Brewer Fanatic

Brian Anderson to do Playoffs (Merged: TBS Announcers)

Vgmastr

Well, at least one member of the Brewers will be working this October. TBS announced the broadcast teams for the playoffs, and BA is going to be a play-by-play man for one of the division series. Good for him, he gets a lot of criticism around here, but I find him better than most play-by-play guys out there, and light years better than Daron Sutton.

Article

He has a good voice, good delivery, and isn't obnoxious. To expect more than that from your play by play guy is folly, sheer folly. He looks pretty young. With experience I expect him to be one of the better broadcasters in baseball in a few years.

The only thing about him that annoys me, as other have noted, is "Corey Hart would be next". Really? Would be? In the 2nd inning with no outs and no one on base? Barring a meteor crashing to the on-deck circle, shouldn't he say, "Corey Hart WILL be next"?

He has a good voice, good delivery, and isn't obnoxious. To expect more than that from your play by play guy is folly, sheer folly. He looks pretty young. With experience I expect him to be one of the better broadcasters in baseball in a few years.

The only thing about him that annoys me, as other have noted, is "Corey Hart would be next". Really? Would be? In the 2nd inning with no outs and no one on base? Barring a meteor crashing to the on-deck circle, shouldn't he say, "Corey Hart WILL be next"?

Yes...that is the one thing that truly annoys me during every broadcast. For whatever reason, whenever he says that I feel like the AFLAC duck when it walks out of the barbershop after hearing Yogi Berra's classic lines: "aaaaaaggggghhhhh" (shaking head in confusion). I wish Rock would hit him and say, "You only say 'would be next' if there are two outs in the inning." But I'm probably expecting too much out of Rock on that one. Otherwise BA is a pretty good play-by-play guy.
Follow me on Twitter

BA describes the game without imposing his personality over the events, which isn't common. I suspect if the Brewers used Cirillo as the color guy the Brewers might have two broadcasters the networks would be interested in. In limited exposure he also seems to have some restraint and adds a sense of humor.

Why do people always have problems with announcers? I always here people everywhere complaining about whatever announcers did whatever game. Ask someone if they watched Monday Night Football? They respond with how much they dislike 1 of the broadcasters.

Why do people even care?

Lets debate subjective opinion?

• 2 weeks later...
Horrible move. Now BA has to try and keep his emotions in check and call it right down the middle. Though he has the most knowledge of the team, he suddenly has to try and find balance. I also don't understand what Jessica & Ashlee Simpson's father has to add to the baseball playoffs, but whatever.

No disrespect to Brian Anderson, but I really would have preferred a different voice calling the game. I wanted it to feel like a big-time national TV broadcast. But instead, we got the usual voice that is nothing different for us. I know TBS had great graphics, but the effect wasn't quite the same with Anderson.

On a related note, I would also prefer to listen to the game on ESPN Radio instead of listening to Uecker and Powell. I want it to feel like the playoffs the way I know it.

In general, Brian did a fine job. He was emotionally impartial, which is one of the big things you'd look for.

However, there were numerous times where he described action as a Brewers broadcaster would. He often gave the score in terms of the Brewers, for instance. That should be either avoided or evened out. At one point, he referred to Sabathia as "our" ace.

I think Brian is a fine choice as a national announcer. But his rookie assignment should have come in a different series. That would have made the errors he made impossible to make in the first place.

EDIT

I want it to feel like the playoffs the way I know it.

Keep in mind that the "way you know it" is the way fans of a losing team know it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Having your home radio broadcasters is a perk.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Yeah, I think Anderson did a good job but you could tell he was "rooting" for the Brewers.

He called Bill Hall, Bill-y Hall which I guess is not bad, but National Announcers would not call him Billy Hall.

You could also tell the 3 were all new to each other, a couple times it went silent.

But Anderson is slowly turning into one of the best in the buisness. Im glad TBS reconized it.

Someone else mentioned it but it was kind of strange hearing Anderson getting all excited when Hamels struck out Braun.

but National Announcers would not call him Billy Hall.

I dunno. I think it's been done. I'd be willing to bet on it if the announcers involved represent teams who play the Brewers regularly.

You could also tell the 3 were all new to each other, a couple times it went silent.

Silence is golden. That's as it should be. There isn't enough of it on TV broadcasts.

it was kind of strange hearing Anderson getting all excited when Hamels struck out Braun.

I noticed that, too. But that's absolutely fine: it's directing emotion toward good play or an exciting turn of events rather than toward one team or the other.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I was not complaining about him getting excited over Hamels striking out Braun, it was just strange that's all http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think he did a great job overall tho, especially with the other TBS play by play guys they have.

Based upon the posts in the in-game thread, was Smoltz as hung-up on Yost's firing and letting that affect his impartiality the rest of the game as the comments made it sound like, or was that just frustration of the game talking?

Archived