Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber

And one big positive is none of them are named Ned Yost.

While literally you are correct, Randolph is essentially Ned Yost's twin in the dugout, and Brenly might actually be a tactical step down that make us yearn for the days of Ned and Dale. Macha or bust, IMO, unless Doug pulls a rabbit out of his hat at this point.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And one big positive is none of them are named Ned Yost.

While literally you are correct, Randolph is essentially Ned Yost's twin in the dugout, and Brenly might actually be a tactical step down that make us yearn for the days of Ned and Dale. Macha or bust, IMO, unless Doug pulls a rabbit out of his hat at this point.

Well said Peavey, I to am pulling for Macha.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Brenlly. I think he learned from his experience in Arizona both good and bad.

Randolph is Yost like I posted earlier. Macha could be the worst choice because I hear from a couple inside sources that he is an ass. They actually said worse things I can't type. He is a bigger prick of misery than Yost too and as "fake" as they come.

However, whoever they pick, I will give them a fair chance and then voice an opinion. I just really hope it is not Macha.

Not sure if this is a sign at all, but Willie Randolph has notified the Nationals that he's not going to be taking them up on their offer to be either a bench coach or third base coach: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3663162

The article says that Randolph pretty much told them it's "Milwaukee or nothing" as far as employment goes this season. The Mets will still owe him $2 million+ if he doesn't work anywhere this year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I don't think it means much. If I was Randolph I would only take a managers job. If I don't get a managers job then I still get paid $2 million. No reason to be a third base coach, bench coach or anything like that.

I agree with Peavey here, too.

I want Macha, and it seems that Doug has always wanted him, as well, given the tone of his rhetoric this week. DM defended Ken when asked about KM turning down the Brewers in '03, saying it wasn't an attractive job at the time, "I wouldn't have taken it, either."

But a few things seem to be also pointing toward Brenly: Yount loves him, and Kendall hated him. Now, these 2 may have smoothed things out since their days in Oakland, but JK is well-perceived around here, and I'd say Kendall has some pull. Also, since Robin remained loyal to BB, after the Cub announcer was fired by the Diamondbacks, if Mark indeed wants our franchise's signature superstar's calming, luminous presence back in the dugout in '09 (along with Sveum, probably), then that should swing it toward Bob.

On JS Online, poll, I was among the 7% who voted for Davey Johnson. He doesn't appear to be a possibility, but the question was asked, and I answered. But believe me, I'd be happy with Macha. To me, he's a gruff Davey Lopes type, except with better success and tactical skills. I'll confess I was hoping Davey would success because he was perhaps the only Brewer manager to open his yap and say how bad the stench was around here. Give me a surly Ken Macha over the Polyanna "All-Is-Well" of a Ned Yost, or the "Jim-Abbott-And-Marquis-Grissom-Are-Going-To-Lead-Us-To-The-Playoffs-in-'99!!" of an Ol' Scrap Iron, any day.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

But Russ, Ned DID have to go at that time. I would have whacked him after the end of the 2007 collapse, but Mark had to salvage a season where he overspent on CC, and had a rare window of opportunity to sneak in a playoff berth.

If Ned stayed, the miserable atmosphere in the locker room he presided over, would have remained, and the Mets would have been in the playoffs. Whether the next manager would be Dale, or Brenly or Macha, or even Robin, the overriding stench of failure had to be fumigated. At the time, it had to be anyone but Ned, and Dale was that guy.

Now, with Big Boy Time still upon us for a while, it's time to get a real manager with experience...winning experience. And a Ned manage-alike like Willie Randolph (bench coach for a big money team always in the playoffs, but chokes under the pressure when it's HIS team trying to close the deal), is not the answer, either.

I welcome wither Macha or, to a lesser extent, Brenly, over the losers we've had.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Looks like I have a very good chance of being correct when I said, "What's the rush of replacing Yost? His replacement will be just as bad."

Don't know about that. It takes a special kind of mind to have Shouse walk Howard to face Burrell with the game on the line. I really think thats was the last straw and if Mark A was in Philly that day Yost might not have made it to the second game of the double header.

From the New York Post . . .

The perception has been that Bob Brenly is the frontrunner to become the Brewers' manager. But a person familiar with the process said Brenly's interview did not go that well and that former A's manager Ken Macha is now considered the leading candidate. Willie Randolph is the third person currently being considered for the job. He is well liked by Milwaukee GM Doug Melvin and his interview apparently went well. In addition - surprisingly - he has received strong endorsements from Mets New York Mets officials. Of course, if Randolph is hired by the Brewers some of the $2.25 million the Mets still owe him for 2009 would be removed, which could be a good reason for Met officials to be so positive about Randolph.

(Excuse me while I go and vomit at the thought of Ken Macha becoming our next manager)

Brenly probably went on and on about how he could "fix" the offense. I look forward to his brilliant ideas staying in the broadcast booth next year.
Yeah, looks like Brenly will be back in the booth with Len Kasper. But if it was done to Brenly and Randolph, then I would rather have Brenly. But hopefully we won't have to worry about that and Macha will be announced right after the World Series ends.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

That is not a bad point hawing. And it seems to be working since most seem to like Macha. But if you put Macha in a list with Valentine and Johnson he would be last. Interesting stuff.

With some people at least. I'm not a huge Valentine or Johnson fan either so no big loss to me.

For all the complaints about Macha rubbing his team wrong you have Valentine who ripped his own players to Wharton students and Johnson who had personal problems with players and the owner for Baltimore.

Archived