Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber

Macha may be the man for Brewers

"The World Series scuttlebutt is that Ken Macha is the favorite to land the Brewers managerial gig, followed by Willie Randolph. Everyone here at the Series seems to know that Bob Brenly had a bad interview in Milwaukee, which may knock him out of the running. If Macha is hired he may need to repair things with catcher Jason Kendall, a prominent member of the A's when Macha was fired there amidst rumors that he wasn't getting along with his boss or the players."

No big surprise that Macha is in the lead, but I was surprised to see Randolph as the second choice.

http://sportsillustrated....scoop.sabathia/index.html

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts are that Sveum is there to keep Kendall happy - or less upset.
Kendall liking or not liking someone had zero impact on Melvin getting someone.
This isn't the NBA. Kendall is a 34 year old man. If he has a "problem" with his boss, well welcome to the real world, loser. I'm sure Kendall is professional enough to do his job without causing a ruckus. I suspect most of the problems with Mach and Art Howe before him in Oakland had to do with Billy Beane in the clubhouse before, during and after every game, treating each one like it's the 7th game of the World Series.

In Melvin's review of managerial candidates, I'm sure he consulted Kendall to at least deem if the tension Macha caused with his players in Oakland would be likely to return if hired for the Milwaukee job. If it was just a matter of Macha and Beane not getting along, and thus, Macha taking frustration out on his players, I wouldn't hold it against Macha. While I don't like when former players have bad things to say about a manager, Billy Beane has made it clear his managers are figure heads and he (Beane) still has control of the dugout.

Actually it was stated that Melvin didn't even ask a question throughout the entire interview, and Jack Z conducted the interview while staring at his blackberry because it was the day before he was announced as the new GM for the Mariners. This was all noted on the JS a few days ago.

Melvin knows Randolph well enough that an interview wasn't really even needed. This was all part of the MLB process.

Ok, no biggie. I just hadn't heard about it until the Heyman article. I was a little surprised since I would think Brenly would be the "personable" type that would come across well in interviews. Then again, maybe Melvin just didn't like Brenly's ideas/philosophies.

then it was on jsonline, i know i read it somewhere on sunday evening, and i can't seem to find the link...

AJAY posted a clip earlier in the thread from the New York Post that mentions the bad interview, here is what it said about it:

The perception has been that Bob Brenly is the frontrunner to become the Brewers' manager. But a person familiar with the process said Brenly's interview did not go that well and that former A's manager Ken Macha is now considered the leading candidate.

You know, if Maddux does indeed bolt to Arlington, I for one will be OK with it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him back - but if Macha wants to bring in his own guy, he has every right to. Who's to say that Macha and Maddux would have seen eye to eye on things? This way, we avoid any potential "disturbances" during the season should the staff start to falter.

Ok, the World Series is over. GIVE US OUR ANNOUNCEMENT DOUG! Whew, I'm ready for the offseason to begin http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Ok, the World Series is over. GIVE US OUR ANNOUNCEMENT DOUG! Whew, I'm ready for the offseason to begin
I would assume that most teams would give the Phillies one day to bask in the spotlight before making any major announcements of their own. Something tomorrow or Saturday would probably be more likely.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived