Brewer Fanatic

05/20/2006 Twins (Baker) @ Brewers (Hendrickson) 6:05 pm CST

steve267268

Rarely will I say this about a guy with so few innings under his belt, but Ben Hendrickson sucks. And that's coming from a guy who has defended him a lot in the past.

He makes me yearn for David Manning.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

When Melvin moved Hendrickson up to the majors, it wasn't to be in the bullpen.

Yes it was actually, since Hedrickson was brought up to replace Fernandez as the long-relief man and actually made his first appearance of the season out of the pen.

Rarely will I say this about a guy with so few innings under his belt, but Ben Hendrickson sucks. And that's coming from a guy who has defended him a lot in the past.

I agree with you there Brett. Ben's career is over with the Brewers. They probably will option him to AAA, but I probably have a better chance starting a game for the Brewers than Ben Hendrickson. If the Brewers do keep Ben in Milwaukee then his nickname has to be changed from "Little" Ben to "batting practice" Ben.

Great! Picnic area finally pays off.

Community Moderator

With 40% of the rotation consisting of Eveland and Hendrickson for the foreseeable future, I can forsee another 90 loss season come September.

Eveland and Hendrickson have been 40% of the rotation for about a week now, and we were 5-1 coming into this series on the homestand.

Helling will be back and in the rotation soon.

Seriously, it least the six runs were given up early the Brewers still have eight innings to chip away. Baker has been equally as bad for the Twins, and some of their better bullpen guys pitched last night and thus won't be able to pitch much today if at all.

Quote:
Eveland and Hendrickson have been 40% of the rotation for about a week now, and we were 5-1 coming into this series on the homestand.

How do you figure Peavey? The Brewers have lost every game Hendrickson has pitched in this year (Houston, @LA, @SD) being down four runs early doesn't make things look real good for tonight either. So the Brewers are more like 1-4 in games either Eveland or Hendrickson pitched.

I really don't care, I said over a year ago this guy is terrible, all I heard give the guy a chance blah blah blah!!! what is he 1-10 career, It's a joke and its not inappropriate.

This guy is the epitome of the player who excels at AAA and can't convert that over to the bigs. His stuff, frankly, is not good enough. He is not a major league pitcher. The only reason some fans think he's going to be good is because he is in our organization. People's visions of reality are sometimes clouded by one's love for a team and a player's shortcomings or 'suckiness' is brushed to the wayside because of the 'upside' that people would like to think someone has.

Community Moderator

How do you figure Peavey? The Brewers have lost every game Hendrickson has pitched in this year (Houston, @LA, @SD) being down four runs early doesn't make things look real good for tonight either. So the Brewers are more like 1-4 in games either Eveland or Hendrickson pitched.

I'm not sure I get your question. We were 5-1 on the homestand coming into this series, which is what I said.

The point I was making was that despite having them as 40% of the rotation, we won 5 and lost one in the course of that week. I don't think them having a 90 loss season is predictable at this point.

And nothing like giving the Twins 5 outs in this inning....

Also, Carlos Lee has had a pretty bad May, and is now 2 for his last 19, without a homer since May 9th. Whenever Jenkins has a bad stretch like that people are all over him, but not a peep about Lee.

You seem to be doing a pretty good job getting on Carlos, Peavey. So do Bill Hall and Rickie Weeks also need to "try" on defense too?

ZING!

I actually had to endure a Manning start in person. I believe, off the top of my head, that he went 1 1/3 and gave up seven. It's the only time I've ever booed someone at a game. Burba came in and dominated, though.

Community Moderator

People's visions of reality are sometimes clouded by one's love for a team and a player's shortcomings or 'suckiness' is brushed to the wayside because of the 'upside' that people would like to think someone has.

I don't see how people's visions can be blurred by a guy that had pitched in 10 games total coming into this year.

Now, yes, his future is very bleak, but coming in, there was still justifiable optimism.

Community Moderator

You seem to be doing a pretty good job getting on Carlos, Peavey. So do Bill Hall and Rickie Weeks also need to "try" on defense too?

Hall's play was bad, but not because of a clear lack of effort like Carlos has displayed in this series.

And Rickie's defense is simply horrible, wouldn't you agree?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Ty Taubenheim reminder bump (Toronto @ Colorado, 7:00 Central) -- maybe you'd like to follow at least on Gameday tonight.

MLB.TV customers can watch live or the archive later on.

I'm pretty sure Ty will retire at least one batter http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif .

There's a Ty thread in the Major League Forum.

Archived