Brewer Fanatic

Ben Sheets leaves game with injury; elbow issue lingering since August 26 (reply #29)

ELCABALLO45

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this injury puts Sheets on the shelf for the season, it actually kind of makes me glad that the team folded the last two weeks. It allowed me to gradually go through the 5 stages of Brewer grief. Riding high and then having this injury occur would have been devastating. Having the season come to an end over the span of two weeks is a heck of a lot easier than seeing it end in an instant. As it is, this still stinks, but since I'm already in the acceptance stage I'm taking this news in stride. Ahhh, thus is the life of a Brewer fan.

I love Ben Sheets, he's been the one staple on this team since he came up from the minors. Through all the losing he was there.. but it's time for him to go, just like it was time for Jenkins to go.. He'll be serviceable but he'll never have another season like '04 and if that's the case then he's not worth near the money he'll command.

Associated injuries with forearm tightness, tingling, numbness, discomfort, etc...

Ulnar nerve injury (elbow)

Median nerve injury (arm, elbow, hand)

Shingles

Insect bite

Chemical burn

Spinal stenosis

Broken wrist

So unless Sheets came down with shingles, was bitten by a Black Widow, spilled some acid on his arm, broke his wrist, or has narrowing of the spine, I'm gonna go ahead and get prepared for word that Sheets is slated for Tommy John.

In all seriousness, I hope it's just a cramp like it always is with Zambrano.

To this point in his career this would have been his single biggest game pitching for the Milwaukee Brewers. I'm sure he didn't want to sit down, or least I hope he didn't, but this is exactly the reason why I want no part of resigning him. Take the 2 picks and let him go someplace else...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Do you really thing Ben could win his 14th game in a single season for the Brewers? I think if he did win it, he'd be found dead the next moring. It's like he's in some bad horror movie. Anything over 12 wins and the grim reaper comes looking for him.

If he is done for the year how many millions does this cost him in FA?

Do the brewers still offer him arby? Any chance he accepts a one year deal to prove he's healthy?

If it is a bad injury this could kill any chance the Brewers had for draft picks. They have to offer arby and if he need TJS or some other surgery he will accept arby and we get nothing but a broke down pitcher rehabbing.

Edit: I'm really hopping none of this happens for both sides.

This should be the final nail in the coffin enclosing Ben's last season in Milwaukee. There is no way that the team can resign him as the risk is too great. He has proven time and time again that he is prone to injury and I have a hard time dealing with the fact that his two best seasons have come in contract years.

If the Brewers can get two draft picks for him, they should be more than willing to let him go. I am holding out hope that they will somehow be able to able to resign CC but if not, the farm system should get another strong shot in the arm.

If they can pick up another pitcher in a deal, the Brewers may not be in that bad of shape without CC and Ben. Assume they trade Prince for Matt Cain and prospects....

Rotation:
Gallardo
Cain
Parra
Bush
Suppan

...Of course this rotation is not nearly as strong as it this year's, but you have to look at what the rest of the NL central will bring to the table. Chicago will likely be losing Dempster (16-6, ERA: 3.02) and Harden could easily spend half of the season on the DL (His 23 starts this year are his most since 2004).

As for the offense, if they can find a serviceable 1B to replace Prince, they should easily be able to make up for the drop off by filling the black hole that was at 3B this year.

Brittle Ben has showed up again when the Brewers needed him the most. Some one call the WI State Patrol and arrest Brittle Ben he has robbed the Brewers fans time and time again with his weak body and stolen many dollars from Brewer Management.

Brittle Ben please close the door when you leave just like long time crook Geoff "One White Hot Month" Jenkins.

Whenever the team needs him most, he whimpers out with an "injury".
I'm not sure if it's fair to accuse Sheets of faking or overstating an injury as you basically did with your post. Have you ever thrown a 95mph fastball or a 12-6 curveball? Do you know what it takes to do that or what type of physical shape you need to be in? Sheets is a competitor but, unfortunately, he's also injury prone. I doubt that he ever overplayed an injury so that he didn't have to pitch. If he had forearm tightness that made it difficult to pitch effectively (which I think was evident in the 2nd inning), then I would rather have him come out that try to "grit" through it and possibly cost the Brewers a win.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Not too surprised, Yost abused him most of the season even though he probably should have been babied and this is what we get for it. Just glad that joke of a manager is gone. He did the same exact thing with Parra as well which is why it doesn't surprise me Parra is struggling.

Archived