Brewer Fanatic

9/16/08 Brewers (Sabathia) at Cubs (Dempster): 7:05 PM CDT

wibadgers23
  • Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes. Bill was exactly right; no way Prince can be looking for that pitch.

First time in a while that I've been nervous for the end of a game. Maybe that's because we're out of the wild card lead for the first time since, what did they say, July 20th?

http://wapc.mlb.com/components/game/year_2008/month_09/day_16/gid_2008_09_16_milmlb_chnmlb_1/images/big_batterImg_134268_26.gif
At-bat Summary
Pitch 9: Called Strike (81mph Curveball)
Pitch 8: Ball (96mph Fastball)
Pitch 7: Foul (95mph Fastball)
Pitch 6: Ball (81mph Curveball)
Pitch 5: Foul (97mph Fastball)
Pitch 4: Foul (96mph Fastball)
Pitch 3: Swinging Strike (97mph Fastball)
Pitch 2: Ball (96mph Fastball)
Pitch 1: Foul (81mph Curveball)

Wasn't a great pitch. But it was a very good idea, and executed just well enough. Like when a TE runs to the opposite corner of the end zone across the entire flow of a play: the pass to get him the ball is never usually a great pass, but it's usually good for a TD if you've set up the play the right way.

dlk, your avatar is slightly bothering but pretty funny
I decided to spare people from getting fingerprints on their monitors after trying to squash the bug that was my old avatar. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm of the opinion that pitch was not very good at all, it just fooled Prince. It was belt high over the middle of the plate. Good pitch in the sense that it fooled him, but the location was terrible.
Good pitch selection more like it. The pitch itself was extremely hitable if the hitter has any incling that its coming. If Prince thought he was going to see anything but fastball there, that one would not have landed yet. That said, he had the guts to throw it, and Prince was frozen.

This loss is tougher to swallow than a 10-1 defeat. The fact it's close and we go down looking makes this one hurt. What do they say? A loss is a loss. I don't care how pretty or ugly it is...still counts the same in the bad column.
I actually feel better about this one than the last several. As I said a few minutes ago, at least we went down fighting. We've been rolling over recently. Sure, we only scored 4 runs, but we did get a bunch of hits and made a game of it. Maybe the players will start feeling that competitive drive again and start kicking some butt.

Archived