Brewer Fanatic

Plasma TV help

Barbs4339
Once again I turn to Brewerfan for some repair help. I have a 32" Sony plasma TV that is about 5 years old. Recently after about 10 minutes of watching, it will start flickering and then will turn itself off and on continuously. Any idea what could possibly be causing this?

• 2 weeks later...
There is indeed a problem with the main power supply board. Since Sony has not made plasma's since this model came out in 2003, they is no part availble which is crazy. The place I took it to said that they may be able to manually fix it and that it would cost $400.00. If I agreed to it and he is unable to fix it, then there is no charge. Let me say that everything else with this TV is excellent including the picture. Now the question is wether this is worth it to me to have it fixed since it is already 5 years old. Let me also state that I won this TV from a radio contest and all it cost me was a couple hundred in taxes since this TV retailed for $4000 back then. So the question is this, should I have it fixed?

There is indeed a problem with the main power supply board. Since Sony has not made plasma's since this model came out in 2003, they is no part availble which is crazy. The place I took it to said that they may be able to manually fix it and that it would cost $400.00. If I agreed to it and he is unable to fix it, then there is no charge. Let me say that everything else with this TV is excellent including the picture. Now the question is wether this is worth it to me to have it fixed since it is already 5 years old. Let me also state that I won this TV from a radio contest and all it cost me was a couple hundred in taxes since this TV retailed for $4000 back then. So the question is this, should I have it fixed?
No way should you stick $400 into a tv that is 5 years old already. If you're going to pull out the money, get a brand new Toshiba 32" LCD (32AV500U) from Circuit City for $579 and have the peace of mind that the tv can be fixed or replaced if something goes wrong. Or you can go to the 37" for $749. Look online and buy online even if getting the tv from a big box store as you will get a better price than in-store. Do go to stores to see the tv's for yourself as it's all about preference, but I can say the Toshiba's are absolutely fantastic. Disclaimer, bought one as a gift for grandparents and set-up was a breeze. I bought a 42" Sharp Aquos at Christmas because of price and the new Toshiba's were still months away while I got the newest Aquos.

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/top/EC.TOP.37AV500U.CN.JPG

I wouldn't get it fixed for that much money when you could put a down payment on a new TV for that price. Best Buy currently has a deal on if you buy a TV that is worth $999 or more you get 3 years no interest financing. I'm not sure what your price range is at but I would use that $400 and get a new TV than paying for the old TV to be repaired.

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. It's just ridiculous that Sony has a product out that is less than 5 years old that they decided not to make parts for anymore. What a waste of a perfectly good TV. I would like to go bigger, but the room this is in is smaller and is currently shelved on a corner entertaiment center and I don't want to have to buy a new one of those as well. I will check out the Toshiba for sure.

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. It's just ridiculous that Sony has a product out that is less than 5 years old that they decided not to make parts for anymore. What a waste of a perfectly good TV. I would like to go bigger, but the room this is in is smaller and is currently shelved on a corner entertaiment center and I don't want to have to buy a new one of those as well. I will check out the Toshiba for sure.
You know you can put the flat panel TV's on the wall. I would do that but not knowing what the room construction or what the room looks like I couldn't tell you if that would be a good idea or a bad idea. In my bedroom I have my flat panel on the wall it saves space and I just have a small little cabinet for my 360.

Archived