Brewer Fanatic

Vote for Huntsville's Fan Promotion of the Year

Mass Haas

We'll help out our friends in Huntsville by posting GM Buck Rogers' message:

Minor League Baseball has a new fan poll on its web site. It lists the top 10 promotions of the year as determined by MiLB promotions writer Ben Hill. The voting is open and like they say in Chicago, vote early and vote often. To vote, go to www.minorleaguebaseball.com and scroll to the lower right side of the page. If you click on each promotion you will get a description of the event.

Here are your 10 finalists:

Everett AquaSox - Win Spyder Webb's Car

Fresno Grizzlies - Mascot Showdown

Huntsville Stars - First Pitch World Record

Kane County Cougars - Pillow Fight World Record

Lancaster JetHawks - Skateboard Giveaway

Quad Cities River Bandits - Tattoo Night

Reading Phillies - Spam Carving Competition

South Bend Silver Hawks - Josh Collmenter Mustache Awareness Night

State College Spikes - Night of 100 Promotions

West Michigan Whitecaps - Dave Rozema Karate Kick Bobbleleg

The voting will run through next Wednesday, September 24th and an article on the winner will run the following day.

2007's Promotion of the Year was the Fort Myers Miracle's "Billy Donovan Night."

I don't know about you, but giving away a clubhouse manager's car didn't necessitate opening the gates 19 hours early. That's like putting lipstick on a pig. A karate bobbleleg or a skateboard giveaway? Pleeease. I know you'll do the right thing and vote your conscience so we can clean up this list of unflattering wannabes and lead our nation, um, team into a bright future.

You came out throughout the night, 'weathered' some light rain, suffered in the Alabammy heat and humidity and set the record of 11,689 first pitches. I don't know how much effort you have to put into a pillow fight, but I think Stars fans deserve better than being in this company.

Log on to www.minorleaguebaseball.com and get it done. You're voting for your efforts against some cheesy competition. Make sure your friends and neighbors get the link and vote as well. I think it'll take about 11,689 votes to win this thing.

For those that are undecided and have trouble casting a vote, I just wanted to make a final pitch for our promotion from an old friend of our, Colonel Jessup.

"We live in a world that has polls and those polls need to be guarded by men with votes. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You vote for car and skateboard giveaways and curse the task of getting out of a warm bed, facing the rain and throwing pitches, like Ben Gay isn't available for us crusty ol' folks when it's all said and done...you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that some of those other team's promotions, while remotely amusing, probably saved their bottom line and their very existence with minimum effort and planning, while ours is grotesque and incomprehensible to you. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that poll, you need me on that poll. We use words like humor, fun, fan loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life in Huntsville trying to defend something while playing in the oldest stadium in the league. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very fun we provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a telephone and help sell a promotional idea. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to...now vote for the Stars and Cabinet NG's World Record First Pitch promotion." - Col Jessup.

WOW! What can I say. As Colonel Jessup wrote that I had the National Anthem going off in my head, fireworks shooting in the background...it was like Boon and Otter defending themselves and Delta House against double secret probation in the movie 'Animal House.' A more patriotic and justifiable reason to vote for us has never been written or spoken and I must stop and wipe a tear from my eye.

OK, Stars fans, you know we're in it for the fun. We laugh at ourselves and have had a great season with you. We don't really care if you vote for us, but you'll have a good laugh reading about some of the best promotions of the year and voting for the one you thing was the best. I'm Buck Rogers and I approve this message.

We're down to 203 days and a wakeup until baseball season begins again.

As always, Rock On.

Buck Rogers

General Manager

Huntsville Stars

AA Affiliate - Milwaukee Brewers

Archived