Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Showalter would be a disaster. It'd be nice to have someone a little more involved as the manager, but Showalter takes that to the extreme. He's a dictator, and he's never lasted very long anywhere because he's the type that players tune out after a couple seasons. I know a lot of people would love the no-nonsense approach, but I'd be terrified of the team tuning him out quickly and things going down in flames quickly. Ideally, I'd want someone with a personality somewhere in between.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If you are goin gto make a change, then make a change and don't hire another MLB manager. They are all bad. I would rather hire somebody who is younger and will not do things "by the book." If they make a change I hope they will look into somebody with some grasp of sabermetrics, for lack of a better word. Bullpen by commitee, relife ace instead of a closer, not worry about strikeouts(Yost obviously did since Branyan didn't play much), etc.
I hope that's the way they do it logan, but I just won't get myself too excited.

My speculation but figure it out yourself. Brenly is eminently qualified having won a title in a smaller market.

No thanks. Brenly is as 'baseball truthiness' as it gets. Avoid at all costs.

Finally, what would cause Yount to come in for two weeks? Perhaps loyalty to Sveum but more likely that he's been told Brenly will be the guy.

So, just speculation on your part then. You're telling me that Melvin & Attanasio have already made a hire or decision? Come on. Just as plausible (if not moreso) is that Yount wanted to coach in Milwaukee but couldn't stand/agree/get along with Yost... and gets along with Dale.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Player-coach anyone? No, I'm not kidding.
Lou Boudreau player-managed for Bill Veeck at age 24 and won a WS at age 30, but he was an infielder (boudrlo). Player-managers were once common and saved owners a salary. I'd rather have someone with a good track record at this point.

I said it at mid-season, I'll say it again. My pick would be Buck Showalter -- give me a no-nonsense, no excuses guy to whip this team into shape.

He gets special consideration since he's a former Yankee manager (Mark A's old favorite team).

You usually never hear this said, but I really hope they don't try to force-feed us someone with organizational ties.

I like Showalter. He's not only experienced, when i've watched him on TV, he comes off as very intelligent.

Another guy who impressed me with his baseball mind at least is Orel Hershiser. With that said, i have no idea if he's interested in being a manager.

Davey Johnson and Bobby Valentine are far and away the best possible choices. Johnson is a brilliant handler of young pitchers and players love playing for him while Valentine is also a great in game manager.

Showalter does not like or get along with young players which would make him an awful choice. He is also too much of a drill sergeant type and players have tuned him out everywhere he has gone. If he is hired there would be a revolt within two months. Mattingly has no personality whatsoever and contrary to popular belief has never won anything. I would never take a chance with him.

Brenly is another bad in game manager who only won because he had Scilling and Johnson dominating. He is also another guy with no personality who should stay being a boring announcer for the scrubs. Davey Johnson and Bobby V are both dynamic leaders with great personalities and both of these guys are terrific tacticians. I would be very disappointed if we didnt go in one of these two directions.

First of all, Valentines not coming back to the states he loves baseball over there. Second of all, Listach is actually and up and coming coach who could be perfect in Milwaukee many would compare him to Jason Garrett (Cowboys OC) where its not if he gets a job, its what job he wants. Moreover, BA named Pat AAA manager of the year, and it kind of perplexes me that some people say we shouldnt hire people because they are former brewers, so then why should we automatically dismiss them for being former Brewers. If Melvins still the GM which is likely dont be surprised if he gives Ken Macha a call to see if he still wants to coach since this was his job to have before Yosts. I really hope they give Pete Mackanin a look, he was impressive in his 1/2 yr in Cinci.

Finally, what would cause Yount to come in for two weeks? Perhaps loyalty to Sveum but more likely that he's been told Brenly will be the guy.

So, just speculation on your part then. You're telling me that Melvin & Attanasio have already made a hire or decision? Come on. Just as plausible (if not moreso) is that Yount wanted to coach in Milwaukee but couldn't stand/agree/get along with Yost... and gets along with Dale.

The key word here is 'perhaps'. Your suggestion that he didn't want to coach with Yost could be right too. I don't think the topic of why is Yount in Milwaukee has any sure answer. I think the most sure thing is that it's somewhat of an unknown.

I think Yount is back for several reasons one of which is that Ned is gone but the most important being that he and Dale Sveum are the best of friends. I do not think that he is here to scout for Brenly. I feel that the only way Yount is here permanently is if Sveum gets the job full time. Personally Ive had enough ex Brewers managing the team and want a proven commodity like Davey or Bobby V. As much as Bobby supposedly loves Japan there were rumors of friction between he and the ownership of his team. Milwaukee would be the type of opportunity that he would crawl back for with our young talent. He would be a great choice if Davey Johnson turns us down.

I think Willie Randolph would be a great choice, former 2B and Brewer, who I think could be able to turn around Week's career and help right the ship from the top of the lineup. Just makes me giddy thinking about turning Rickie into another Jose Reyes on the basepaths.

If Sveum gets them to the playoffs, I think the job is his. Kind of like 86, when Trebelhorn stepped in, the team went on a run for the last two weeks and he got the job. If not.... I would have been interested in Davey Johnson a 5 years or so ago, but in my opinion he's been out of the loop too long. Valentine would be OK, but I don't see him leaving Japan to come here. He's kind of Billy Martin clone, e.g. could get a lot of success for the first year or so, and then flame out quickly. I don't see what Mattingly brings that Yount wouldn't.... I think the team as it's constructed right now needs a manager with MLB experience. Brenly would be interesting, but how much of that championship that he won was a result of Arizona dropping a gazillion on payroll? I'm not interested in Hargrove... ask a fan of the teams that he's managed how they feel about him- he gets more vitriol from the fanbase than Yost. Willie Randolph was the runner up last time, but I don't see a fit there....

My number one choice would be very unlikely to happen, but I think that Mark should dig deep in his wallet and get on the horn with Tom Kelly. Maybe he could be lured back with an insane amount of cash.

Could give Art Howe a call. Decent record with the A's earlier this decade (during the Moneyball Years when the team's in-house young talent was developed). Has been in the game, being a bench coach for the Rangers the past two seasons. Wasn't good with the Mets a couple of years ago, but that could be attributed to the GM and player roster.

I think 3 names come to mind

Chip Hale has Ned's intensity and passion for the game. He won at every stop in the Dbacks chain, and is a work-a-holic like Ned.

Buck Showalter could come in for two years and crack the whip at our youngsters, but he's only a 1-2 year guy before he wears out his welcome

My money is on Kevin Kennedy.

I would love to have a young guy who played big league ball fairly recently. Two smart ballplayers that are currently in broadcasting that would come to mind would be Mark Grace and John Kruk. Both would greatly loosen up the tention in the clubhouse. If I were GM I would personally hire Grace.

Archived