Brewer Fanatic

Mets Choking

RockCoCougars

I guess the Mets splitting a 4 game series with the Nationals was sort of a gift.

I'm wondering how people see the mets performing over the remainder of the season.

The Mets are 6-9 against the Braves this year, but most of the losses came at their grizzly beginning of the season and were under Randolph at the helm. The Braves just lost 3 straight to the Phils, but 2 of the games were pretty close. Phillie has better pitching than NY right now, and definitely a better bullpen.

I'm worried that the Mets might actually play the Cubs well if the Cubs clinch soon. If the Cubs clinch, do they just sit all the regular pitchers right away and let them rest, or do they play the Mets fairly tough in order to gage them for the playoffs?

The Mets have a winning record against the Fish this year. I suppose the odds say they'll win that series, but I'll just play the irrational rationalization card and say that the Fish play spoiler in that series.

So, what are people's predictions? According to another thread, we're finishing out 8-1. What will the Mets do?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewers vs. Mets: See whose bullpen can suck the least!

Down to 1.5 games. Someone's gonna back their way into this.

If we get in, we basically need a winning record over the last 6. So technically, we might not be backing in anymore, depending on how large of a sample you want to take.

To tie:

WINS MIL NYM 86 1-5 0-7 87 2-4 1-6 88 3-3 2-5 89 4-2 3-4 90 5-1 4-3 91 6-0 5-2 92 - 6-1 93 - 7-0 

So what warrants the one game playoff in baseball? Just a tie between two teams? I know in basketball and other sports, they use tiebreakers such as head-to-head to determine playoff scenarios. In other words, if the Mets and Brewers end up with the same record at the end of the year, is there automatically a one game playoff or are there other factors involved? Excuse my ignorance, but I've never had to worry about this stuff before.

Yes there is automatically a one game playoff, no tie breakers. My understanding is that the only time MLB uses a tiebreaker is if the two teams that are tied are going to the playoffs, such as if the Mets tie the Phillies and both have better records than the Brewers. In that case the tie breakers determine who is the division winner and who is the wild card.

IIRC, tiebreakers only come into play if a division winner and a WC team come from the same division and the tiebreaker is used to determine which of the two teams is the division winner (see 2005 AL East). Otherwise, I believe a tie results in a playoff game.

If we get in, we basically need a winning record over the last 6. So technically, we might not be backing in anymore, depending on how large of a sample you want to take.

To tie:

WINS MIL NYM 86 1-5 0-7 87 2-4 1-6 88 3-3 2-5 89 4-2 3-4 90 5-1 4-3 91 6-0 5-2 92 - 6-1 93 - 7-0 

If anything up to 89 happens, then you also have to consider the Astros as contenders. Totals all include Monday make-up against Cubs.

They have 3 with a hot Reds club and 3 with the Braves.

86 4-3

87 5-2

88 6-1

89 7-0

That 9th inning was the definition of choking.

I loved that it happened but that was absolutely brutal. Leadoff triple with the heart of the order coming up and they blew it. If that happens to the Brewers in te next couple days I am sure I would break something.

This is going to be a hard loss for the Mets to come back from especially facing Harden tommorrow if they get the game in

Community Moderator

If the Mets go on to miss the playoffs, tonight's game will be remembered as one of the most horrific chokes in the final week in recent memory.

http://www.fangraphs.com/lgraphs/280924121_Cubs_Mets_119351516_lbig.png

MILWAUKEE-With both teams collapsing neck and neck, Major League Baseball announced Tuesday that the Mets and Brewers will play a one-game choke-off to determine which team will spiral into playoff elimination. "The 2008 Brewers have proven that they can choke with the best of them, but the Mets have the choking experience," Baseball Tonight analyst John Kruk said. "It really all depends on which team decides to step up and wilt under pressure. Either way, this one should be truly painful to watch." Experts are predicting that the Mets and Brewers will both somehow find a way to lose.http://www.theonion.com/content/themes/onion/assets/terminator.gif

Sometimes The Onion nails it right on the head.

Archived