Brewer Fanatic

Who replaces Doug Melvin in 2009?

sweepscc
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
melvin needs to come back, and jack z needs to stay right where he is, i don't want him going anywhere, he is perfect at what he does, and let's keep it that way
I think part of the "give Jack Z the gm spot" sentiment comes from the belief that he will get a job very soon and it might as well be us. Most assume he wont be in his current position much longer. I agree with you though. Keep things as they are now.

Thus far Melvin has shown an ineptness to assemble a playoff caliber bullpen and to acquire the needed complimentary pieces for our offense. I realize I may look like a fool if our offense gets hot but assuming we continue to tank: Who do you think can get us to our destination after some minor rebuilding over the next few years?

Would this be the same bullpen that gave up exactly 1 run in 4 post season games?

I dont think Jack Z is the answer as GM. I'm not a big fan of Melvin, but Jack Z is part of the reason the team has such a one dimensional offense.

Id love to see an Ivy League MBA type like Theo Epstein or someone come in to start using a MoneyBall, patient, defense, pitching, value approach to building a team. Someone who will surround themself with good baseball people and scouts, who can realize the whole picture. Not one who just wants to hit home runs and take mammoth risks with high draft picks.

Thus far Melvin has shown an ineptness to assemble a playoff caliber bullpen and to acquire the needed complimentary pieces for our offense. I realize I may look like a fool if our offense gets hot but assuming we continue to tank: Who do you think can get us to our destination after some minor rebuilding over the next few years?

Would this be the same bullpen that gave up exactly 1 run in 4 post season games?

4 games is a good sample size now?

The bullpen over the whole of the year was actually rather good. In the month of September and into October the bullpen was phenomenal.

Month of September stats ranked by WHIP for the relievers. I kept McClungs start in September in here because it was basically a long relief appearance anyways. I also didn't include Riske's three appearances in September since he was injured. Torres had a bad month of September while Gagne, McClung, and Mota had a good month. Torres just gave up to many hits and walks in the month of September and looked to be tired going into September.

NAME GP GS W L Sv Hld IP H ER HR BB SO K/9 P/GS WHIP ERA
Eric Gagne 12 0 0 1 0 2 11.2 8 4 2 3 10 7.71 0.0 0.94 3.09
Seth McClung 8 1 1 1 0 0 16.1 8 2 0 9 17 9.37 1028.0 1.04 1.10
G. Mota 11 0 1 1 0 1 10.1 5 3 1 6 8 6.97 0.0 1.06 2.61
Todd Coffey 9 0 1 0 0 1 7.1 6 0 0 2 7 8.59 0.0 1.09 0.00
C. Villanueva 10 0 0 1 0 2 15.1 13 4 1 5 16 9.39 0.0 1.17 2.35
Tim Dillard 5 0 0 0 0 0 6.0 7 2 1 1 2 3.00 0.0 1.33 3.00
Brian Shouse 7 0 1 0 0 1 5.0 6 4 1 1 1 1.80 0.0 1.40 7.20
Mark DiFelice 5 0 1 0 0 0 5.1 4 0 0 4 4 6.75 0.0 1.50 0.00
Mitch Stetter 7 0 1 0 0 2 2.2 2 2 0 3 2 6.75 0.0 1.88 6.75
S. Torres 12 0 1 2 2 0 12.2 19 12 3 7 7 4.97 0.0 2.05 8.53

I would give the bullpen a grade of a B for the whole year.

Our bullpen was slightly above average and that is with Gagne being much worse than was expected most of the year and Riske being injured and pitching very poorly. Last year the flaw with the Bullpen was Turnbow's complete collapse and the whole Wise falling apart after hitting the guy thing.

I love that people on here are saying that Mark A. is controlling everything and stepping on Melvin's toes. This is all talk. Lets see some evidence to back up these claims....
Are you the judge and jury? Show me evidence Attanasio hasn't stepped in on a few crucial baseball decisions.

I love that people on here are saying that Mark A. is controlling everything and stepping on Melvin's toes. This is all talk. Lets see some evidence to back up these claims....
Are you the judge and jury? Show me evidence Attanasio hasn't stepped in on a few crucial baseball decisions.

I would if I was making claims against him! There is a lot of "talk" on here about how Mark A. stepped on Melvin's toes to sign Suppan, sign Gagne and fire Yost. This sounds like a lot of internet rumors to me. Im not saying that Mark A. is hands off or hands on. We read this from people as it is truth. Im not a follower. I am asking that people provide links or at least advise where they heard the types of claims if they are going to type it on here as fact.

Also, this is America where you are innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around sweepscc.

I haven't seen anyone say Mark A is meddling as a fact, we've just guessed that it may be the case based on some Melvin's comments.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I kind of skimmed through all the posts in here. I know a majority of the posts were made before the Brewers clinched the wild card spot, so I'm not certain if this has already been brought up. Maybe this is a bit over-simplistic, but if your payroll ranks 15th and you finish in the top 8 teams, you must be doing something right. Of the 7 other teams in the playoffs, only TB had a lower payroll. Sure, in hindsight, Melvin has made some bad signings (Gagne, Suppan). However, I'm sure you could say that for just about every GM in the league.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The main (only?) reason this team didn't win 96 games is a surprisingly dysfunctional offense that was terrible at getting on base. Since they finished 11th in the league in 2007 in batting average and obp, I suppose you can argue Doug should have seen this coming. On the other hand, one thing you can expect from talented young hitters is they will improve their on base skills with experience. Instead everyone of the young core of hitters regressed except for JJ.

The offense scored 51 fewer runs comared to last year while the pitching allowed 87 fewer runs. Had the offense merely scored as many runs as in 2007 the Brewers would have theorectically speaking, won 5 more games.

The main (only?) reason this team didn't win 96 games is a surprisingly dysfunctional offense that was terrible at getting on base. Since they finished 11th in the league in 2007 in batting average and obp, I suppose you can argue Doug should have seen this coming. On the other hand, one thing you can expect from talented young hitters is they will improve their on base skills with experience. Instead everyone of the young core of hitters regressed except for JJ.

The offense scored 51 fewer runs comared to last year while the pitching allowed 87 fewer runs. Had the offense merely scored as many runs as in 2007 the Brewers would have theorectically speaking, won 5 more games.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he knew OBP was a problem. We dumped Estrada, Mench, Graffanino, Jenkins, Miller who were all low OBP players in 2007. Just turns out our regulars all regressed in OBP and offset the changes.

I'm actually pretty shocked that we won 90 games considering I think overall the roster underproduced expectations. We'll lose some key players next year but I still think next year's team is looking at around 90 wins again barring major injury and assuming we pick up a decent SP.

Found this little blurb in the Hudson Star-Observer, of all places:

"Milwaukee Brewers' General Manager Doug Melvin has one year left on his contract and he talked on the phone Tuesday with team owner Mark Attanasio about a possible extension. Attanasio says he definitely wants Melvin to stay around, and a deal may have to come quickly. "

I will be very interested to see how this plays out over the next few days. It will be a very interesting offseason, to be sure, if we are finding a replacement GM as well as manager.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought you all might like to see how DM is perceived by his peers.

From a Dallas Morning news interview with GM Jon Daniels:

MJH: Is there a GM -- past or present other than the guy who brought you along, John Hart -- who you see as your role model and if so, what have you learned from him and how has that influenced you in this job?

JD: I can think of four guys right away: Pat Gillick, Doug Melvin, Mark Shapiro and Theo [Epstein]. With Pat, obviously you have to admire the way he builds an organization. He's a big proponent of continuity. He knows his people. Pat's a guy who knows where all of his scouts are on any given day. He knows their wives first names. He knows their kids. He makes sure that everyone in the organization knows that they are valuable and that's been a key to his success wherever he goes.

Doug: the way he carries himself. He's probably about the most respected GM in the game. His honesty. He's direct. Straight shooter.

I hope to be similar to those guys.

http://rangersblog.dallas...ngers-gm-jon-daniels.html

I resurrected this because IMO I was just amazed that this was even a topic. Some of the sentiments along the lines that we need a clean house and a new start amazed me. Like that darn 90 win season and playoff appearence should trigger a fan uprising.

Edit spelling

Thanks for sharing that, Boy Jeenius. It's cool to hear that our perception (or at least, mine) of Melvin -- honest, down-to-earth, direct -- is shared by others outside of a biased, Brewers-supporting base.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived