Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If management decides to hire someone other than Sveum, they have the advantage of being the only team to be looking for a manager right now. No other team has fired their skipper.

Not so fast. I don't think DM knows if he is even coming back. That is to say -- It's possible the Brewers may need to hire a GM first.

I'd like Brenly or Sveum.

It sounds like Decker is going to AAA to replace Kremblas. He is a good friend of Mark A's.

I'm thinking it will be Brenly with Sveum and Yount staying on. Yount is a good friend of Brenly's. I have little to base that guess on.

I did like Sveum's approach to going with a consistant lineup. I may not have agreed with the lineup, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

This team needs a leadoff hitter. Right now I'd roll my dice with Gywnn, but that knock Cameron out of the lineup and likely off the team. There are likely other options out there but this team must fill that role and add an additional high BA and OPS guy to the lineup. That can happen at CF, 2nd, or 3rd. There is plenty of power in the lineup, we need baserunners.

If we trade Prince, should we try to get Overbay back?

Not so fast. I don't think DM knows if he is even coming back. That is to say -- It's possible the Brewers may need to hire a GM first.

Unless Doug says he wants to leave there is no indication he won't be back. He has a year left on his contract and Attanasio has already indicated he wants to extend him. Even if he wanted to make a change it's not very smart to fire someone who got you to the playoffs for the first time in a quarter century. The most they would do is not extend him and let his contract expire.

This was in the JS this morning and I have seen versions if it in several articles.

The only slam-dunk should be Melvin's return. He has one more year on his contract, and the Brewers must extend him.

"We definitely want to keep Doug Melvin," Attanasio said.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Mattingly, or maybe take a chance with someone like Steve Decker.
This was talked about in an earlier thread. I like the idea of bringing in a fresh face with a winning history and not just another re-tread. Not only would it save money, I think it would be beneficial to have someone in there who could have a fresh outlook on the game and not be stuck in his way of doing things. I think most of the veteran managers mentioned so far are from the old school style of management like Yost was. That style is quickly becoming antiquated.

The D-List this morning said that there would be no decisions made for atleast a week as upper managment has been given the week off due to the long hours of the past month. Also they said that Doug Melvin would be traveling this week to Arizona for a few days to check on Arizona Fall League players.

"We definitely want to keep Doug Melvin," Attanasio said.

I don't think the suggestion is that Doug Melvin will be fired, but that Doug Melvin may walk away from the Brewers. There has been a lot of speculation that he did not want to fire Ned Yost, but was forced by Mark A. to do so. Doug Melvin may not want to take part in the hiring process for a managerial vacancy that he did not want to create.

The manager situation to me is the most interesting change the Brewers will be making this offseason. I really have no clue who any realistic candidates are -- I have my dream candidates & nightmare candidates, but it will be great to see this process unfold. I just hope the end result is an improvement, but Melvin seemed convinced that Yost was the man for the job, so I'm not sure that we should expect a whole lot of difference in the next guy Doug would hire. Now, if Melvin is canned too, things could get a bit crazy (I can't see that happening though).
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Doesn't matter who they hire. The guy will do some things well and others pretty poorly. Hire some guy of fthe street and give him a stack of spreadsheets to use in game and we would probably be better off. I am sure it will be a "baseball guy."

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Hire some guy of fthe street and give him a stack of spreadsheets to use in game and we would probably be better off. I am sure it will be a "baseball guy."
The players would laugh in the face of "some guy" and tell him to sit there and get some real experience. "Some guy" would also have a fun time trying to implement his moves when the players don't respect him. It might work in the movies but I highly doubt we'd be better with Steve from accounting managing our team in real life.

sweepscc wrote:

The players would laugh in the face of "some guy" and tell him to sit there and get some real experience. "Some guy" would also have a fun time trying to implement his moves when the players don't respect him. It might work in the movies but I highly doubt we'd be better with Steve from accounting managing our team in real life.

Of course it has to be a baseball guy or the players will not respect him. That doesn't make it right. The players also think flipping them in the order will make them better hitters.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

i have to believe our owner will have a big say in who the new boss will be in 2009

I hope this isn't the case. Obviously, Attanasio will want to have some input into who Melvin decides on, but I hope it is minimal. The reason Melvin left Texas was because him and the owner clashed heads. It depends on what you think of Melvin, but he is the guy (along with Z) that took one of the least respectable franchises in baseball to legitamately being in it every year. I don't want the same thing to happen here. It seems as if nothing good comes from an owner who is too meddlesome.

Yeah the way things went down with Yost and DM sending him an email and all his talk about feeling bad about firing him... How Yost got them this far. I wouldn't be surprised if he walks. The logical replacement for DM is Jack Z but this makes our organization all around weaker.

I have had pleanty of frustrations with Yost but is there anyone else that makes more sense for this team than him? In the end I think Sveum will be retained. I don't want them to even think about Mattingly. I've never been sold on him. I think that if they don't keep Sveum the chances of CC resigning become slim to none... which is probably what they already are but I'm just saying. Even worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if Melvin left this offseason after how the Yost firing went down.

But whatever managerial and/or front office vacancies the Brewers have, I hope they fill them with people from outside the organization for a change. Promotions are alright for a while, but it seems like every coach on the coaching staff was one brought up from the minor leagues because they coached the current core of the young players in the minors. It's not bad to have a coach the players are comfortable with, but they could stand to hear new voices sometimes, because after you beat the same drum for a period of time, it starts to fall on deaf ears.

I don't know man, the more I hear about Attanasio wanting Suppan, then possibly pressuring DM to get Gagne, then again possibly pressuring him to fire Yost.

I'm starting to get the feeling we might have a very "hands-on" owner these days. Which is not always the best thing.

'Course he was also the one to give the okay to go out and get Sabathia. He was the one to tell DM, to go out and get whatever it takes to win this year. So it hasn't been all bad.

QUESTION: Are the moderators on vacation? Why do we have two threads discussing who will be their next manager?

Archived