Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
I agree with a lot of what you posted. My biggest problem with Yost was it didn't ever seem Yost motivated and pushed this young team in the later part of the year when they needed it most, again. granted I live in St. Louis and see very few games(but thank you XM) but it just seemed like for August they were flat and uninspired which ultimately is the player's fault but lets face it the manager gets blamed for it.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
apirk wrote:it just seemed like for August they were flat and uninspired
Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but in August the Brewers went 20-7 which was one of the best months in Brewers history. I would hardly call them flat in August.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I say head coach because those ripping on posters calling a manager a head coach are way off base...it's the same thing. It's just a title change..

Yes it is, but "Manager" is the terminology that is used in MLB. Saying "head coach" makes one sound like a football fan that takes an occassional glance at baseball, imo. What would a football fan think of someone who referred to Mike McCarthy as the "manager of the Packers"?

The term "run" is also just an arbitrary term used in baseball instead of the more common "points" that many other sports use.

I don't care how good or bad Yost and Sveum are as managers just watching the post game interviews makes me prefer Sveum. Yost always made me grit my team and Sveum is so honest about everything.

Manuel is not top of my list at all but I don't want Sveum either given what I just said. We need an experienced coach who isn't growing on the job.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like Sveum expects to know his future within a week. I think the odds of him staying are less than 50%, although making the playoffs obviously bolstered his chances. I don't give the team's desire to see Sveum return as adding much because teams almost always say that.

If not Sveum, who? My top two replacement candidates would be Bobby Valentine or Davey Johnson. It would seem this is the year to look outside the franchise because I expect a lot of offseason turnover (agree with Hunt's JS article about getting rid of Fielder and Weeks).

I watched Hargrove manage my other favorite team, the Orioles, for several seasons. He's a decent likable guy who spends most of his time in the dugout picking his nose. He isn't much of a manager in my opinion. Does pretty much what you expect with the talent he's given, which I guess puts him ahead of Ned. But he loves the Veteran Gamers and is the type of guy who would play Doug Mintkeiwicz(sp?) at 1B and bench Prince.

I'd ask Ken Macha to interview.

So, what if the choice is spending $3-$4 million on a "big name" experienced manager vs paying $1 mil or less to a "rookie" manager and spending $2-$3 on bullpen help or other roster talent?

Look at the Cubs: Baker and Pinella = 9 straight losses in post season play.

Just sayin'

edit: I guess this is similar to what Thunderbat was saying. Sorry, missed his post.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It sounds like Sveum expects to know his future within a week.

Is this correct, if so it sounds like they are doing this as a two-step process. Yes/no on Sveum and if no, then and only then look at others. I think they should instead just include Sveum as one potential candidate.

I don't give the team's desire to see Sveum return as adding much because teams almost always say that.
Yeah, didn't they say the same thing about Yost? If a player does not like the manager, it would be pretty dumb to make that public.

Archived