sveum and his coaching staff to Melvin, this cancer must be removed. It is clear to me they cannot handle the responsibiliies of a MLB pennant contender. Too many years and no playoff product in Milwaukee say all that needs to be said.

I'm not done watching for the year, but I've decided for sure I won't be getting another full-season ticket package. I can't continue to invest that much money in a team that likes to collapse in September. I'm thinking I might get a 20-game pack....maybe. If there's a miraculous turnaround maybe i'll change my mind, but I doubt it. I invested too much money in the team this year - next year I'll use that money for other things, like traveling to Europe or fixing up my house.

I'm not done watching for the year, but I've decided for sure I won't be getting another full-season ticket package. I can't continue to invest that much money in a team that likes to collapse in September.
Ewizabeff's and others' comments in this thread make me wonder how much of a hit season ticket renewals will take for 2009. I wonder if sending out the renewals in mid-October is as advisable this year as last.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

This thing isn't over yet.

I may have been angry and discouraged the past few weeks, but I'm ready to put those feelings aside and cheer for the Brewers this week. We don't have anything to lose, so why not go to the Pirates games, cheer loud, and save the booing for some other time.

I still believe. Go Brewers!!!

Yea, I got a weird feeling after the game today. Optimism. Three against Pittsburgh at home and hopefully a resting Cubs team at home while the Mets face 4 against the hopefully nonresting Cubs and 3 more against the hot Marlins.

When Braun looks like Braun as he did today and Fielder is hitting as he has for a week, anything is possible even overcoming 4 K's by the leadoff hitter.

I was just saying in the IGT that Braun looks like he might be coming to life. The Brewers trainers need to do some miracle healing on Durham because we could really use his bat these last 6 games

When Braun looks like Braun as he did today and Fielder is hitting as he has for a week, anything is possible even overcoming 4 K's by the leadoff hitter.
Better than 4 groundouts. He sucked up 16 pitches in those ABs.

Hardly a consolation prize, but strikeout bashing is getting old.

Archived