Brewer Fanatic

9/16/08 Brewers (Sabathia) at Cubs (Dempster): 7:05 PM CDT

wibadgers23

I made a mistake in chat last night when I suggested having Shouse throw one pitch to the first hitter and then bringing in Torres. Here's what the MLB rulebook says about that:

3.05 (b) If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire-in-chief's judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher.

Also, I inadvertently used the word "Tubby" just prior to Prince's second HR last night. For purposes of further clatrification, it was intended as term of endearment (reminiscent of the character of the same name on the Little Rascals). That often does not come thru in the brevity, velocity, and sponteneity of chat. So I guess I can understand how Prince or anyone else rooting for him along with me might take offense to my typing that without this explanation at the time. I therefore hereby apologize (albeit belatedly) and pledge that I will not use the term "Tubby" nor mention Doritos in the dugout in reference to Prince Fielder anymore.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sveum is an idiot for being duped into having Shouse face Blanco (although that's not as stupid as Ned intentionally walking a lefty and having Shouse face Burrell, Victorino and Feliz) and for not pinch hitting Kendall in the 9th.

My opinion of Yost has been based on the last 3 years worth of managment so I don't think I could judge some new guy in 12 games. I don't really think Sveum will have the job next year but maybe I'm wrong.

I have no specific issues with what Sveum did last night. I think CV probably could have faced Ward but I don't absolutely hate the move either. Shouse vs Blanco results in 0 or 1 runs most likely. CV vs Ward could easily end up in 3 runs since CV gives up a lot of HRs and Ward still has good pop. I doubt either matchup is a solid win vs the other considering how much better Ward is than Blanco.

Sveum is an idiot for being duped into having Shouse face Blanco (although that's not as stupid as Ned intentionally walking a lefty and having Shouse face Burrell, Victorino and Feliz) and for not pinch hitting Kendall in the 9th.

Yes on letting Kendall hit, no on letting Shouse face Blanco. To me that's at worst a wash with Villanueva vs. Ward, and I'd probably rather have Shouse vs. Blanco. Blanco sucks.

I've never thought very highly of Dale Sveum, and I didn't care for the lineup he put together last night.

Honestly, I just didn't mention it because I didn't want to provide ammunition for someone to say, "See! You people are never satisfied, no matter who the manager is!"

Just because I don't like either of these guys doesn't mean I wouldn't like somebody else though. I refuse to believe there aren't some candidates out there who have more to offer than a couple of retread Brewers from the 80's.

It's not like anything else had been working the last couple weeks. Mix it up, see what happens.
I agree with this idea, but not the the way Sveum did it. Just moving a low-OBP, high strikeout guy to the leadoff spot, while continuing to play Counsell and Kendall doesn't do much for me. Rivera needs to get some starts. And starting Gamel a few times might be an ideal way to inject some life and energy into the stagnant offense.

I really hope Sveum isn't the manager next year. It is hard for me to believe the best manager to take the Brewers to the Promised Land has been their 3rd base coach all this time. It's like Bud Selig thinking his son in law and daughter were the most qualified people in the world to run his ball team.

Interesting hearing the rip at Counsell who obviously is a good fielder and he goes 2-4 which was better than every starter outside of Prince. Cameron and Hart who have hit horribly this September receive no mention and go 0-8.

Read the game thread. I know I ripped Hart last night and I believe Cameron got ripped on.

Another thing about Svuem that strikes me as Yostian is his insistience that he won't look at numbers to figure out the rotation from here on in. Stubbornly putting Bush against the Cubs because he's been good lately? He didn't handle the Phillies or Mets so very well in recent starts.

I feel like this team is falling apart faster than I anticpated. I think there is going to be another long rebuilding process, and with a Brewers fan's luck, it will coincide with a resurgence of another NL Central Club.

Archived