Brewer Fanatic

9/17/08 Brewers (Sheets) at Cubs (Marquis): 7:05 PM CDT... Biggest start of Ben's career?

naivin

He doesn't want to get hurt, but I don't think Sheets tries as hard as I would like to avoid injuries. All these 'fluke' injuries IMO point to the fact that he hasn't kept himself in shape.

I'm sorry but isn't that just blind speculation? As if Sheets was ever really out of shape. It just seems odd to say that when we have CC on the team.

Alright. I'm going to stop polluting the IGT with the same old, same old. There's a rather important game going on.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather have 150 innings a year of 3.25 ERA than 200 innings of a 4.25 ERA.
But the problem is, when you get a 5 ERA out of those 50 innings when the 3.25 ERA is on the shelf, when you add it all up don't you end up getting something like 200 innings of 4.25 ERA (I didn't actually work the numbers)?

I'm sorry but isn't that just blind speculation? As if Sheets was ever really out of shape. It just seems odd to say that when we have CC on the team.

I've posted rumblings in other threads from what players who have roomed with Sheets in the minors and played with him say about his work ethic. I won't get into it here since it's apparently a subject that gets people going one way or another. I would just simply ask why has Sheets' uni gotten baggy? Fielder gets a pass, but not Sheets? Sheets hasn't put on Fielder weight, but my guess is he's 25 lbs heavier or so since his rookie year. You can believe it or not, but I'm not going to go into throwing my 'facts' out and pissing people off. I think one fact is Sheets is 'baggier' in terms of uni than he once was.

Even if I'm wrong...why does Sheets keeping getting hurt? Is it dumb luck or is there more to it? The Brewers would have a good idea bout this...and they didn't offer him a contract this past off-season...I wonder if there's a reason why.

I'm just waiting for someone to find the link where it says that forearm tightness is usually a sign of a shredded ulnar collateral ligament. That's pretty much how I'm accustomed to this thing going with Brewer pitchers. Carlos Zambrano on the other hand, has forearm tightness 2-3 times a year and all he does is either make his next start or take a few extra days off and throw a no-hitter.

I also have a feeling DiFelice will be in Milwaukee's rotation next year. I've seen him plenty and I'm not saying he's going to be a stud. I will say I think he could be a very solid #4 or #5. His stuff isn't going to have scouts raving, but it will get the job done.

Maybe someone can explain this to me. How come when a starting pitcher is pulled early in the game and the pitching spot is up next inning, the manager doesn't go with a 1 inning reliever? They never do and I don't get it.
Yost actually did this the other day when Parra got knocked out. Dillard came in for an inning and then McClung entered for long relief.

But the problem is, when you get a 5 ERA out of those 50 innings when the 3.25 ERA is on the shelf, when you add it all up don't you end up getting something like 200 innings of 4.25 ERA (I didn't actually work the numbers)?

No. Assume that a guy pitches 150 innings and gives up 54 earned runs, that's a 3.24 ERA. Then the replacement gives up 28 earned runs in 50 innings for a 5.04 ERA. 54 + 28 = 82, 82 x 9 =738, 738 / 200 = 3.69

Archived