Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber

I hope its someone other than Svuem. He made 2 "fatal errors" in 16 games. One is not executing a winning game plan in playoff Game 1. I dont

care if it was Kendall or CC's idea to throw off speed pitches to Brett Myers, but someone should have put an end to it (maybe even Maddux) before that

costly walk to a pitcher that doesnt hit well. And of course starting Suppan in game 4 didnt work so well. Not to mention the poor production from his

leadoff hitter (granted no one..but Hardy.. hit well).

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any way to get Manny Acta from Washington? I think he would be my choice (this is not blue, I honestly believe he's the most progressive manager in the league).

If we can't get him, get a guy who doesn't subscribe to baseball myth and lore. I figure those guys actually come pretty cheap, so we shouldn't need to spend more than a mil a year for him.

After watching Sveum go 7-5 with only a sweep of a bad Pirate team then starting Weeks along with batting Cameron and Hall 1-2 and starting Suppan in game 4 then going to Gallardo, PLEASE DO NOT EVEN THINK OF THIS.

I am still upset with Kremblas who was successful with these players in the minors and nothing short of a good coach. He had zilch to work with in AAA this year.

After watching Sveum go 7-5 with only a sweep of a bad Pirate team then starting Weeks along with batting Cameron and Hall 1-2 and starting Suppan in game 4 then going to Gallardo, PLEASE DO NOT EVEN THINK OF THIS.

I am still upset with Kremblas who was successful with these players in the minors and nothing short of a good coach. He had zilch to work with in AAA this year.

I guess I disagree, the only bad choice in that bunch was going with Suppan. I'm not huge on Cameron leading off either but the other options all stink too so I'd have stuck with Weeks, but oh well. Hall against lefties is fine as a #2.

Added to Designated Threads List. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Also note that the How much credit does Dale Sveum deserve? thread has been designated for discussion of Dale's 2009 managerial performance.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I won't throw any fits if Sveum is retained. I do hope if he is though the contract is for no longer then 2 years. I don't think a guy who manged 12 games and 4 postseason games deserves a longer deal then that. Either way I hope they explore all options and if there is a Manager out there with a proven track record who they feel could get the most out of a young club then I hope they go with him. It will be interesting and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Earl Weaver http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Dude, if only....

Didn't we wait all of September and October for the 3-run homer?

Ah, but we have never had a manager that really embraces the team we have.

To me it's really more about getting someone who does not like giving away outs.

We can cross off Ted Simmons from the list of possible managers in 2009 for the Brewers.

From the San Diego Union-Tribune

Simmons for bench

Another vocal major-league veteran, Ted Simmons, likely will be joining manager Bud Black's staff as bench coach. Simmons, the bench coach for the Brewers last offseason, recently met with Black. He had worked as a special assistant to Towers before becoming the bench coach to his friend Ned Yost, the Brewers manager fired last month.

I think Sveum is/was terrible. He will be more infuriating than Ned.
Why do you think that? I don't know that he is the best choice to remain next year, but what did he do that was so terrible?
I don't think bunting cures the offense; finding people who get on base does. Batting Cameron first. Benching the 2nd best hitter of the month because he hit .201 in April and May tells me Dale's not very observant. He just seems to be another tired, old school manager that goes on gut instinct, statistical analysis be damned.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hopefully it's just a polite way of saying 'thanks for not sucking more than Yost'. I won't be pleased if they hire him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think Sveum is/was terrible. He will be more infuriating than Ned.
Why do you think that? I don't know that he is the best choice to remain next year, but what did he do that was so terrible?
I don't think bunting cures the offense; finding people who get on base does. Batting Cameron first. Benching the 2nd best hitter of the month because he hit .201 in April and May tells me Dale's not very observant. He just seems to be another tired, old school manager that goes on gut instinct, statistical analysis be damned.

Very few of the bunts weren't in appropriate places, in fact I find it hard to remember a single one. Hall against a righty, Hart bunting for a hit etc. Cameron is a better option at leadoff than anyone else we had playing every day except I guess Fielder. He did have a very poorly timed hit and run though. The 2nd hottest hitter on the team in Sept was Durham most likely .314/.407/.549/.956.

I could really care less about Sveum and I'd rather have someone more experienced but the reasons you listed don't really seem to be true to me.

while i agree that i'd love to get a big name that could take this team over and improve it. Bringing back Sveum is not doing that. I just don't see a huge name that could excite the fan base. If they want to bring in a rookie manager again, i'd just assume keep Dale.

Ron Roenicke of the Angels.

Lightning struck once with Joe Maddon, so why not try again with Roenicke? The Angels play a great style of baseball. The only problem the Brewers may have with him is that hiring him, and having that Angels style of play, would require certain overhauls of the organization to take place in the areas of defense, pitching and patient hitting. Might take a while.

I also would like to see Kirk Gibson, or Terry Pendleton as well.

Get Yount and Sveum out of there, as well as any other person who was associated with the team during the 1980's. The only guy worth hiring from that time would be Harry Dalton, and his unfortunately dead.

Don't know if it's been discussed yet, but SI.com had this in it's rumors section. What does everyone think of Bobby V?

Valentine has change of heart

We're hearing more and more that Bobby Valentine, 58, is sending out feelers to return to the States to manage. He earns $1.5 million per year managing the Chibe Lotte Marines but appears to be growing weary of Japan and would love to return home to manage. "I know he's sent e-mails to a few 'future' GMs," said an American League scout. Valentine reportedly was interested in returning to the Mets, but they ended up retaining Jerry Manuel. He now has his sights set on Seattle, while Milwaukee also could be a possibility.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Community Moderator

I'm fine with Dale. In theory, you'd like a big name, but there weren't any major firings this year. We missed our chance at Joe Torre last year. Cox and La Russa aren't going anywhere. I highly doubt Bobby Valentine is going to leave Japan for the Brewers job. That leaves guys like Buck Showalter and Bob Brenly. No thanks.

(Edit: maybe more relevant for other manager thread)

Hopefully it's just a polite way of saying 'thanks for not sucking more than Yost'. I won't be pleased if they hire him.
I'm not a big Yosty supporter, but do people really feel Sveum was better than Ned? How does one prove that?

Ennder, why do you feel Cameron was the best choice for leadoff? Weeks hit 263/378/451 post All Star break.

Because Durham was starting more often than Weeks so most days Weeks wasn't an option. When Weeks isn't in the lineup we don't really have a leadoff hitter so Cameron was as good a pick as anyone else. Same thing with Hall against lefties batting 2nd. With Hart stinking so badly and Hardy "protecting" Fielder there just wasn't much of an option for batting 2nd and Hall does ok vs lefties.

Elsewhere on the forum, I'd hoped out loud that Dale would be interviewed, along with others. I don't think he should be handed the job or instantly dismissed, based on his extremely short managing sample. So I'm at ease with this.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I am younger than most on this site, and have only been following baseball closely for about 3 years. So I do not remember Bobby V's managerial style. How

does he handle the staff, is he very aggresive with pitching changes, or does he let his pitchers go longer, and get out of their own jams? Did Bobby V play alot of small ball, by that I mean bunting, and

hit and run?

Archived