Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how much of it is speculation by TH, it seems to be that he is going off of mostly people saying they think Macha is the choice, and that he was Melvins first choice when they hired Yost. I want Macha, but I think it would be pretty funny to see somebody else chosen.

Also, I thought it was funny that he said Mike Maddux has no ties to Milwaukee, I mean he's only been our pitching coach since the 03' season, isn't that considered a fairly strong tie?

Also, I thought it was funny that he said Mike Maddux has no ties to Milwaukee, I mean he's only been our pitching coach since the 03' season, isn't that considered a fairly strong tie?
TH didn't say that Maddux has no ties to Milwaukee. He said he has no ties to Macha.

"Maddux has no real connection to Macha, however, so it wouldn't be a big surprise if the Rangers stole him away."

Link

Follow me on Twitter

Leo Mazzone? Would it be an outside possibility for pitching coach?
Please, no. He was terrible in Baltimore.

Yeah, but to be fair Baltimore was beyond terrible. He was trying to polish turds. Doesn't ATL count for something?

Yeah, but to be fair Baltimore was beyond terrible. He was trying to polish turds. Doesn't ATL count for something?
Wouldn't most pitching coaches look good if they were working with Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine? You can't have it both ways here. You say the Orioles had no pitching staff but that he should get credit for having those three with Atlanta.

It's on MilwaukeeBrewers.com:

http://milwaukee.brewers....mp;fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

edit:

Wanted to get it up fast .. so here's the relevant part:

The Brewers decided on Macha as their choice as early as Sunday and were waiting for the World Series to end to make the formal announcement. The Phillies did the Brewers a favor by winning the championship on Wednesday night; had the Series shifted back to Tampa Bay, the Brewers were considering asking Major League Baseball to waive the moratorium on making news so they could name Macha on Thursday. Melvin leaves town for the Managers Meetings on Saturday and wanted the staff settled before then.

The Brewers also were expected to make some announcements Thursday about the coaching staff. Sveum could be back as third-base or bench coach, and Melvin also encouraged Macha to retain pitching coach Mike Maddux, bullpen coach Bill Castro and first-base coach Ed Sedar.

Wouldn't most pitching coaches look good if they were working with Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine? You can't have it both ways here. You say the Orioles had no pitching staff but that he should get credit for having those three with Atlanta.
Mazzone made lots of unprofessional comments about Baltimore pitchers in his tenure and quickly wore out his welcome. Try to find a quote where he says something positive about his pitchers in Baltimore. His first season team ERA went up almost a run compared to the year before. Both of his seasons, team ERA was over 5. In his final season, only his second, he basically said the pitchers were bums and he couldn't be blamed for the poor perfomance. It may be the Oriole staff is a bunch of turds, but Mazzone came across as a grumpy old fart during his time there. I would hate to have him coach young pitchers.

As I was trying to find information on Macha's coaching philosophies I came across some interesting audio from May 2nd 2007 when he was interviewed about the stresses/pressures of managing. Around the 3 minute mark he begins to really talk about his managing past, before that they talk about his new role as an analysis for the Red Sox. Most interesting of all, around the 8 minute mark he talks about the relationship between GM and manager (which he himself and Beane seemed to lack)....and he actually brings up Doug Melvin and Ned Yost as an example of a really good relationship. He really seems to respect the way Melvin stood by Yost.

http://audio.weei.com/m/a.../ken_macha_ex_a_s_mgr.htm

Archived