Brewer Fanatic

are you really done with the season?

jason21nl
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, tomorrow's a college football Saturday.

I feel bad taking this stance, but it has to be done. I'm not real happy right now.

Edit- Hey, I got my posts back! That ".u" sure makes a difference when logging in!

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

THEY DON'T NEED US BOO'ING THEM OR GIVING UP....THEY'RE PLAYING LIKE CRAP, BUT THEY AINT' GIVING UP...WHICH IS MORE THAN I CAN SAY FOR THE MAJORITY OF YOU.
I am amusing myself by picturing the following, fully possible, scenario:

1. Brewers get booed at the start of the first Pirates game (individual players, such as Hart, likely booed, as well).
  2. Brewers get on a roll, winning 5 or 6 of the games in the homestand, and make the playoffs.
  3. Crowd blows the roof off Miller Park, cheering like crazy when the team is introduced in Game 3 of the NLDS.
  4. The Brewers strand a runner or two in scoring position in the beginning/middle of the game, prompting the boos to return.
  5. Brewers come back late in Game 3 and the crowd goes nuts.
  6. Brewers lose Game 4, possibly ending the series, and the fans boo loudly.

I'm sorry that we were complaining about the Sabathia no-hitter on the night of August 31. I feel so silly about that, compared to gravity of the recent events Seriously, here's a list of what has gone wrong since that day. It's truly unreal:

-The Brewers have won 4/18 games (.222 win pct).

-Only one victory has been by more than a single run.

-The Brewers have been outscored 104-56.

-Ben Sheets got hurt.

-Manny Parra and Jeff Suppan hit the wall HARD.

-Salomon Torres has blown 3 games.

-We've been swept by our two biggest competitors, NYM and PHI.

-The offense has been pathetic.

-Jason Kendall has not received a day off.

-Ned Yost has been fired (not necessarily a bad thing).

-The team blew a 4-run lead with two outs in the bottom of the 9th, and proceeded to wait another hour to lose that game.

-The Cincinnati Reds, without Dunn and Griffey, hit 7 homeruns in a single game.

-Carlos Zambrano threw a no-hitter at Miller Park.

-Corey Hart forgot how to play baseball.

-Craig Counsell (enough said)

And we still have 8 more games to play. I hope we are rewarded for this suffering -- the difference between two and three GB is drastic, IMO. I'll hold onto hope until then.

I refuse to give up on this team, and I will stick with them to the end. Is it disappointing to see how they have palyed quite pathetically and thrown away a sizeable lead over the past two weeks? Absolutely. But I will not give up.

Half of me wants to suggest that everyone who's waffling suck it up and stay with this team to the end. The other half of me wants to say if you don't want to stick with this team through the tough times and want to "jump off the bandwagon," then so be it.

My friend who is coming with me to Wednesday night's game against he Pirates came at me with the idea that he was going to wear a paper bag over his head at some point during the game. At first I was upset with his idea. But as things have gotten worse and worse, it is looking more and more promising.

My friend who is coming with me to Wednesday night's game against he Pirates came at me with the idea that he was going to wear a paper bag over his head at some point during the game. At first I was upset with his idea. But as things have gotten worse and worse, it is looking more and more promising.
Are you the type of person that likes to go out and sit around with paper bags on their head?

I'm not done, I will still watch the rest of the games this season. But after these last two losses I'm not nearly as optimistic as I was. I have watched many years of Brewers baseball down with the stretch with them having no shot at the playoffs so why would I give up now. I love baseball and that is reason enough to continue to watch. And heck, CC is pitching today on national TV in HD. Thats cool to me.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Wow, what an original idea! Do the Brewers really deserve to have their fans put paper bags on there heads? Usually this happens to teams that have bad ownership, and horrible losing records, not teams in pennant races. The Brewers went out and traded for the best player available, the payroll is 90 million dollars,they fired the manager w/ 12 games left to try getting someting going. How is that not trying to win, to me it shows that they wanted this thing very much, and were trying anything to get the Brewers in the playoffs. I think that would be the least classy thing you could do, but its a free country, and you are allowed to do whatever you want.

Here's the way I am choosing to look at it today:

1. We have CC going and I will take my chances with him against anyone

2. The Braves have the advantage in the pitching matchup today against the Mets (Campillo-3.79 ERA vs Pedro Martinez-5.47 ERA) Hopefully Campillo pitches the way he pitched against us all year

3. The Marlins are facing a mediocre pitcher in Joe Blanton and the Fish are hot and scoring runs with the best of them

In conclusion, a Brew Crew win today coupled with a Philly loss (and even better, a Mets loss too!) and we are only 1 game back with 7 to go. Does that sound so dire? I don't think it does. I know things have been horrible lately, but thats just how fast our fortunes can turn around. Take care of your own business by winning TODAY, and hope for the best on the scoreboard. Anything can happen. GO CREW!!!

I'm still hoping for the best. Despite being three weeks into football, I still have the Brewers desktop on the computer. I'm wearing Brewers apparel at every opportunity. I just want so much for this to take one more turn to the surreal.

That said, I am wrong for hoping, if it doesn't work out, that the Brewers are eliminated before the Cubs come to town? Not to tie this into the 'atmosphere' thread, but the prospect of this team being serenaded off their home field by 25K Cubs fans singing "Hey, Hey, Hey Goodbye" is a little much.

I'm breaking off this relationship. Perhaps we can still be friends in the future.
Pedro, I do remember you calling this awhile back. I don't think you said they would collapse but you didn't think they would get to the playoffs. I don't remember how far back that was but I believe you started a thread about it. Man your a prophet. Still standing by the not renewing your season tickets for 2009?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

This is a tough time to be a Brewers fan, no doubt. Not only is the 4-14 month disheartening, but the thoughts I have for the future of this team are even more depressing. If we thought this slide was bad, think about the prospects of losing the 1-2 punch in our starting rotation next year. However, as painful as it is, I will continue to watch the games until we are eliminated from the playoffs (if it comes to that). Am I at all optimistic about us making the playoffs? No.

Pedro, I do remember you calling this awhile back. I don't think you said they would collapse but you didn't think they would get to the playoffs. I don't remember how far back that was but I believe you started a thread about it. Man your a prophet. Still standing by the not renewing your season tickets for 2009?
That was an early July thread called "My Brewer Confession" or something like that. I expressed my doubts that the Brewers would actually make the playoffs. I felt that way all through July and through August. Then, on the night of August 31st, after sweeping the Pirates, I allowed myself an unfortunate moment of optimism and thought for the first time this season that perhaps the Brewers were indeed going to make the playoffs and I better enjoy the ride more. Well, needless to say, that was short-lived optimism.

As for renewing my tickets, no I don't think I will if they don't make the playoffs. There could be a caveat to that decision, however. I will address that after the season is over, in a separate thread.

I'll not stop being a fan. But I for sure won't be rolling my playoff ticket money into 2009 season tickets. I need some time to figure out what I'm doing so I'll be taking my money back. As for next year, I'm sure I'll have some pack. A solo to preserve my seniority.

Thanks Pedro.

Well I think after this loss today. I have officially given up. I have been as optimistic as possible but these last three losses have pushed me over the edge. I will still watch the games out this year but I officially give up on the pipe dream of playing in the playoffs in 2008.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

... wear a paper bag over his head at some point during the game. At first I was upset with his idea. But as things have gotten worse and worse, it is looking more and more promising.
Wow, what an original idea! Do the Brewers really deserve to have their fans put paper bags on there heads? Usually this happens to ...
Yeah that doesn't seem quite right. He should go to the game with a noose around his neck instead.

Archived