Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber

I find the extraordinary praise of Sveum in this article by current players very interesting:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=797749

"He's one of the most intelligent baseball people I've ever been around," said veteran catcher Jason Kendall, who played with Sveum in Pittsburgh in the late '90s...We'd all love him to be our manager next year, without a doubt.

"I think everybody in this clubhouse thought he was a good choice. He's someone everybody trusts and understands...He's awesome. - J.J. Hardy"

Players don't have to say those sorts of things. They can just say something supportive to sound good in the paper, if they don't really care or mean it.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Sveum leads the team to the playoffs in 08, he certainly deserves a shot to manage the Brewers in 2009.

According to Haudricourt, Sveum has been told if we don't make the playoffs, a new manager will be hired.

Let's pretend something though. Say we get to a one game playoff with the Mets for the wild card berth. It's the 9th inning and we are up a run with two outs and the Mets have guys on 2nd/3rd and Wright is up. He gets a hit, the Mets win, Torres gets him out and the Brewers are playoff bound.

So would the Brewers really decide if Sveum should be their manager the next few years based on whether Torres gets one batter out or not? On if a grounder found a hole for a base hit or found a glove? That would be a logical and well thought out criteria on deciding whether Sveum is qualified to manage the Brewers the next few years?

IMO, unless the Brewers win the World Series under Sveum, i don't think the team should put much consideration into whether we make the playoffs or not when it comes to keeping Sveum. Doug has been around Dale for quite awhile, what he thinks of Sveum should matter far more than how the team does over 12 games.

We could end up only going 6-6 under Sveum and make the playoffs if the Mets collapse. So we'd be giving Sveum say a three year deal mainly just because the Mets fell apart? Sounds kind silly to me.

Players don't have to say those sorts of things. They can just say something supportive to sound good in the paper, if they don't really care or mean it.

Maybe, if Yost really had these guys wound up so tight, Dale letting the pressure off, feels pretty damn good to the players right now. My guess is that the players are responding more to the "clubhouse atmosphere" than Dale's"managerial approach".

According to Haudricourt, Sveum has been told if we don't make the playoffs, a new manager will be hired.

I think this is a reasonable statement. Sveum has to be a long shot to get the job in 2009. If the Brewers ran the table in 2008 to end the season, it certainly would catch some people's eye -- I don't think Dale has ever been a candidate for this or any other MLB managerial job.

Doug has been around Dale for quite awhile, what he thinks of Sveum should matter far more than how the team does over 12 games.

If Doug hires Dale, without interviewing other candidates he should be fired yesterday.

We could end up only going 6-6 under Sveum and make the playoffs if the Mets collapse. So we'd be giving Sveum say a three year deal mainly just because the Mets fell apart? Sounds kind silly to me.

It is. I am quite certain that MA is going to want to have an interview period in the off-season, after addressing the shortfalls of this year. Sveum is being a swell guy for taking over for a team in a most awkward position -- I think making the playoffs earns Dale an interview and (more) serious consideration, but in no way will these last 12 games ultimately determine whether Dale gets a 3 year deal -- it's a feather in his hat, nothing more.

Ive seen enough to Sveum to know that I dont want him back next year. Between his decisions to bat Cameron leadoff and Counsell second to his refusal to pinch hit for Kendall and Counsell in key late inning situations make me say that he is as bad if not worse than Yost. He also likes to bunt way too much so I say let him go regardless of how we finish.

This is really stupid if true. He is either the manager you want to hire, or he isn't.

I will say that tonight and the rest of this week will provide a rather interesting test of the Yost firing. The Brewers are coming of a win, had an off day and seem to have been given some new life courtesey of the Chicago Cubs. There is every reason in the world they should come out and play well. If they do, I think it will provide some validation for the Ned firing. If they continue to stink on ice, I think it will provide all the evidence necessary that the problem with this team was not with the manager, but with the players.

I think making the playoffs earns Dale an interview and (more) serious consideration, but in no way will these last 12 games ultimately determine whether Dale gets a 3 year deal -- it's a feather in his hat, nothing more.

Yes, it sounds like Sveum has been told if you do not get the team to the playoffs, you will not be the manager next year. This does not mean that he would necessarily be the manager if they do make it, just that he will have a shot at it.

Yes, it sounds like Sveum has been told if you do not get the team to the playoffs, you will not be the manager next year. This does not mean that he would necessarily be the manager if they do make it, just that he will have a shot at it.

Exactly, if something cool happens in the next 6 games, Dale gets to add something to his resume. The Brewers had limited options when they fired Yost this late in the season. I don't think Sveum was given the job for any more reason, than he already has a uniform, and security clearance to the dugout -- and Simmons probably told the Brewers to pound sand.

I think MA is pretty set on cleaning house this off-season. Sveum gets a chance to bolster his resume for his next employer -- that's about it.

That said, isn't a 1-game playoff technically the playoffs? If we make it to a 1 game playoff, does that technically end the 26 year drought?

Sveum is not the answer.

Cameron is not a leadoff hitter, and he was having the worst September of any of those guys, so let's bat him leadoff.

Weeks, I know many don't like the kid, but looks at the stats, he was the only regular who was hitting the ball this month, and he gets benched.

So Durham plays every day, and gets hurt because the guy just can't play every day anymore.

I'd like to see them go out and get someone who has absolutely no ties to any former Brewers team.

Deciding whether Sveum deserves the job based on 12 games with the team basically set is silly.

The only somewhat logical rationale is that there would be such a cloud over the club if they miss the playoffs, just having some new faces as coaches would help get over the painful memory of this season's collapse.

I have been wondering what long term impact this unorthodox decision will have in the community of "baseball men" in relation to the image of the Brewers franchise. Below are 2 quotes from the fraternity - and there's got to be some bite from every major league mananger on the topic - that, of course, have Ned's back. But I think this is going to be a negative scar for a longer time than we think. I wouldn't be surprised if Doug voluntarily stepped down either to divorce / absolve himself of the situation in good standing. At the bare minimum, for MA to hire another 'top tier' manager it's going to take an extra year or a bigger figure on the contract to assuage concerns the prospective manager might have about his job security.

Ron Gardenhire:
"Yeah well, you know, I tell you, that's nuts. That's crazy. I don't know. Here's a guy who's done a pretty good job. I don't want to go there. I hid in the bathroom. I know that."

Bobby Cox:
"I just think it's awful. I'm flabbergasted. I've never heard of anything like that. They can say what they want, but he turned that entire organization around. "He got them dressing and playing like professional athletes, with a lot of enthusiasm. They've only got to win a few more games and they're in [the postseason]... Now, it's all taken away."

If the Brewers win the World Series I would be happy to bring back Dale next year.

If we don't make the playoffs I have no problems with Melvin basically saying we are going in a new direction.

If we do make the playoffs Svuem should at least get a chance at the job.

If we win the World Series just give him a key to the city

I have been wondering what long term impact this unorthodox decision will have in the community of "baseball men" in relation to the image of the Brewers franchise. Below are 2 quotes from the fraternity - and there's got to be some bite from every major league mananger on the topic - that, of course, have Ned's back.

If we can avoid the Bobby Coxes & Ron Gardenhires of the managerial world, I'm all for it. Keep the baseball truthiness out of Milwaukee!

"Yeah well, you know, I tell you, that's nuts. That's crazy. I don't know. Here's a guy who's done a pretty good job. I don't want to go there. I hid in the bathroom. I know that."

How on earth is Ron Gardenhire aware of what kind of job Ned Yost had done? I can guarantee you he doesn't have enough free time on his hands to make a valid assessment. ... And what the heck do those last two sentences mean? Why would he say he 'hid in the bathroom'?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That said, isn't a 1-game playoff technically the playoffs? If we make it to a 1 game playoff, does that technically end the 26 year drought?

Not really. It's more of a tie breaker game...basically game #163 on the schedule. At least that's how I would see it.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Not really. It's more of a tie breaker game...basically game #163 on the schedule. At least that's how I would see it.
Since it counts in the regular season standings, I think that is the correct way to see it. Not a playoff game.

I have been wondering what long term impact this unorthodox decision will have in the community of "baseball men" in relation to the image of the Brewers franchise.

The last thing I want is another "baseball guy." I didn't want Yost fired because I feel that one "baseball guy" if pretty much the same as any other. I am sure we will get another guy to make dumb "it's in the book" decisions. What we have done as of right now is trade bad bullpen management for small ball.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Game #163 is an extension of the regular season. All stats would count as well.

Due to the fact that Donnie Baseball was my favorite player growing up I'd love to own a Mattingly Brewers jersey but that is about it. I think they are going to go with someone no one is even thinking of. my darkhorse candidate is Frank Robinson.

I hardly think Bobby Cox is an unbiased observer when it comes to Ned Yost, so it is hard for me to give much credence to his comments. As far as Gardenhire - locking himself in the bathroom? I don't even know what he was talking about.

I think across the nation Yost has a decent vibe from teams and players. The Brewers went from crap to in the playoff talk the past few years. On a national scale that's pretty big. I know Yost gets thrown under the bus everytime the team lost, but I don't think it's fair to say he's a horrible manager. I think it's more fair to say he was the guy to get the team back to .500 or so ball, but he wasn't playoff ready.

For the record, I think this 'problem' this year starts with DM. The Brewers just flat out don't have that good of team over 162 games. The offense is not set up at all in a way to get on base and that was DM's goal in the off-season. Blame Ned, blame whoever, but this isn't Yost's fault. I think of the three main sports (NFL, NBA, and MLB) a baseball manager/head coach (and I say head coach because those ripping on posters calling a manager a head coach are way off base...it's the same thing. It's just a title change, but maybe some here accept that as a promotion.) has the least amount of impact on the result. It comes to picking the right lineup and bullpen moves. Bullpen moves are difficult, but at the same time it can be a complete crap shoot. I'm not saying Yost deserved his job this year I just think some Brewers' fans have treated him like crap and that may haunt the team this off-season.

Archived