Brewer Fanatic

Who replaces Doug Melvin in 2009?

sweepscc
Thus far Melvin has shown an ineptness to assemble a playoff caliber bullpen and to acquire the needed complimentary pieces for our offense. I realize I may look like a fool if our offense gets hot but assuming we continue to tank: Who do you think can get us to our destination after some minor rebuilding over the next few years?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our bullpen this year has been one of the biggest disasters in the history of man kind. OK maybe that is a slight exaggerations, but if we had even an average bullpen we would be at least 3-4 games up in the wild card right now.

If that could cost Doug his job that remains to be seen. I don't think it will but you never know, that bullpen has been a disaster ever since opening day

rluzinski http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

No, I actually want rluz for manager. He'll pinch hit not start Counsell and will pinch hit for Kendall late in games. He also wouldn't manage on "feeling" or go with any gritty battlers.

rluzinski http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

No, I actually want rluz for manager. He'll pinch hit not start Counsell and will pinch hit for Kendall late in games. He also wouldn't manage on "feeling" or go with any gritty battlers.

If those are your only expectations, then 90% of this board would probably be qualified to manage http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Any chance we can get Terry Ryan out of retirement? I am just so tired of the lack of fundamentals that we keep seeing from the Brewers. Although Doug Melvin is good at acquiring individual pieces, he seems to really stink at understanding how poorly the individual players fit together as a team.

For several years, I have been saying that the Brewers need more players who fit the Kevin Seitzer and Fernando Vina type of approach. Doug Melvin has failed to get what this team needs. The lack of execution, clutch hitting, plate discipline, and on-base percentage is very disturbing.

Who replaces Melvin? No one. Looking at the trees and not seeing the forest? Pirates, Royals, Reds, Orioles, Rangers etc. - all were in similar spots as the Brewers(or even ahead of the Brewers) when Melvin took over. Last I checked we are are the only one of that group even sniffing the playoffs, and the minors are dripping with prospects. He's done a fantastic job, taken risks - some worked, some did not - but at least he's gone for the grapes. Now our bull pen stinks, so let's knee jerk and fire the GM?. The bull pen of about 27 or 28 other teams stinks too(if you ask their fan base). Fire the GM? Please stop.

Now our bull pen stinks, so let's knee jerk and fire the GM?. The bull pen of about 27 or 28 other teams stinks too(if you ask their fan base). Fire the GM? Please stop.
For the most part, the bullpen has stunk on every team he's ever had. I think he has done a good job, and I probably wouldn't fire him, but I'm not sure he wants to come back. I think we all know who instructed him to pull the trigger on Ned. You think he wants to hang around and wait for his turn? That said, there is plenty of reason to question him. Much like many have concluded Ned wasn't the guy to take the next step, perhaps it is fair to wonder the same about Doug. The Sabathia trade suddenly doesn't look so good. Not because he hasn't performed, but perhaps because he misjudged just how good/bad the rest of the team was. The question has to be asked, is the team a playoff/WS contender even with Sabathia? It doesn't look like it. Therefore, was the trade actually a good idea? Obviously, Attansio shares the responsibility in a trade of that magnitude, but he certainly isn't going to blame or fire himself.

Our bullpen has actually been above average this year but since this seems to be vent thread 2.0 I'll let it slide.

I don't see how Melvin gets replaced given the upward trend the team has shown over the past few years.

I think we don't really have a good indication of how good our bulpen really is since I believe it has been somewhat sheltered by good starting pitching. I don't think our bulpen is terrible, but the fact that they are pretty similar to last year's pen stat wise without as many appearances by the 24th and 25th guys on the roster leads me to believe it is worse than last year's pen. Like I have said in the past, Torres isn't the type of pitcher we would normally want as a closer. A high K guy would be better. Of course those guys don't come cheap and are not easy to find.

I wouldn't fire Melvin, but I get the feeling that Mark A. is about done with Melvin after this year.

Edit: Wow, didn't realize Torres gave up 4 runs today.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Who replaces Melvin? No one. Looking at the trees and not seeing the forest? Pirates, Royals, Reds, Orioles, Rangers etc. - all were in similar spots as the Brewers(or even ahead of the Brewers) when Melvin took over. Last I checked we are are the only one of that group even sniffing the playoffs, and the minors are dripping with prospects. He's done a fantastic job, taken risks - some worked, some did not - but at least he's gone for the grapes. Now our bull pen stinks, so let's knee jerk and fire the GM?. The bull pen of about 27 or 28 other teams stinks too(if you ask their fan base). Fire the GM? Please stop.
We were going to be on an up tick no matter who the GM was because of Jack Z. Melvin's now had two years to capitalize on Zduriencik's great drafting and has failed.

I think the perception that our bullpen is terrible is largely due to inopportune implosions, rather than the bullpen actually being as terrible as some make it out to be. I'd guess that are bullpen ranks somewhere around the middle of the pack, which coupled with good offense and starting pitching is good enough to make the playoffs.

We were going to be on an up tick no matter who the GM was because of Jack Z. Melvin's now had two years to capitalize on Zduriencik's great drafting and has failed.
The drafting that has failed to develop any sort of relief pitching? It's no coincidence that Doug's perceived weakness is also Zack's perceived weakness.

If i had to bet, my guess is Attanasio will give Melvin one more year, but i do think it's only around 60/40 that Doug is back if we miss the playoffs. He's done a solid job IMO, but not a special or great job. Given though Attanasio was willing to can Yost when he did, nothing he does this offseason will surprise me.

Say Mark gives Melvin one more year, but he decides to choose the manager instead of allowing Doug to do it, would Melvin decide to step down? Will this collapse cause Attanasio to get more involved overall in decisions made, regardless who the GM is?

The Brewers missing the playoffs could end up leading to a very interesting and eventful offseason.

I think the perception that our bullpen is terrible is largely due to inopportune implosions, rather than the bullpen actually being as terrible as some make it out to be. I'd guess that are bullpen ranks somewhere around the middle of the pack, which coupled with good offense and starting pitching is good enough to make the playoffs.

The drafting that has failed to develop any sort of relief pitching? It's no coincidence that Doug's weakness is also Zack's weakness.

You have to ask what good is Melvin then. He obviously has a hard time putting together a solid bullpen and has made some blunders, (Gagne-10 Mil, extending T-bow, Brady Clark, Bill Hall, etc.). We can do better.

I personally think that Melvin's possible downfall could be that there is way too much wasted money on this payroll. The Brewers aren't getting much bang for their buck from Suppan, Counsell, Gagne, Capuano, Turnbow, Riske, Hall, Weeks, etc. I know a lot of this is hindsight, but it still makes a GM look bad in the end. I think we all expected more from Hall and Riske, so I can't blame Melvin for those contracts. But the rest of the failures were definitely predictable.

I have NO idea why we signed Counsell for two years when he seemed terrible the last time he was a Brewer. There are plenty of guys on the scrap heap who you can pick up and can put up similar or better numbers for a bargain basement price. I just think Melvin needs to stop jumping into multi-year deals when there is no reason or track record to justify it.

Anyway, despite my criticisms, I think Melvin will get one more year. I just hope he starts to appreciate the value of having more professional hitters who can execute and play the game right.

You have to ask what good is Melvin then. He obviously has a hard time putting together a solid bullpen and has made some blunders, (Gagne-10 Mil, extending T-bow, Brady Clark, Bill Hall, etc.). We can do better.
He's has failed to assemble an above average pen, but has gotten zero help in the form of relief prospects (which is on Zack). Here's where the Brewers pen ranks in the NL this year: ERA - 4th, OPS against - 5th, WHIP - 10th, K/9 - 12th. Obviously, its not great, but it's decent considering what our pen looked like to start the off season (CL - Turnbow).

Now Doug has had some stinker moves, but he's covered for them with some great moves (acquiring Torres and Mota for basically nothing, signing Cameron, etc.).

I personally think that Melvin's possible downfall could be that there is way too much wasted money on this payroll.

I don't know if Melvin is gone, but I agree with this. I've pointed out in other threads and had had really no one post that agreed stating that Mark and Doug would have a 'talk' about the Gagne signing. We don't know if Mark has signed off blindly on things or how it goes down, but Mark is millions of dollars short based on some of the bad signings he had. That hurts his investment and I'm sure as a business guy he's not happy about that. He essentially could have $20 million + if these decisions weren't made this year and even more in future years. Every GM does make mistakes and I understand that. The question is how upset Mark is over the bad decisions.

Archived