Brewer Fanatic

Lineup Down the Stretch

sbrylski

No current designated thread, so I made a new one.

It seems the general consensus is the lineup should be shaken up for the last two weeks. There's been a few grumblings about Sveum's lineup last night, but I haven't seen many other ideas.

What about this radical beast:

LF Braun

SS Hardy

CF Cameron

1B Fielder

RF Hart

2B Weeks/Durham

3B Lamb//Counsell/Hall

Pitcher

C Kendall

I'm not necessarily for it, but I think it would be interesting to see. Ryan Braun is swinging out of his shoes on every first pitch, and it seems his average and OBP have plummeted with his P/PA. (Do the stats back this?) Maybe shoving him in the leadoff spot will force him to be a little more patient, and he'll walk a bit more or sit back a little and wait for the right pitch. 2B, Hardy and Cameron are really our next best OBP guys, any combo between 2/3/6 would work in this lineup. I put the guys with more pop at the top of the lineup, and also hitting Weeks/Durham 6th really lets Hart run when he needs too. And lastly, stick Kendall back behind the pitcher to hopefully get more base runners for Braun.

My dream would be to see Durham get some time at 3B. Yes, I know he's never played there, but much like sticking Braun in LF plays to his skillset, at this point I think 3B plays to Durham's. Not sure how I'd structure the lineup, but make 2B a mix of Durham, Weeks, & Counsell... 3B a mix of Durham, Counsell, Lamb, & Hall (Durham is acutally a solid choice to face LHP, let's not forget). For a fabricated lineup, I'd try sticking Durham atop the thing & keeping Hart further down:

Durham/Weeks

Hardy

Fielder

Braun

Cameron

Lamb/Hall/Counsell

Hart

Kendall

P

Fwiw, I wouldn't mind seeing Kendall back at the #9 slot either.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What about this radical beast:

LF Braun

SS Hardy

CF Cameron

1B Fielder

RF Hart

2B Weeks/Durham

3B Lamb//Counsell/Hall

Pitcher

C Kendall

Very "outside-the-box". It can't hurt to try anything right now. The only change I'd like to see would be flipping Hardy and Cameron. Cameron is more of a 3TO type, which I like in the 2 spot. Hardy is too much of a DP liability, and doesn't the 3rd spot come up more than any spot with the bases empty?

The line up I'd like to see is this.

2B Weeks - say what you want but for the last month he did what was needed for a lead off man / give Durham about 1/3 of starts left.
3B Counsell / Hall - use to advance the runner to second
RF Hart - putting Corey 3rd gets him better pitches to hit. I know he has struggled, but some of the strike calls he gets are pathetic. Now they would have to throw to him.
1B Prince - he really is starting to hit right now.
LF Braun - who better to protect Prince with than Braun
SS Hardy - until last night had been making contact not a lot to show for it but usually a little bit better disciplined at the plate
CF Cameron - just because he has to bat somewhere
C Kendall
P

Durham
Hardy
Braun
Fielder
Hart
Gamel/Counsel (what's the worst that can happen? One game, that's all I ask. If he goes O'fer and boots one that's not much worse than Hall)
Cameron
Rivera/kendall

Also, I would go to the bench more often, and not be so set on non-productive vets. (i.e. Cam, Kendall, Counsel)

Hart

Hardy

Braun

Fielder

Cameron

Weeks

3B

C

P

Why Hart at leadoff? Our worst on-base regular getting the highest # of PA? I genuinely want to hear your reasoning here Endder.

Because like others have said I think hitting leadoff gets into Weeks head. He takes too many good pitches and seems to try to force the 3-2 count.

Could easily have said Cameron instead of Hart but I don't think anyone on the team makes a really good leadoff hitter. Closest we get is Weeks who apparently isn't going to play every day.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hart has a .310 OBP for the year, and .287 since the ASB. He needs less at bats, not more.

Since I'm going to be critical, it's only fair that I throw my idea out there.....

1. Weeks/Durham

2. Kendall

3. Braun

4. Fielder

5. Hardy

6. Cam

7. Counsell/Hall

8. Hart

Watching last night with Counsell hitting in front of Kendall with 2 outs makes me cringe. You absolutely have to get no less than 3 hits in a row to score a run with those 2 hitting back to back. I know Kendall is scuffling as much as anybody, but at the very least, splitting him and Counsell up means that if one or the other gets on, they might have a chance to score.

I wouldn't want this lineup full time for a season's worth of games, but anything is worth trying right now.

For the team that truly lives or dies on the home run:

Braun

Cameron

Fielder

Hart

Hardy

Rivera

Weeks

Gamel

Pitcher

This is totally based on what I perceive the slugging percentages are, from highest to lowest, without looking at Baseball Reference.com. I am basing my lineup on the all star game where Bo Jackson led off with a home run followed by another shot from Wade Boggs. The AL manager wanted to put as much pressure on the NL as he could right off the bat.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ugh, RoCo, I'd hate Kendall in the 2 spot. If you want to split them up, how about just leave Counsell on the bench?

I didn't say I liked it, I'm going on the assumption that Sveum isn't much different than Yost, and is going to continue to play Counsell as much as possible. I don't like Kendall in the 2 hole, but he strikes out a lot less than Counsell, and he does carry a decent OBP (contextually speaking of course)

Weeks

Braun

Hardy

Fielder

Cameron

Lamb/Hall

Hart

Rivera/Kendall, more of Rivera

Pitcher

We cant continue to have 7-9 of Counsell, Kendall, Pitcher where you have three automatic outs in a row. I would also make sure Kendall gets pinch hit for 7th inning or later whenever he starts and gwynn to be nothing more than a pinch runner. If kapler was healthy I would have him replace hart in the lineup.

Stevo wrote:

Same, except Lamb more at third than Counsell.

I keep forgetting Lamb is even on the team.

Don't worry, two years from now no one will remember that Mike Lamb was even on the team. Just like no one remembers David Bell was our 3B just two years ago.

Archived