Brewer Fanatic

9/17/08 Brewers (Sheets) at Cubs (Marquis): 7:05 PM CDT... Biggest start of Ben's career?

naivin
It might not make us better but at least we won't be blowing $10 mil+ on a guy we can't count on at the top of our rotation. Some people are just enthralled with Sheets merely because he was drafted by the Brewers. After this season, he's some other team's problem.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just hope this is precautionary and not a serious thing. I don't like the looks of anything around the elbow, though.

I hope its NOT just a precautionary thing. Sheets probably leads the league in "appearances ending in cautionary removal." What are we being cautious about? If he's hurt, fine. But if I hear tomorrow morning that he's not going to miss a start, that this was just "tightness" I'm going to be pissed. He's a thought - stretch a little better and you won't get tight.

My point was simply that I'll NEVER understanding people getting angry AT a player for getting hurt. Get angry/sad/frustrated at the SITUATION and you'll hear nothing from me. But at the PLAYER? It's like getting mad at someone for getting hit by a car.

I know your not posting based on my posts, but Sheets injury history around here is a huge debate. You have those saying he's injury prone, those saying he's not and it's a fluke, and people like me (probably wrong) saying it is Sheets' fault since he doesn't keep himself in shape. He doesn't want to get hurt, but I don't think Sheets tries as hard as I would like to avoid injuries. All these 'fluke' injuries IMO point to the fact that he hasn't kept himself in shape.

The injury is tightness of the right forearm. Bye, bye Ben.

It might not make us better but at least we won't be blowing $10 mil+ on a guy we can't count on at the top of our rotation. Some people are just enthralled with Sheets merely because he was drafted by the Brewers. After this season, he's some other team's problem.
No, most of us like him because when healthy he can be one of the better starters in all of baseball. At least in the top 15 or so starters out there. Now unfortunately he has run into some injury problems, but that doesn't change the fact that he's been very very good when healthy. I'm sure nearly every team in the league would have loved to have Sheets in their rotation this year, even with the injuries he's had.

No, but here's a thought...how about we take that $12million, even increase it a little and sign somebody who might consstently make (and finish) 30+ starts.

I'm not advocating signing Sheets to a long contract. Too much risk in years 3, 4, etc... The Brewers will NOT be a better team with whatever they do with that $12 mil next year, though. I'd rather have 150 innings a year of 3.25 ERA than 200 innings of a 4.25 ERA. Maybe I am underestimating what you can get for that kind of money, starting pitching wise?

Maybe someone can explain this to me. How come when a starting pitcher is pulled early in the game and the pitching spot is up next inning, the manager doesn't go with a 1 inning reliever? They never do and I don't get it.

Because usually the game is kinda out of reach and they don't want to unnecessarily use a bullpen arm? I dunno. Your guess is as good as mine.

Not complaining about DeFelice being in there though.

I'm not advocating signing Sheets to a long contract. Too much risk in years 3, 4, etc... The Brewers will NOT be a better team with whatever they do with that $12 mil next year, though. I'd rather have 150 innings a year of 3.25 ERA than 200 innings of a 4.25 ERA. Maybe I am underestimating what you can get for that kind of money, starting pitching wise?

Well your posts tend to come of as your right and others are wrong. What are you advocating? It seems like you're saying the Brewers should let him go and in the end it seems like others are agreeing with you.

Archived