Brewer Fanatic

Mets Choking

RockCoCougars
In the joy of watching the Mets lose last night, the realization hit me....the Cubs are really good. Regardless of how many regulars they rest, the Brewers have still got their work cut out for them this weekend. The Mets squandering a 5-1 lead can be considered a choke, but with the Cubs ability to put runners on base, and drive the ball out of the park, no lead is really safe.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting column calling out the Mets fans for booing their team when they need support the most. Most of the words in the first paragraph or two could probably be used to describe the Brewers, too: http://www.newsday.com/sp...187sep25,0,3755241.column

The challenge for the (Mets/brewers) in the next four games is to find a way to make the playoffs despite one of the least reliable bullpens in the history of contenders. The challenge for their fans is to fill (Shea Stadium/Miller Park) and hold back on booing.

The comments section is pretty much blasting the columnist and David Wright for a couple of quotes he gave saying that New York is a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" town and that everyone just has to stay positive in times like these. They're trying to compare him to Alex Rodriguez while using that as an insult, which I don't quite understand.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Brewers bullpen has been at least average this year so don't really see how it can apply to the Brewers.
I would like to see the stats that show the Brewers bullpen as average. Maybe they exist but at least from a fans perspective the bullpen has been far from average

4th in ERA against

10th in OPS against

6th in SV%

6th in pen support (percentage of runs allowed inherited from starters)

8th in WXR (win expectancy added for RPs)

I'd say overall the bullpen is pretty much average. I guess some people could point at the ERA and say the bottom line has been above average or the OPS against and say the bottom line is below average but it most certainly hasn't been dominant or a complete disaster. It is somewhere in the middle.

Sorry those were NL. If they were MLB I'd be saying we were above average given the numbers. We have had a few real stinkers this year but overall the bullpen has been adequate. Better than I would have expected given Riske being hurt and Gagne being so terrible.

I would like to see the stats that show the Brewers bullpen as average. Maybe they exist but at least from a fans perspective the bullpen has been far from average.

What the crap does this even mean? From a fans perspective? That's just a silly statement.

Mets come back to win one tonight (against the Cubs b line up) but it probably let's them forget the terrible loss of last night. Should be a very interesting weekend. Looks like at least tomorrow's game will be rained out so if we can win the first 1-2 in the Cubs series we can put some SERIOUS pressure on them.

If Pinella holds true and starts the same lineup, even with Dempster (only throwing 80 pitches) tomorrow really is a MUST win game for us. Hope Suppan can figure it out....

Suppan is probably a 4.75-5.0 ERA pitcher. Demspter maybe a 3.75 ERA pitcher? AAA Cubs lineup.... Brewers have home field advantage.... The Brewers will be favored but I'm not sure it will be dramatically so. I'd guess that the Brewers will be 55/45 favorites.

Go Marlins!

They got rained out today, so their pitchers are well rested for the Mets series tomorrow.

Marlins SP lineup:

Chris Volstad on Friday

Ricky Nolasco on Saturday

Scott Olsen on Sunday.

Pretty good lineup and their other key pitchers will be available in the bullpen. The Marlins are a tough team and hopefully they give everything they got to beat the Mets.

Suppan is probably a 4.75-5.0 ERA pitcher. Demspter maybe a 3.75 ERA pitcher? AAA Cubs lineup.... Brewers have home field advantage....

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure this will be true. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Suppan is probably a 4.75-5.0 ERA pitcher. Demspter maybe a 3.75 ERA pitcher? AAA Cubs lineup.... Brewers have home field advantage....

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure this will be true. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

I agree, the Cubs will run their best out there all weekend. What Pinella did tonight was disgraceful. The fact they were up 6-3 and lost is admirable but to bench the majority of your offense in a game with playoff implications was disgraceful! Did I say DISGRACEFUL?!

Let's all hope the Marlins take care of business and we take care of business this weekend.

Well one game down and the Cubs played all their starters except DeRosa who is hurting. And I know they'll have their best in there again today. In fact, I wouldn't want them to do otherwise. Let the Brewers win in the right way.

OMG! One win and the Brewers are guaranteed a playoff game of some type for the first time in 26 years! (I must be dreaming)

Archived