Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
I would love to have a young guy who played big league ball fairly recently. Two smart ballplayers that are currently in broadcasting that would come to mind would be Mark Grace and John Kruk. Both would greatly loosen up the tention in the clubhouse. If I were GM I would personally hire Grace.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what I got from a friend of mine from the MLB office in Milwaukee tonight.

I think it is pretty clear from the moment that Frank Kremblas was let go from the organization that Steve Decker was going to be part of the Milwaukee Brewers organization at some capacity but with Ned Yost getting relieved of his duties it makes one think that Mark Attanasio has planned to get his buddy Steve Decker a job with his club. The move probably would have been made today if Steve Decker was available to take the job.
I don't know much about Decker, and I would be highly shocked if they would hire a single A manager to take over at the major league level. I could see it making more sense in Nashville but Milwaukee, no way. But who knows, this is the same organization that fired its manager with 12 games left to play and tied for a playoff spot. ha

Personally I am all for Mattingly or atleast somebody with no 82 Brewers ties. New blood please.

My biggest thing is that I really hope they target a more cerebral guy with an open mind -- not some former player with archaic philosophies.

Oh man, I hope this happens. Like logan mentioned, I'm skeptical that this 'can' happen, though I am convinced this would be the right type of move. As for examples... there aren't many (if any). 'Baseball Truthiness-Keepers' tend to surround themselves with like-minded dudes, because the challenging of Truthiness is not to be tolerated.

I don't know much about Decker, and I would be highly shocked if they would hire a single A manager to take over at the major league level. I could see it making more sense in Nashville but Milwaukee, no way. But who knows, this is the same organization that fired its manager with 12 games left to play and tied for a playoff spot. ha

Now see, someone like Decker would be exactly what I could get excited about... barring him being a Truthiness-Keeper. I don't think MLB-experience should carry much weight, since clearly most MLB managers are stuck in the past.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I tend to think that DM is already fired as well -- or will be soon. There are certainly more problems in our organization than Yost, I would think MA would take the time to restructure everything.

I guess I think we are getting the cart in front of the horse, if in fact we will have a new GM as well.

Brenly is the front runner. The fact Yount agreed to come in and coach is a clear indication that Brenly is in the mix. My guess is Yount is being brought in as Brenly's surrorgate and confidant to assess the roster over the final two weeks.

JB, Sveum clearly stated that he agreed to do it because they're best friends and Dale asked him to, not some secret pact to bring in Brenly.

TooLiveBrew wrote:

I don't think MLB-experience should carry much weight, since clearly most MLB managers are stuck in the past.

I don't think it should either, but I think that it would be tough to hire a guy that would be respected by the players without that person having MLB experience. That is the flaw with managers and the reason we are stuck in the past.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Mike Hargrove is the guy I've touted for awhile. A career winner who prefers the the style of baseball Melvin prefers.

As for Sveum, he was at least a successful minor league manager, unlike Yost, who was a wreck in the minors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'll be happy with someone who doesn't bring in his LOOGY to intentionally walk a guy who hits .212 off of lefties, to have him face a murderous right handed batter, and my 13 year old kid fits that bill.

In all seriousness, like others, I'd love a manager who's not afraid of a little creative thought. A guy who would use his closer in the 8th inning if the other team's 3-4-5 is coming up. Given the day and age though, I'm sure that might be a little too much to ask.

I mean, most of "The Book" is pretty easy to follow, (my feeling that most MLB managers are inflexible to the extreme regarding said Book aside) and Ned just couldn't/wouldn't do it, instead, relying on his gut and stupid made up rules that would pop into his head as he went along. (Saying it's "not fair" to bring in a reliever with men on base just killed me, honestly)

As for Sveum, he was at least a successful minor league manager, unlike Yost, who was a wreck in the minors.

Baseball America did name Sveum the top managerial prospect in AA when he was in the Pirates organization. I know that tons of other guys have probably won awards like that, but he must have been doing something right.

I would also be in the camp that would rather see someone with no real prior connections to the Brewers come in as the manager next year. The exception would be if Sveum gets the club to the post-season...then I think you're almost obligated to bring him back for at least one year to see if he can keep it going.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yeah I thought Macha turned them down.

Any thoughts on Art Howe or Willie Randolph?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Who would want it? What serious, non-desparate guy would want this job? They've got no chance next year. They got a GM with a one year contract, and they got an owner who's willing to fire a manager when his team is tied for the Wildcard. Anyone who wants this job is by definition not a very deep thinker, or he's trying to get his foot in the door and hoping for a miracle.

Steve Decker: Current Head Coach of the San Jose Giants:

Dale Sveum: Current Interim Head Coach of the Milwaukee Brewers:

Bobby Valentine: Current Head Coach of the Chiba Lotte Marines:

Please don't refer to baseball managers as "head coach" this is about as bad as calling runs "points".

Who would want it? What serious, non-desparate guy would want this job? They've got no chance next year. They got a GM with a one year contract, and they got an owner who's willing to fire a manager when his team is tied for the Wildcard. Anyone who wants this job is by definition not a very deep thinker, or he's trying to get his foot in the door and hoping for a miracle.

I can guarantee you that there are about 100 candidates having the agent send out feelers today.

DHonks wrote:
My money is on Kevin Kennedy.

THANK YOU! For some reason, nobody has talked about him in years and he's mentioned on the radio that he'd be interested in the right situation. Seems to have the right attitude about everything.

Kevin Kennedy spoke briefly about his relationship with DM yesterday on his XM radio show. He said he was fired once by DM, but it was only because Melvin had to clean house and didn't know Kennedy very well, so he sent him packing. Kennedy didn't have any hard feelings about it and understood the situation at the time. He mentioned that he has gotten to know Doug better in recent years since he has gone into broadcasting.

By the way...how do you get quotes to show with the originator of the qoute? example DHonks wrote: .........

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Mark Grace? He's more interested in partying. Don Mattingly? Did we not learn that coaching on winning teams doesn't make you a good manager? Kevin Kennedy? He hasn't managed in 12 years. That nobody has hired him speaks volumes.

Showalter makes some sense. He's had some success.

But Brenly makes the most sense. Lets examine Brenly's record in Arizona:

2001: 92-70

2002: 98-64

2003: 84-78

2004: 29-50 After he was fired, that team got considerably worse going 22-61 the rest of the way. Remember that team had lost Schilling and sent 6 players to the Brewers for Sexson who got hurt and missed most of the year

He won it all in 2001 with a really non-descript lineup: Aging Mark Grace at 1B, Jay Bell at 2B, Tony Womack at SS, Matt Williams at 3B, Luis Gonzalez in LF, Steve Finley in CF Reggie Sanders in RF, and Damian Miller at C. Yes he had Schilling and Johnson, but the rest of that rotation was really mediocre and their closer, Kim had 19 saves.

There are no guys out there other than Brenly who've won a World Championship in this decade, have a winning overall record, know the NL Central, are under 80 years old, and are available.

Archived