Brewer Fanatic

05/19/2006 Twins (Liriano) @ Brewers (Davis) 7:05 pm CST

JoeH33

Minnesota Twins

Francisco Liriano - (1-0, 3.22)

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2005/09/15/AQILI8DS.jpg

This is Liriano's first appearance vs. Milwaukee

The much-heralded Liriano will make his first start of the year in place of struggling Carlos Silva. Liriano has wowed many so far with his work out of the Twins bullpen, as he has recorded 32 strikeouts in just 22 1/3 innings of work. The Twins have tried to stretch out the 22-year-old Liriano in his relief role but he will still be limited to a pitch count in the outing against Milwaukee. (MLB.com)

@

Milwaukee Brewers

Doug Davis - (2-2, 5.14)

http://www.northgatebaseball.com/dd9.jpg

Davis' Splits vs. Minnesota

Despite spending parts of five seasons in the American League, Davis has faced the Twins just three times, going 2-0 with a 2.53 ERA. He once again struggled with command against the Mets on Sunday, issuing five walks and hitting the 105-pitch mark in five-plus innings of an eventual no-decision. Command has been an ongoing issue for Davis, who had a 208-93 strikeouts-to-walks ratio last season but is at 33-37 this year. (MLB.com)

General Information

TV - FSN North

Radio - AM 620 WTMJ

Online - MLB.com GameDay, ESPN.com GameCast

Game Information

MLB.com Preview

Minnesota Twins Fan Site

Minnesota Twins Official Site

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless Liriano has control issues tonight, we ain't hitting him.

Control issues are certainly a possibility, but a better idea might be to make him work early and force Gardy to use his bullpen in the sixth inning. The bullpen is hittable.

Speaking of "hittable", Scott Baker will throw on Saturday evening for the Twins.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I'm coming home to Milwaukee this weekend to see tonight's and Saturday's game, which I'm very excited for. I'm expecting pretty big crowds, because we're on a 4 game winning streak, they are weekend night games, and there will be some Twins fans at the Keg. Go Crew, and it should be a fun one.

Yeah, I'm going to the game on Saturday as well, although I'm pretty disappointed that Hendrickson is starting for the Crew that night. I guess with Baker starting for the Twins, though, we should be able to put up a runs in bunches as well.

Another note, this game is going to be broadcast in HD on the FSN North HD channel, for those of you that have HD. Also, tommorow's game will be broadcast in HD.

Just thought I would throw that out there since people were wondering about the Brewers in HD a couple of months ago.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7391/569/320/win%20prob419.gif

84% chance of winning the series? Too bad the starting pitchers who contributed most to the Twins problems are no longer in the rotation. Take these probabilities with a grain of salt (whatever that means), as a result. Atleast their offense still sucks. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Verified Member
A better chance of sweeping than winning 2? Sorry, but I'll take a handful of grains of salt. I like to think we're plenty better than the Twins as well, but that might be overly optimistic.

I would like to see Corey Hart in the lineup today. From everything I have read Liriano is really, really, tough on lefties and Prince could use a day off. Maybe even another start for Cirillo at 3rd? That would leave Jenkins as the only lefty in the lineup.

How come with all of our "farm depth" we can never get a pitcher like a Liriano? Instead, we get the Hendrickson's and Eveland's of the world.

I have a pretty good feeling we won't be doing much in terms of offense during innings 1-5. If we win tonight it will be the come from behind variety, haven't seen enough of those this year. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Offense:

The Twins have the 5th lowest OPS in the AL (.71http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif

The Brewers have the best OPS in the NL (.814)

In terms of offense, both teams are on the complete opposite sides of the spectrum.

Pitching/Defense:

The Twins have the lowest OPS against in the AL (.851)

The Brewers have the 4th best OPS against in the NL (.721)

Again, the Brewers absolutely dominate. Of course, the Twin's starting pitching has been overhauled and my estimates only use overall pitching numbers but the Brewers look great on paper.

But as they say...

You should be able to enter from any of the exits, not sure about off of MP Way. If you get off at the VA you should be able to go directly to the Preferred Parking, otherwise (if coming in on Bluemound) if you keep driving (instead of going to the General Parking) and head under the overpass it should lead to the Preferred Parking. I never use Miller Park Way to get to the stadium, I find the other ways faster.

I saw on cbssportsline that Liriano would be limited to 60-70 pitches tonight. My question is why on earth would a number be thrown out by the Twins? Unless this is a ploy to screw up our strategy, doesn't this information help the Brewers' management the most?

BTW, is it pitiful that I have a HD cable box (equipped with DVR) with a crappy old 19" standard def TV just so I can record these Brewer HD games and watch them sometime in the future when I actually get myself a nice HDTV? I also committed not to erase any of the last 4 wins I recorded on the DVR until the Brewers lose a game (I don't know what I will do when space starts running out). Oh yeah, I also promised my co-workers that I would give up all vices in my life if the Brewers reach 10 games over .500. I should just state I am hopelessly addicted to this team right now.

I dont understand why everyone is pretty much writing off scoring anything against Liriano. People are acting like he's the second coming of jesus or something. He's a rookie pitcher. Making his major leauge debut as a starter. On a 60-70 pitch limit. Facing the best offense in the major leagues. The way people are talking....

Quote:
Unless Liriano has control issues tonight, we ain't hitting him.
Quote:

I have a pretty good feeling we won't be doing much in terms of offense during innings 1-5.

You would think we are trotting out a lineup of:

Alex Sanchez

Eric Young

Jack Voight

Sean Berry

Russell Branyan

Royce Clayton

Alex Ochoa

Paul Bako

Every pitcher in this league gets lit up from time to time. Pedro does. Sheets does. Unit does. Supposedly the best prospect in the AL (Felix Hernandez from the Mariners) just gave up 10 ER's in 3 innings his last time out.

I say...away with all the negative talk....and here's to knocking Liriano back to the showers very early tonight with about 6 runs in 2 innings.

This is the 2006 Brewers. Not the 1996 Brewers.

If Liriano is on a 70 pitch pitch count then you have to really like our chances. We have the most patient team in the NL almost seeing 4 pitches per AB right now. Get into the middle relief and wear them out for the series tonight.

Liriano started four games last year.

Trust me. The kid has FILTHY stuff.

Think about Johan Santana, only Liriano might actually end up being better.

And remember...I live in Minnesota. I watch the Twins a lot. They're pretty bad this year, but Liriano has been a bright spot.

If they hold him to 60-70 pitches, then Gardenhire and Rick Anderson are dumber than I think they are - and I think they're pretty dumb.

EDIT TO ADD: If this pitch count report is true, then it greatly increases the chances of us seeing a gas can middle reliever in the middle innings. They have Guerrier in the pen, who is okay but not really good, and Silva, who has turned into one of the worst pitchers in the AL now that all the hard-hit balls people get against him aren't finding gloves anymore.

Crain is hittable, too, and Roidcon drives people nuts over here, though he's been effective so far this year.

If it gets to Nathan, we're probably toast, though he hasn't exactly had a bunch of save chances so far.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Leaving for the game now. I expect us to look a little clueless the 1st time around the lineup, but we should figure him out eventually. If they are holding him to a low pitch count, then i expect 6th or 7th inning Fireworks.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

"Pretty Lineups"

Minnesota Milwaukee --------- --------- Pos Player HR RBI AVG. Pos Player HR RBI AVG. --- ------ -- --- ---- --- ------ -- --- ---- LF Stewart, Shannon 2 17 .301 2B Weeks, Rickie 3 10 .284 2B Castillo, Luis 2 20 .341 3B Cirillo, Jeff 1 4 .361 C Mauer, Joe 2 17 .307 RF Jenkins, Geoff 6 27 .280 CF Hunter, Torii 8 27 .268 LF Lee, Carlos 15 35 .283 1B Cuddyer, Michael 3 11 .312 1B Fielder, Prince 8 24 .311 RF Ford, Lew 1 5 .250 SS Hall, Bill 8 17 .288 3B Batista, Tony 3 12 .242 C Miller, Damian 4 21 .311 SS Castro, Juan 0 7 .233 CF Clark, Brady 1 8 .250 P Liriano, Francisco (1-0, 3.22) P Davis, Doug (2-2, 5.14) 

Archived