Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's interesting to watch the press conference, but every manager sounds like the next Manager of the Year at his first press conference. Let's see what happens once the season starts.

I passed judgement at Dean Taylor at his opening press conference with his "I'm not a talent evaluator" comment. If you can't come off well at your opening press conference, it's hard to have any faith.

Robert

Actually, Macha said that Melvin will be offering both Sabathia and Sheets a deal tomorrow.
Wow Sheets getting an offer now that is a surprise. I bet it is only a one year deal though. Mmmmm only about 3 months until pitchers and catchers report for spring training right?

Jay Payton = Corey Hart?

I might be slow, but what did this have to do with the announcing of Macha as manager?

Because Macha mentioned a story with Jay Payton. Saying that Payton asked Macha why he is not playing, so Macha told him because you have a low OBP and your not producing.

Here's a bit on Macha I found in chatting with a guy in another online community who's a photog for MLB (his blog is here):

"Just FYI - take it for what it's worth - I'm in Arizona for the Arizona Fall League and most of the baseball people here (some farm directors, scouts, etc) seem to think [Macha's] a great hire for the Brewers. General consensus is that the A's gave Macha the shaft."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Jay Payton = Corey Hart?

I might be slow, but what did this have to do with the announcing of Macha as manager?

Because Macha mentioned a story with Jay Payton. Saying that Payton asked Macha why he is not playing, so Macha told him because you have a low OBP and your not producing.

He's already the best Brewer manager of the last 20 years!

I think this is a great move. Macha's teams have won at every level he's managed. Here's hoping he takes the Brewers on a decade long run of success.

Did I hear Melvin right? There are 12 free agents on this roster, so there will be a lot of turnover?

But we have an option for Torres, Cameron and Counsell. Whats the situation on Lamb's contract? I thought I heard that since he signed long term w/ Minnesota then was released, we still own his rights, is that correct?

If he's not a believer that you have to win with small-ball, and he's not a cancer in the clubhouse, and he's not going to kill the bullpen, and he doesn't come with a big price tag, I'm good with it. For the vast majority of the time players win/lose, managers watch players win/lose. So, find someone with half a clue, and don't spend a significant chunk of the budget on him. Then let's move on.

I can think of 10 so far... at least I think these are all FA guys...

Gagne, Sabathia, Sheets, Torres, Mota, Cameron, Branyan, Counsell, Lamb, Kapler

Just looking at mlbcontracts.blogspot.com, Ray Durham and Todd Coffey are two more (although wasn't there a rumor the Brewers were giving him a nice extension?). Turnbow comes off the books, too, but I don't know if Melvin was counting him because he wasn't on the 25-man to end the year. I think Capuano's due another year of arby, but who knows if they decide to keep him around.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Just looking at mlbcontracts.blogspot.com, Ray Durham and Todd Coffey are two more (although wasn't there a rumor the Brewers were giving him a nice extension?). Turnbow comes off the books, too, but I don't know if Melvin was counting him because he wasn't on the 25-man to end the year. I think Capuano's due another year of arby, but who knows if they decide to keep him around.
I believe the Brewers and Capuano were working out a minor league deal. At least that is what Capuano was hinting towards when he was interviewed in Arizona earlier in the year.

Is it hidden somewhere in this thread and I missed it?

With Ken Macha about to be named the Brewers' manager over Bob Brenly and Willie Randolph, there are signs that Brewers pitching coach Mike Maddux is headed to the Rangers. The Rangers recently were denied permission to talk to Maddux, but his contract runs out tomorrow.

New York Post

Archived