Brewer Fanatic

9/17/08 Brewers (Sheets) at Cubs (Marquis): 7:05 PM CDT... Biggest start of Ben's career?

naivin
  • Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I like about Pinella and in my mind what makes him lightyears better than Yost...

"Two things I don't do," Piniella said. "I don't manage with hunches and I don't have a doghouse."

In other words, Piniella said, in weighing lineup options he believes strongly in how a hitter has performed against a pitcher over a legitimate period of time-at least a dozen at-bats.

"I try to keep percentages in our favor as much as possible," Piniella said. "I believe in data, the more data the better. Baseball is a percentage game. If you can keep the percentages on your side, you're going to win more games than you lose. It's my job to put 25 men in the best position to win. After that you get out of their way and let their talent take over. You're not doing them any favors when you set them up to fail in an attempt not to hurt their feelings."

My goodness, if Yost was like this in any way at all, he might still be here.

This is what I like about Pinella and in my mind what makes him lightyears better than Yost...

"Two things I don't do," Piniella said. "I don't manage with hunches and I don't have a doghouse."

Fukudome would like to disagree. Alot of Cub fans as well don't like him that much.

To me 'doghouse' implies benching or displeasure for minor pecadillos, personal disagreements or for performance issues that keep one player out of the lineup while being overlooked in other players.

Seems to me Fukudome has just found the bench all on his own by stinking

It's not necessarily being in the doghouse if there are better options. Don't forget about the second part of the quote. He's not going to put you out there to fail if things aren't clicking. If either of those two show signs of life, they'll be right back out there. One thing is for sure, Shouse would not be in there walking lefties to face righties.

To me 'doghouse' implies benching or displeasure for minor pecadillos, personal disagreements or for performance issues that keep one player out of the lineup while being overlooked in other players.

Seems to me Fukudome has just found the bench all on his own by stinking

Methinks you deciphered Pinella-speak quite accurately.

Archived