Brewer Fanatic

Pitching Sabathia on 3 days rest going forward should be Sveum's first managerial move.

Pudster13

If the Brewers start CC on 3 days rest the last 2 weeks, it will give him an additional start during the regular season.

Sept. 16 at Cubs
Sept. 20 at Reds
Sept. 24 vs. Pirates
Sept. 28 vs. Cubs

Come on Dale....let's ride this horse!

Playoffs or bust.

Thoughts?

Did anyone catch Counsell on Baseball Tonight earlier? It might have been a simple mistake, but when asked about the Brewers chances, I really think he said that we'd have Ben and CC pitching half of our remaining games. The only way that happens is with a 4 man rotation.
They will pitch half of our remaining games with a 5 man rotation. Both pitch in both Cubs series. CC goes in the final Reds game and Ben goes in the first Pirates game.

To put it another way, with 12 games left, we're looking at: CC, Ben, Manny, Bush, Soup, CC, Ben, Manny, Bush, Soup, CC, Ben

I think that it really depends on how the Phillies and Astros do.

If we start winning and they start losing, I would like to see Sabathia and Sheets pitched so that they start Game 1 and 2.

However... at this point I want to get as many starts as possible out of those two.

I read an article recently at baseball prospectus about pitcher abuse points where they point out that there is no difference in injury history or pitching performance between 4 and 5 man rotations IF you keep the pitch count low on the pitchers. So, you could move to a 4 man rotation if you were responsible with the pitch counts.

I read an article recently at baseball prospectus about pitcher abuse points where they point out that there is no difference in injury history or pitching performance between 4 and 5 man rotations IF you keep the pitch count low on the pitchers. So, you could move to a 4 man rotation if you were responsible with the pitch counts.
That makes sense.

The big problem I see with that, though, is it would likely mean the bullpen would be used more. And the way those guys have been pitching lately, I don't think we want that.

Personally, I don't think you gain much by trying to do that, and I think you risk him being ineffective. I would get through the next couple games and reasses after that. However, considering he only threw 60 pitches or whatever his last time out, I would bring Suppan back on 3 days on Thursday, and give Parra a couple extra days. I know Suppan hasn't been much better of late, but at this point in the year, I'd feel a bit better with him out there.

I think trying to get him that 4th start could be difficult and perhaps not worth it if it ends up hurting his or others effectiveness.

I would almost agree but you just can't do that. The only thing i want him to do with the rotation is to move the rotation up after the September 22 day off. So then the final series you have CC pitching the first game of the series and then the playoff rotation would be set also. I don't think pitching CC on 3 days rest the rest of the year would do his arm any good and when we make it to the playoffs, i don't want his arm to be completely dead. He'll get 3 more starts and i think that will be fine.

Archived