Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber

Plus, I really dig the fact that he's been managing the US team the past several years, managing young players, journeyman and castoffs against a variety of international talent and overall style of play.

I agree. This is the thing that I really found intriguing about Johnson. One of the complaints about Johnson and Valentine, is that they haven't been in the majors in a few years, but I don't think that matters. Johnson (who would be my favorite) hasn't been that removed from the game. He's still managing young players, and with a fairly young team, I think he would mesh pretty well with the Brewers. I don't think he's as out of the loop as some people think.

Granted, it doesn't look like he's getting an interview...

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Granted, it doesn't look like [Johnson]'s getting an interview...

But do we really know this? In the past Melvin has been pretty tight-lipped about decisions related to the team. How do we know he isn't doing the same thing again? Although, in all honesty, I can't really see a reason for him to be so stealthy about this choice.

Has there been any on record accounts that Davey Johnson is or was even interested in the Job or are most here just hoping for that to be true?
TH has mentioned his name at least once in a blog as he was throwing names out there.

That group could include Bob Brenly, former manager in Arizona now a TV broadcaster for the Cubs; Willie Randolph, fired by the Mets during the 2008 season; Davey Johnson, who managed Team USA in the Olympics; and Mike Hargrove, who stepped down in Seattle last year citing "burn out."

Does anyone else think Haudricourt is making a pretty big leap when he says "Melvin will probably stop" after three interviews? The only quotes on the matter from Melvin are

"I don't know if I'm going to interview a fourth or fifth (candidate)," Melvin said. "I think they are three strong candidates."

and later

"There are other candidates, people we can look at," Melvin said. "With our resources, we can weed people out. I'm not sure we'll do a formal interview with anyone else."

"I don't know..." "I'm not sure..." are not very telling signs in my opinion. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Has there been any on record accounts that Davey Johnson is or was even interested in the Job or are most here just hoping for that to be true?

TH has mentioned his name at least once in a blog as he was throwing names out there.

That group could include Bob Brenly, former manager in Arizona now a TV broadcaster for the Cubs; Willie Randolph, fired by the Mets during the 2008 season; Davey Johnson, who managed Team USA in the Olympics; and Mike Hargrove, who stepped down in Seattle last year citing "burn out."

Thats is just TH throwing darts, what I ment has there been any official statement from Johnson that he A) wanted to get back into big league managing B) Shown any interest in the Brewers.

As for Valatine, there has to be a reason why he hasnt gotten a serious sniff of a big league job in a long time. Meaning there has to be reasons that if he was such a good manager that every team that had a job opening pretty much ignored him.

I really hope it isn't Macha. The guy just sounds horrible. He's getting trashed by his own players when they're winning 90 or so games.
I was worried about that too, but it seems like one possible explanation was that Beane was telling him to to play and who not to play, and it was therefore tough for Macha to respond to players who had questions about their playing time. For instance, Kotsay might come in and ask why he's being platooned, and Macha can't give him much of an answer b/c it wasn't his idea. Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but this blog entry has some interesting links.

http://www.rightfieldbleachers.com/?p=2805

Not saying I'm completely sold on him, just saying there may be more than one side to him being criticized by his players.

Stevo wrote:

"I don't know..." "I'm not sure..." are not very telling signs in my opinion. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I don't think it's wishful thinking at all. Now, if he would have thrown out a "I am not motivated to...", then we would know for sure.

I just can't believe Melvin is seriously looking at Randolph.It Tom is correct that Dale might come back as coach could that lead to a problem in the brewer Dugout.

Who knows if he really is looking at Randolph (as he fits the experience mold plus the "managers can be better the second-time around" quote by Melvin) or if it is just to be in compliance with the minority interview guidelines from MLB.

Dale might come back as coach could that lead to a problem in the brewer Dugout.

I don't think so. Dale seems to be a "team player" and I doubt he's going to lead some sort of mutiny against the new manager, whoever that ends up being. I would guess the players would appreciate him being back in any capacity.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm willing to give Brenly a chance. But I won't be happy about it. I think I would almost rather have Randolph. But of the three favorites Macha would be my choice. I guess I'm still praying Valentine or Johnson come out of nowhere and are announced the Manager. I won't hold my breath.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I really liked Willie Randolph the year he played for the Brewers. You could tell then that he was a consumate pro, did all the little things that won the game.

That team he managed the last 2 years choked both with Randolph at the helm and then again without him. Clearly, the players who could not play for Randolph or Manuel should shoulder the blame. I'm a big Randolph fan.

I think you're reading his post the wrong way. He's (IMO) saying that Johnson wasn't fired due to lack of success (making him a "retread" manager like the rest), but because he had issues with crazy owners. He meant it as a plus, not a negative.

Yup, you got it Peavey, thanks.

Melvin said something to the effect of "the Mets have more wins than any other team in the NL over the past 4 years, so Willie must have been doing something right". That kinda bugs me...think their eleventy-billion dollar payroll had anything to do with that? He might do better in Milwaukee where the media criticism won't be as bad, but that doesn't change the fact that he managed frighteningly like Ned Yost during his tenure with the Mets.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Why not Kapler? We've desperately clung to 1982 for an eternity, maybe we need to get a head start on trying to cling to the glory of 2008 for a generation.

I sincerely hope you are joking. What qualifies him as a strong managerial candidate? The fact he managed the Single-A Greenville Drive to a 58-81 record? He would make Dale Sveum look like Joe Torre.

If I hear "Brenley has an advantage because he announced many Brewer games the last two years" again I'm going to implode.

That is so irrelevant it's beyond comprehension. That's like saying I'm qualified to manage this team.

Ive watched so many Brewers games the last few years that I am sure I deserve the job if that is the main qualification. I am also qualified because I wont be bunting in the 5th inning or earlier of every game.

http://www.goatriders.org/bob-brenly-brewer-bround

Take it for what it's worth, but I found this over at BCB. Hopefully this is not true for all the reason stated in this thread. I will lose a ton of confidence in Melvin if he goes this route.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

MillerParkSouth wrote:
http://www.goatriders.org/bob-brenly-brewer-bround

Take it for what it's worth, but I found this over at BCB. Hopefully this is not true for all the reason stated in this thread. I will lose a ton of confidence in Melvin if he goes this route.

He spelled "street" wrong in his first sentence.....so I'm hoping that says all that needs to be said about his credibility.

I predict Brenly will be gone in 2 years if he's hired.

Archived