Brewer Fanatic

2009 Schedule to be Released Wednesday

bucks2281

Our home opener sucks.

I love when visiting fans travel well...I do it all the time for the Badgers, Packers, Brewers, whatever...but baseball's Opening Day should be off limits. It's the one day where no matter how bad you may be, no one can tell you the season is going to be terrible, because it hasn't started yet. It's the most optimistic day of the year and a special moment to be shared between players and fans. Just my opinion.

Our IL schedule is "meh." Not counting the Twins series' every year, 2009 will mark 3 out of 4 consecutive years where the AL central is our foe. I guess a visit to see the Crew in Cleveland or Detroit would be fun, but what about NY, Seattle, Oakland, etc one of these years?

Based on this year's standings, our September schedule is rough: 9 vs. STL (!), 7 vs. CHC, 4 vs. Philly, and 3 vs. AZ

Our longest road trips are two 9-gamers, one in April, one in August, both vs. some pretty good teams.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our IL schedule is "meh." Not counting the Twins series' every year, 2009 will mark 3 out of 4 consecutive years where the AL central is our foe. I guess a visit to see the Crew in Cleveland or Detroit would be fun, but what about NY, Seattle, Oakland, etc one of these years?
Technically, last season it was NL Central vs. AL West. However, with 6 six in one division and 4 in the other, it created a bunch of scheduling nightmares, and we ended up with Texas, Detroit, and Kansas City. Texas had been the only team the Brewers had never faced in IL. 2010 is the West again, and if we get two series, I'd bet any money we're at Seattle and get Oakland. The A's have never been to Miller Park and the Brewers have never been to Safeco.

I'm sure they'll do something to combat Cubs fans at Opening Day. Maybe make the tickets only available to season ticket holders, or require purchases of other games or something.

That does nothing from regular people getting the tickets in a package and putting them on ebay though.

Brewers start and end on the road, I thought that was never supposed to happen.

Also the season is shifted about a week later than normal, I am guessing that is related to the World Baseball Classic???

Is 2009 last year for the dome in Minnesota? I know it is crappy for baseball, but I've never been there and thinking maybe making a trip for the memorial day weekend series there.

They'll probably do like they did this year where you need to buy at least a 9-pack to get opening day tickets. No more Cubs fans buying "just" a 4-pack to get tickets for that game. And any tickets not sold as part of packages should go to the local bars as a "make-good" for screwing them this year with Opening Day.

Well, at least we get the Cubs at home. Of course it's 9-8 and not 9-6 like the Cubs have gotten the past couple of years.

Three three city road trips next year. One in April, one in May and one in August. Cubs have four three city road trips. Two in June, one in August and one in September.

The Indians, Tigers and Twins in interleague. How new and refreshing!

The Brewers at home on my birthday against the Nationals. That's a welcome sight after the last two years when they've had the Cardinals on the road and Cubs at home.

If teams have around the same talent level this year as they do next year then August is a cupcake month. 5 against San Diego (2 road, 3 home), 3 against Los Angeles (3 road), 6 against Houston (3 road, 3 home), 6 against Pittsburgh (3 road, 3 home), 4 against Washington (4 road) and 3 against Cincinnati (3 home).

It's so much smarter having us play 6 times at Miller Park in the first month of the season than 6 times at Wrigley Field. For that, I don't know if I should applaud MLB because that should be common sense to everybody. But I will say they finally realized it.

Don't like having New York and Philadelphia in April. The weather in the northeast can be brutal that time of year.

Eww, four games in Florida. We can't win there so chalk up four losses. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Why does the season start and end so late next year? Weird. This year the season started in March.

The World Baseball Classic is being played again next March...I'm guessing that they pushed everything back one week in order to accomodate the tournament itself and to allow those participating in the WBC to get enough Spring Training activities in beforehand.

They'll probably do like they did this year where you need to buy at least a 9-pack to get opening day tickets. No more Cubs fans buying "just" a 4-pack to get tickets for that game. And any tickets not sold as part of packages should go to the local bars as a "make-good" for screwing them this year with Opening Day.
Exactly how do the Brewers screw over the local bars? Last I checked they make a profit on the group outings they hold, particularly the in-demand games such as OD, Cubs, Twins, ect. Plus whenever they don't get what they want, they go to the media and throw the Brewers under the bus. Why should we do them any favors? As for the Cubs, just like this past OD, I would imagine a majority (about 75%) of the fans we be 9-pack holders or higher. There will be a certain percentage available for the online lottery as they have done in the pass, I think. If the Season ticket holders really want to go to OD and don't sell their tickets, Cubs fans will find it very hard to get into OD. Saturday and Sunday on the other hand...that could be bad news.

Well at least we will be playing October baseball in 2009! So we have that to look forward to.....which is nice!

Hahahaha, well played.

Opening Day with the Cubs seems to have disaster written all over it. As someone else stated, it's already rowdy enough with the people who just go to start drinking at 9am, but mix in the Cub fans as well? I think I will be avoiding Opening Day next year for the first time in years. Yuck.

Yep, that could well be the first Opening Day I miss in 20 years.

Remember how much people were getting on eBay last year for Opening Day? Imagine how much more they'll go for because of the Cubs.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

To everyone who is talking about not going to Opening Day because all the Cubs fans I have two words...Man Up! Seriously, this is exactly why so many Cub fans can get tickets to Miller Park. This is the very definition of a rivalry. Its messy. Its violent (figuratively{hopefully}). It's crazy. It's Opening Day, everyone's in first place. You all are already conceding the home field advantage from a crowd aspect, heck why even play the game. I just went into the Lions Den (Wrigley) decked out in full Brewers gear. You know what, I took a lot of crap. So what. I went down and represented my team, no matter how bad they were playing. On Sunday after the doubleheader I thought about not wearing Brewers gear, in fact I thought about not going at all. But then I realized that if I did that, the Cubs fans win. Screw it, you go, you try to have a fun time, and if the team loses, then they lose. There are worse things in the world. But at least I went down to Wrigley representing. If you don't want to come to OD because you don't want to deal with Cub fans, then to quote a line from the West Wing, "God, I don't even want to know you." Plus, as I said before, most of the tickets to OD will be going to Season seat holders, very few will be sold individually. So if you want to get mad at anyone for Cubs fans getting into Miller Park on Opening Day, go look for the 9-pack and higher ticket holders. There, that is my peep talk in regards to Opening Day.

Not that we need to turn this into another thread about Cubs fans at MP, but I was at 3 of the 4 games earlier this year, and I'll be at all 3 to finish the season against the Cubs. I understand people's complaints, and I generally agree that we have to show up, even if the atmosphere is less than ideal, to keep the Cubs fans out, but Opening Day is another bag altogether. Its hard enough to go to Opening Day with 10,000 excessively drunk "Brewers" fans, let alone to pile Cubs fans into that mix. As much alcohol that flows on Opening Day, mixed with that intense of a crowd situation, ya, I'll probably avoid that, despite what kind of a man and/or fan someone thinks that makes me.

Why does the season start and end so late next year? Weird. This year the season started in March.
I don't think it really has anything to do with the World Baseball Classic. I think it's just a matter of how the calander works out next year. April 1st is on a Wednesday. They generally like to start the season in April but will push it back to March if it's just one day. Look at all the other years wear April started on Weds - Fri, You'll generally find that they start the season in April, in those cases.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Buckhunts, it's not as much about the Cubs fans to me (as much as I hate them, I know I can out-party them), it's how much it may cost to get a ticket as a non-season ticket holder. I know I could buy a 9-er, but I'd end up eating a lot of them, but I may have to look into it.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Buckhunts, it's not as much about the Cubs fans to me (as much as I hate them, I know I can out-party them), it's how much it may cost to get a ticket as a non-season ticket holder. I know I could buy a 9-er, but I'd end up eating a lot of them, but I may have to look into it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I complete respect that. I would suggest trying to find someone to split it with you. Maybe someone on this very site would like to.?

To everyone who is talking about not going to Opening Day because all the Cubs fans I have two words...Man Up!

(snip)

If you don't want to come to OD because you don't want to deal with Cub fans, then to quote a line from the West Wing, "God, I don't even want to know you."

Then perhaps you will consider it for the best if you and I never meet in person, Buckhunts. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think it takes a certain personality type to be as "in your face" as many of the Cub fans who typically travel to MP and bug a lot of us in the process. If you have a high tolerance for taking a lot of crap, and the ability to give the crap back, I salute you. Not everyone does, and it doesn't make them less of a fan. I don't think it's a matter of "manning up."

How to contend with Cub fans at MP has been a recurring topic on Brewerfan, as well as how/whether to contend with opening day fans. I guess we will have a not-necessarily-harmonic convergence of both issues next spring, and surely more discussions of each.

I am not fond of either Cub fans (at least, the type who tend to descend upon MP) or the extreme drunkfest that Opening Day tends to be. My S.O. feels the same way, we typically pass on the home opener as a result, and likely will in 2009.

I understand the importance of keeping the tickets out of the hands of Cub fans. As 20-game ticket holders, if we select tickets to that game, I expect to offer them on this site, as we did in 2008, so that they stay in the hands of confirmed Brewers fans. That is my way of trying to be part of the solution without driving myself up the wall.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I am not fond of either Cub fans (at least, the type who tend to descend upon MP) or the extreme drunkfest that Opening Day tends to be. My S.O. feels the same way, we typically pass on the home opener as a result, and likely will in 2009.
You just admitted that you do not like to go to OD because you don't like the extreme party atmosphere. So you weren't going to go whether they were playing the Cubs or not. Then you did not fall into my category of people that don't want to go because of the Cubs. I understand that OD is not for anyone. I think most people assume that Opening Day is filled with with a lot of 1-2 game brewers fans (although I would argue that is not entirely the case anymore) and they are there have a party as much as watch the game. I'll put it this way, OD for us seems to be turning into every Cubs game (no one knows the score, people don't pay attention, and no ones where they are). I could totally see why some people would not want to be in that situation. Sounds like you weren't going to go that game anyways. So you are fine. BTW, the words I used to describe a Cubs game are the exact words (literally) used by the usher in my section last night to describe the crowd.

(edit: long nested quote --1992)

Archived