Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber

I think it was a mistake to limit the interview process to just the three guys.

But who else was available? Some people here are throwing around names assuming that just because they can think of them means that they are available and interested in managing the Brewers. The season is just over, not many good managers are going anywhere, maybe guys like Jim Leyland are still going to be employed when next season starts, and maybe guys like Bobby Valentine are happy enjoying their retirement. I don't want it to suddenly be January and still be without a manager because they're riding on the hopes of someone who never materializes, and now the pickings are slim. Maybe this is it for experienced managers. Other teams are going to start hiring, and the longer they wait the more they risk someone else hiring the best guy for the team.

Yes, all managers sound good in their opening presser, but I like these comments:

He also said, "The job of a manager is not to be a buddy of the players. You have to make tough decisions over the course of a year."

As for who plays and doesn't play, Macha said, "Some players think it's personal but it's not. The manager is responsible for wins and losses."

Rather than get opinions of the players from coaches who have been here, Macha said he wants to go down to spring training and make those judgments himself. In other words, he wants no preconceived notions of what they can do.

While I agree that a manager doesn't make a whole lot of difference in baseball, I think a good manager can get 10 extra wins and a bad manager can cause 10 extra losses. Assuming an average 81-81 season, 10 more wins gets you 91 wins and usually into the playoffs. That's a pretty big difference.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can probably eliminate Joe Maddon from any future good manager discussions.

Joe Maddon's tactical errors

Maddon's been a great leader for Tampa and he'll rightfully win the AL manager of the year award. However, his decisions in the World Series -- particularly with regard to bullpen usage -- were generally unwise. First, Maddon made the mistake of starting Rocco Baldelli against a right-handed starter in Game 2 and Gabe Gross against a lefty in Game 3 (they were a combined 0-for-5). Then he was far too reluctant to use one of his quality lefties in his bullpen. In particular, he allowed Chase Utley and Ryan Howard to bat against right-hander Matt Garza in the sixth inning of Game 3. The result? Back-to-back home runs. Where were J.P. Howell, David Price and Trever Miller? Then in the fourth inning of Game 4, Maddon let Howard bat against a visibly laboring -- and right-handed -- Andy Sonnanstine. The result? A three-run bomb that effectively ended the game and the series. (And all of this is to say nothing of his decision to let J.P. Howell hit in Game 5.)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived