Brewer Fanatic

Should Corey Hart be moved to 1b?

JJHardy7

This is a thought that just popped in my head and I was wondering what others thought. If Prince is here next year, obviously Hart won't be moved to 1b. If Prince is moved in a trade, 1b has a huge hole to fill. I've never really been sold on Hart's defense and if everything plays right (maybe Gamel is a better OF than Hart, we can find a talented OF easier than a 1b, etc) there might be an opportunity to move Hart to 1b.

I know it's been a few years since he played the position in the minors, but I think Hart would make a very good 1b. I'm just throwing the idea out there again if all things would to fall in place maybe this could happen?

I for the life of me can't figure out why so many are ready to throw Corey under the bus. He has been moved more than a family in witness protection.

I watch every Brewer Game on MLB and generally the feed is from the opposing team. Every opposing club announcers to a man says the same thing. They all agree that he is a very athletic RF. They all say that Braun plays LF cautiously. He makes very few spectacular plays and generally plays a step or to deeper to make sure that he has a play on every ball. Anything over his head he gives up on and plays it of the fence for a double or more. And Cameron in my opinion has lost a step or two, but he still mans center field better than most.

Just a thought from the past. If Dave Krynsel had not been such a hard head and would have used the bunt as a part of his arrsenal. LF-Braun CF-Dave RF- Corey

This could have been one of the best outfields in baseball for several years

I think Hart has room to improve in RF, but I also believe that he has all of the necessary skills / tools to play out there. His arm is pretty good, and he's one of the fastest players on the team (despite his size). He's not Adam Dunn-bad in the field.

If Prince is traded in the off-season, I'd rather find someone whose bat plays at 1b, than trying to find a replacement outfielder. Unfortunately, I think it's an open question as to whether Corey's bat justifies an everyday role at 1b; his 2007 was great, but his '06 and '08 numbers are rather pedestrian.

Admittedly, though, I haven't seen Gamel play at either position. Assuming he's the replacement for Prince, the net effect of the rf/1b decision for Hart is virtually nil....so I don't see much of an advantage in forcing 2 players to adjust to new positions.

Having a 6'6" first baseman ala Dlee who in the paper showed he was on base on the dp grounder Cameron hit into would save so many infielders errors Prince allowed this year no fault to him but being 5'9" hurts. Also it doesn't help having Sveum rip Dale Scott saying it was a blatant he came off the bag. Wow with Dale behind the plate tonight. Ripping the umps when it is proven they were right is not a great way to start your 12 game managerial career.

There are about 100 different scenarios that could play out this season, more than in years past.

Trade Fielder, trade Corey, trade Hardy, trade Weeks, trade Hall, move Weeks to CF, move Hardy to 3B, move Hardy to 2B, move Gamel to 1B, move Gamel to the OF, call up Escobar, decline Cameron's option, resign Sheets, resign Sabathia, let both go, acquire a new 3B, acquire a new 2B, acquire a new 1B, acquire a new CF, trade for a SP, sign a free agent SP...

Determining the best of these options will probably depend on info that we as fans will never be entitled to. Which free agents want to come here? What team is offering great value, and for which player? Is Hardy open to a position change?

I think its going to be incredibly hard to speculate on the team's offseason direction, more difficult than in year's past, at least until the first domino falls.

So yes, I can see scenarios play out where Hart to 1B does make perfect sense. I can also easily see him staying put, or even moving to CF. I wouldn't be against any of the above, until I see it in context.

EDIT: And I know a lot of this usually goes without saying, but I just want to emphasize how difficult speculating this year will be.

There are about 100 different scenarios that could play out this season, more than in years past.

Trade Fielder, trade Corey, trade Hardy, trade Weeks, trade Hall, move Weeks to CF, move Hardy to 3B, move Hardy to 2B, move Gamel to 1B, move Gamel to the OF, call up Escobar, decline Cameron's option, resign Sheets, resign Sabathia, let both go, acquire a new 3B, acquire a new 2B, acquire a new 1B, acquire a new CF, trade for a SP, sign a free agent SP...

Determining the best of these options will probably depend on info that we as fans will never be entitled to.

I will be stunned to see wholesale changes. It almost never works to completely makeover a team, shift everyone around and then expect to win a championship. Most GMs will look at what is the simplest, most cost effective way to get the biggest improvement over the previous year's team. I think with the Brewers that will come in the form of the the same defense lineup except for a new 3B and possibly a new 2B; and one or two veteran new starting pitchers from trade or free agency. Probably add another reliever or two.

I know this is not a perfect team and there are weaknesses that need to be addressed. But it's important to remember this is a team that played .645 ball for 2/3rds of the season, from the Boston series to Sept. 1. They can't be complacent, but neither should they revamp the entire team. 95 wins are not that far off.

Agreed. I just thought I'd throw it out there since I haven't heard it mentioned, but you are right that there's tons of things that could happen.

I cannot imagine a situation where I'd want to move an athletic, decent defensively OF (with the potential to be well above average) to a position in which his low OBP will make him well below average.

I'm not trying to say this would be a great move. I just threw it out there. I think I just would love the fact of having a really tall 1B that IMO would be a huge upgrade as a whole for the defense (granted we'd have to find an OF). I think Hart's length would reduce errors and non-errors that are currently happening with Prince. I don't think Hart is terrible in the field. I just think this team's defense is not where it needs to be and if they lose CC and Sheets the team is going to have to improve fundamentals if it wants to make the playoffs. Keeping Cameron is a non brainer, but what else can be done? As long as Prince is at first, I think our defense will be average at best. He's just too short and his weight isn't helping. Prince has been very hot of late so his trade value could be high this off-season.

joepepsi wrote:

I will be stunned to see wholesale changes. It almost never works to completely makeover a team, shift everyone around and then expect to win a championship. Most GMs will look at what is the simplest, most cost effective way to get the biggest improvement over the previous year's team.

After an unprecedented manager firing, I am not sure what to expect from our owner. I would think the most likley scenario is trying to improve one or 2 positions and acquiring some starting pitching but who knows.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The Baseball Tonight guys (see my sig to know what I think of ESPN...but anyways) said that they could see a Prince and Hardy to the Giants for Cain + something. With Escobar and Gamel ready to play, hypothetically, I could see a trade like this happening. Follow the A's/Twins mold and have long-term success...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

The Baseball Tonight guys (see my sig to know what I think of ESPN...but anyways) said that they could see a Prince and Hardy to the Giants for Cain + something. With Escobar and Gamel ready to play, hypothetically, I could see a trade like this happening. Follow the A's/Twins mold and have long-term success...
I heard that as well, NO WAY we are trading Fielder AND Hardy for Cain.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah, Hart's bat doesn't exactly play as a 1B right now. I realize that he was pretty good most of the year, but he had to carry a pretty low OBP all year to have it dip to .310 after a 3 week slump. 27 walks for a guy that has played almost every day in the middle of september is plain bad, and that's putting it mildly.

No, Hart really hasn't been good most of the year, he was ok for the first half and downright dismal since the All Star break. As to who plays RF, Brad Nelson. Yeah he isn't a world beater defensively, but he's left handed and can actually hit unlike Gwynn.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No, Hart really hasn't been good most of the year, he was ok for the first half and downright dismal since the All Star break.
Well, he had an .831 OPS at the break, and an .822 OPS as recently as Sep 2nd, which would have been a drop of .009 points in that time. I didn't say he had been a world beater, and an .822 OPS would qualify (in my book) as "pretty good for most of the year", as that time frame encompasses that entire body of work, including hot and cold streaks. With his low OBP, he's still hit a ton of doubles and 20 homers, so his SLG to some extent gives him value.

It's only in the last 2 weeks where he hasn't been able to do squat.

Man, in times like this I wish we had a LHB outfielder with good defense and solid OBP skills.

Oh wait, we had him, his name was Gabe Gross, and we gave him away for nothing. He now is OPSing .779 in Tampa with a .342 OBP, which would make him one of the best members of our team at getting on base.

Corey does have excellent athleticism but is not a good right fielder. Many times he gets near balls but doesn't catch them. His arm is well below average for a right fielder and his set-up/anticipation for throws is poor to accentuate the arm deficiency. 1st base would be an excellent option. His physical ability and wing span would be an enormous upgrade for the Brewers at this position. Jettison Prince to the American League asap for a decent pitcher or prospects.

Hart's speed would be wasted at first base. I know he's not the best right fielder, but he is still learning the position and, in my opinion, getting gradually better at it. His speed allows him to get to balls that players like Gross would not even come close to. His arm strength isn't all that great, but if he works on his accuracy, he could be an above average defender. I know this last month has been miserable for Hart, but given the team's situation, I feel it's been an anomaly. I think Hart's value is in the outfield. Maybe they move him to left or center, but first would be a waste of his talent.

you see brad nelson ph last night? he is a big dude! not sure if he can play anywhere in the OF at the major league level with that physique.

hart at 1b is an interesting point that I had not thought of before. i think that we could see some roster shakeup this offseason, and Hart to 1b could be a possibility similar to what went on with Bill Hall last offseason. If Prince isnt here for whatever reason and we cant find a suitable replacement - Hart could fill at 1B and we could grab an OF. Not saying its likely or should happen, but could be a possibility...

Hart doesn't hit well enough to be a 1B. I don't think his OPS would even make league average.

That's the concern for me. I have no problems with his defense in RF, and think he's better than many fans are giving him credit for. He's not top-tier defensively, but he's certainly fine at RF.

It's only in the last 2 weeks where he hasn't been able to do squat.

Two week, four weeks, potato potahto... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Last 28 days for Hart: .202/.242/.344/.587

That's Counsell-esque

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived