Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber

I think nobody remember Macha as a player,

but he is still famous in Japan, where he ended his career as a player.

He showed great leadership and was beloved by team members and fans.

When he was a kid, Ichiro Suzuki got Macha's autograph in Nagoya Stadium.

This is link to a picture of his last-game ceremony.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp...lNormal20080917153_p.html

In Japan, it is very rare that a foreign player has an event like this.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because Macha mentioned a story with Jay Payton. Saying that Payton asked Macha why he is not playing, so Macha told him because you have a low OBP and your not producing.
Of course, this also presumes that the Brewers had any good options at the end of the year with Kapler hurt, Branyan hurt, Gross traded, Gwynn showing no signs of being a productive corner outfielder, and Brad Nelson being very unproven. It's fully possible that Corey Hart was the Brewers best option in September despite the struggles.

Robert

Is it hidden somewhere in this thread and I missed it?

There are mentions above it on a few pages above and even one poster stating their family member was on a flight to Dallas with Maddux on the same flight.

Of course, this also presumes that the Brewers had any good options at the end of the year with Kapler hurt, Branyan hurt, Gross traded, Gwynn showing no signs of being a productive corner outfielder, and Brad Nelson being very unproven. It's fully possible that Corey Hart was the Brewers best option in September despite the struggles.

This is the point I feel gets missed the most. Hart was pretty bad, but there really weren't options. I would've gone with Nelson a time or two, but given the situation I understand why he didn't play him in the outfield. It would've been nice to start Nelson a game or two there and use Hart as his backup, but again given the circumstances we really couldn't afford a bad defensive play. I think this does point to the fact that the Brewers may need to get another OF this off-season. I know this guy isn't ideal and won't happen, but it'd be interesting to get Junior in Milwaukee. He could backup the corners and be LH pinch hitter. I know he's old and it won't happen, but I had to throw it out there.

I'm speaking to you as a former Oakland A's fan who attended many games at the Coliseum from 1974-2006 including the Macha years 03-06. Reading all the previous posts presumably from Brewer fans who don't know Macha, I can lend you some perspective.

First and foremost Ken Macha is a gentlemen. If you are looking for a yeller and screamer, Ken is not your guy. In fact, the reason Beane hired him in the first place is bcause he does not think managers are very important (Money Ball). Beane wanted a yes man and he got one. To Macha's credit (and I don't know this for sure) he started butting heads with Beane over his philosophy including but not limited to no bunting and no SB's allowed.

If you are lucky, you will get the Ken Macha without the Billy Beane influence. If you are not, you will get station to station ball like the A's played. This doesn't mean I don't believe in OBP, it is in fact very important. However, under Macha and Beane the A's lost several playoff series most notably against Boston because in the 9th inning they did not know how or refused to play small ball (sacrifice bunt) to move a runner into scoring position. There are times in this game when you just can't play the "Money Ball" percentages all the time and Beane had Macha doing it. Let's hope Ken plays some hunches here and there to open the Brewer offense.

An earlier post spoke of the Jay Payton issue. Payton not playing as much as he'd like in Oakland because his OBP was low was really not Macha's doing. That was Billy Beane for sure. Payton provided a big spark to this team during his year at Oakland and I can't believe Macha was behind his reduced PT.

My point? Control your enthusiasm for Ken Macha, he may be great for the Crew, but don't expect a dynamic individual who will return the team to 1982 levels.

I saw this coming right when Doug narrowed it down to the "big 3." Doug trusts his original baseball instincts and sticks to what he knows. Macha was a no-brainer choice from the get-go and I didn't understand all the fuss about who he was going to hire. It was in the bag from the day Macha first interviewed. I'm taking a wait and see approach with this hire. I wanted to see a guy who could light the fire under the young guys but with Mike's post, I guess we're getting a mild-mannered, even-keeled Doug Melvin-type in uniform.

I wanted to see a guy who could light the fire under the young guys but with Mike's post, I guess we're getting a mild-mannered, even-keeled Doug Melvin-type in uniform.
Does this really matter? How many times does a manager really have to light the fire under the players. I'm more interested in his managing of the bullpen and other more important things than this. To me this is very low along with a manager who is good with the media. It really isn't necessary.

Is anyone else concerned with the lack of confidence a 2-year contract shows? It seems to raise a lot more question marks than today's presser answered...

I think Melvin was asked about that or referred to it as part of another question essentially he said the length is something largely irrelevant. Managers get fired at all different points in their contracts. If they do well they get extended anyway and if the don't it is relatively unimportant how much time is left on their deal. This was the same length of deal Yost originally got so this looks like it has more to do with Melvin's philosophy on managerial contracts than Macha in particular.

If he's not a believer that you have to win with small-ball, and he's not a cancer in the clubhouse, and he's not going to kill the bullpen, and he doesn't come with a big price tag, I'm good with it

He certainly isn't married to small ball which is fine by me. Melvin has made comments several times in the past that make me believe he isn't fond of that either so it makes sense he wouldn't hire a manager who lived by it. Macha did mention that you play to the type of players you have. I think he would be versatile enough to adjust to a smaller approach if that was the cards he was dealt. Which is fine by me as well. I am not a small ball guy but I want the manager to be willing to do everything at his disposal to get the most out of his players. If the Brewers have players with speed and no power I think he would be ok with playing that style even if it isn't the preferred way to play.

I liked the fact that he thought the most important part of managing came in how he prepared his player to play. It seems as though he realizes the biggest part of his job comes before the players get on the field. After that the players have to do the job. If he is ok at managing the pitcher the rest should be taken care of by proper preparation.

i also liked to here he thought production was linked to playing. This was Ned's greatest fault IMO. One I understood considering the state of the team when he got here. It's a different situation now.

I wanted to see a guy who could light the fire under the young guys

You don't have to yell if you make it clear playing time is inexorably linked to production. The desire to play should be strong enough a fire. If not then the player is the problem and needs to be replaced.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The idea that we need someone who lights a fire under guys does not make a ton of sense to me. Who are those managers right now in MLB? Obviously Pinella would be up there and Ozzie, but are the most successful managers really the screamers? i understand the logic a little more in a sport like football (even though I dont think it matters there either), but not in baseball. In baseball you need a manager who knows how to get the most out of his players, who can put out a good lineup, and can manage the pitching staff. If Macha does those things relatively well and the other coaches work with the pitchers and hitters they way they need the team will improve, but they won't improve just because a guy yells a lot.

Of the three finalists (and Sveum), I like Macha most. That said, I think it was a mistake to limit the interview process to just the three guys.

The talk in the article about getting a "new perspective" on the players by hiring a manager who didn't work in the AL is particularly revelatory; if that was really so important, why only interview one guy with that resume?

That said, his style of play should be a fit for the kind of team that DM the GM has built, although I'll be most curious to see how active the '09 Brewers will be in stealing bases.

and Brad Nelson being very unproven.

Unfortunately Corey Hart proved he could keep his OBP at & below .300 for basically the entire second half. I wish Yost/Sveum would have had the stones to make RF a strict Nelson/Hart platoon at some point -- obviously you wouldn't do that in July or maybe even August, but by September, Hart was killing us.

First and foremost Ken Macha is a gentlemen. If you are looking for a yeller and screamer, Ken is not your guy.

Thanks for the insight, Mike. Much appreciated. That's good to learn, as I tend to agree with the notion that ~ 75%+ of MLB manager aren't discernably different in terms of their impact on W-L record.

I personally thought Macha came off really well at the press conference yesterday. I found his attitude with the press to be refreshing compared to Yost.

As fans, I think we're probably really going to enjoy this aspect. Now if our manager doesn't want to reveal an injury status or something, at least he'll do it without being a huge jerk.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What I liked about Macha was that he let it be known that he would hold players responsible for being productive, but that he, himself, would be responsible for teaching or developing the skills his players needed to be responsible.

I think yelling at players probably has a different effect on each one and some are positive and some are negative. I know in the normal work force I just lose respect for a boss that feels he has to yell at the employees to get his point across. I find it shows a lack of leadership ability personally that you have to resort to the lowest common denominator by default. Now if a problem escalates to the point where nothing else is working I can understand trying that route but personally I will work harder for you if you just come and talk to me than if you yell at me.

I think Melvin just knew he wanted Macha, but didn't want to interview only Macha & Randolph (minority candidate). That's my complete guess of a hunch.

Yes i think that is right but I keep thinking Ray Rhodes. Wolf had it in his mind he wanted an established head coach and had Rhodes on mind pretty much to the exclusion of everyone else. Granted football coaches have way more to do with the team's success than baseball managers but it still isn't a good idea to limit the search IMO.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think Melvin just knew he wanted Macha, but didn't want to interview only Macha & Randolph (minority candidate). That's my complete guess of a hunch.

That's the feeling I got as well. They really didn't even interview Randolph. Having the scouting director interview is just a sham. Given Brenly's use of small ball and Melvin stating our team wasn't built for small ball, I don't think he was ever a serious candidate.

I am not disappointed that Macha was hired, just with the overall hiring process.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think even if you know exactly who you want, you interview other candidates unless you know that guy wants nothing in the world more than your coaching position. Melvin would look like an idiot if he only interviewed Macha only to find out that he really wanted another job and turned us down. If you interview several candidates and your top candidate goes elsewhere, you save face by saying Randolph was always your man.

Archived