Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Melvin has stated a few times (or just once, and repeated elsewhere) that he's looking at "maybe five" candidates for the manager's role. If he is indeed holding five or four interviews, there is still a name or two that we haven't heard yet. If it really is just Brenly, Randolph of Macha, I'd take Macha, but I have a feeling that it won't turn out to be any of those guys. Melvin is pretty good at doling out misinformation and keeping a lid on his real plans.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yikes. The more I read about Brenly, the more willing I am to take chances with Macha's dirt sandwich personality.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really can't believe he's going to stop with those 3 candidates. If that's the case, I really hope we hire Macha.
Well, it's likely he had one manager in mind this entire time, dating to before he even interviewed Sveum, so it's not too surprising to see such a short shortlist. It will probably Macha, considering Melvin's past interest in him.

So if the choice comes down to Macha/Randolph/Brenly, isn't that a bit like playing russian roulette with a 3-chambered gun? And instead of putting in just one bullet, you put in two?

I have never before hoped so strongly that Ken Macha is our new manager. *gulp*

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So if the choice comes down to Macha/Randolph/Brenly, isn't that a bit like playing russian roulette with a 3-chambered gun? And instead of putting in just one bullet, you put in two?

I have never before hoped so strongly that Ken Macha is our new manager. *gulp*

Brenly or Randolph : Brewers Manager : : Bullet : Kneecap

Macha : Brewers Manager : : Bullet : Pinky Toe

I am a bit amazed by all the love for Johnson and Valentine. I think it started with a few of our respected posters and now EVERY SINGLE POSTER it seems wants one or the other and despises all of Macha, Showalter, Brenley and Randolph. While I guess I can respect the fact that there are personality differences and tactical differences that are maybe different between the six mentioned, their successes is somewhat similar (albeit in different circumstances, at different times, etc.) All have failed and all have succeeded. I am not saying Davey or Bobby would not be the best hires, but the blind support for one of the two is remarkable to me. And the fact almost nobody endorses any of the "other four" is also startling, as the difference is not that staggering.

People-let's give the new manager a chance and then let's form opinions. There are negatives about everybody out there.

Who really wanted Mike McCarthy over a list of other bigger names? Who wanted Holmgren over Bill Parcells? Who wanted Mike Sherm-ok, bad example.

Let's just agree that every candidate is probably a better option than Yost (except maybe Randolph who likes to rest his entire starting lineup at times) and just let the chips fall as they may.

People-let's give the new manager a chance and then let's form opinions. There are negatives about everybody out there.

Who really wanted Mike McCarthy over a list of other bigger names? Who wanted Holmgren over Bill Parcells? Who wanted Mike Sherm-ok, bad example.

Let's just agree that every candidate is probably a better option than Yost (except maybe Randolph who likes to rest his entire starting lineup at times) and just let the chips fall as they may.

The difference is your examples were unknowns. We've got some proven faulty-brained candidates poised to land this job. Randolph and Brenley are lateral from Yost at best. At least Macha should be lateral at worst. Probably better overall.

the blind support for one of the two is remarkable to me.

The posts I can recall in support of both Valentine & Johnson haven't been 'blind support'

And the fact almost nobody endorses any of the "other four" is also startling, as the difference is not that staggering.

There have been people to speak up in favor of Randolph, Macha, and even Brenly. And people have provided evidence as to why they wouldn't support each of these candidates.

Brenly or Randolph : Brewers Manager : : Bullet : Kneecap

Macha : Brewers Manager : : Bullet : Pinky Toe

Very well-done. Much better than my russian roulette 'analogy'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree that there is no harm in giving Bobby Valentine an interview. He is only the greatest in-game strategy genius of all-time. I think that's exactly what this team needs.

Why wouldn't you interview him?

If Melvin won't at least interview Valentine, that's dumb. However, I think the process is going to take longer than some think. I mean, the World Series hasn't started yet, at they definitely won't be naming a new manager until after that. Still plenty of time for interviews.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Is it possible that Macha, Randolph, Brenley (heck even Yost) would do things different and better in their SECOND managerial situation? Can anyone recall how astute Johnson and Valentine were in their first gig (I have no idea).

Again, not saying those two wouldn't do the best job. I just think 1) they've been out of MLB longer than the others and thus its easier to find dirt on the others and 2) they were given more jobs as manager and thus have had more chances (to fail) and succeed.

For the many here that love numbers, it does not seem to add up to Johnson and Valentine being in another world as better managers than the aforementioned three.

I think Melvin had his mind pretty much made up who he wanted, which leads me to believe it's probably Macha since he's the only manager he interviewed before. Then again, when he first talked about who he was looking for, it sounded like Brenly with all the stuff about someone knowing the team and the division. Macha really worries me due to all the bad things said about his communication skills. Here ere are some quotes from a couple articles at the time he was fired.

"Not to fault either side, but I felt a disconnect on a lot of levels," general manager Billy Beane said. "Once again, it's not to point the finger at Ken or anything like that. But that disconnect was there and it was something we needed to address as soon as possible."

"The San Francisco Chronicle, citing team sources, reported earlier Monday that Macha's job was in jeopardy due to his trouble communicating with his players and his "callous attitude" toward injured players."

"Macha's relationships with a number of players have been the source of Bay Area stories for several seasons. Macha almost didn't return to the A's after last season, but was later rehired."

"For the last two years, our relationship has deteriorated to nothing," back-up catcher Adam Melhuse said, according to the Chronicle. "He didn't even speak to me for well over the last month. For me, as a backup, all I want is communication. Every other coach, I get along with great, but with Macha, it is not an exaggeration to say he doesn't speak to me -- not 'Hi,' not anything. "It's tough to go to work every day knowing you're working for someone who doesn't think much of you as a player and on top of that, doesn't even acknowledge you." Earlier this season, Macha refered to disabled players Joe Kennedy and Rich Harden as "non-entities."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2628358

From another article,

...Mark Kotsay said. "There's no question there were things throughout the year, but the fact of the matter is that that by the end of the year, the players didn't have the same feeling about the manager as they did at the start of the year -- and that was at a point you'd think everybody would be happy, with a six-game lead. ... I believe there was friction.''

"The whole thing was a weird situation for me because ever since he came here, we had a pretty good relationship, but over the last couple years, I could see things unfold, and I kept hearing things,'' Chavez said. "He's always been very open and communicative with me, and with some other players, that wasn't true. I heard some things that were kind of disturbing. I think there are going to be a lot of guys who are happy about this.''

... This negative cloud was just eating at everybody.''

"The fact is, when you have someone leading people, you want them to be a visionary, to forge ahead and be on the front lines,'' Zito said. "We felt like we were on the front lines, and he might have been with us, but he didn't have the same conviction or faith. I think it was a fear of failure. He was a little more focused on the pessimistic stuff than on success.''

"Zito was among those who felt as if Macha had not done enough to back him sometimes, especially in his final start against Anaheim in 2004, when he left after seven innings and 115 pitches. The A's lost the lead after Zito departed, and Macha told reporters afterward that Zito had taken himself out of the game."

Macha's seeming impatience with injuries also upset players. Kotsay, whose availability was uncertain at times because of a bad back, was furious when Macha said it was "puzzling'' that Kotsay couldn't play in a road game against Tampa Bay when the team had been off the day before. Two days earlier, Kotsay had described himself as having to use duct-tape simply to drag himself onto the field.

"When I got injured, I felt disrespected,'' Kotsay said. "The 'puzzling' comment really threw me. My manager didn't have my back, and every manager's first business is to protect his players. That totally lost my trust in that relationship, between us as player and manager.''

...Kotsay said. "Well, we didn't play for him.

"Everyone thought it was weird Kotsay didn't hit against left-handers the last two months of the season, he's so great defensively,'' starter Dan Haren said. "And it was unfair to sit him two months against lefties and then all of a sudden throw him in there in the playoffs against tough lefties like (Johan) Santana and Kenny Rogers. I don't think Macha handled that correctly.

"Then there were issues with the bullpen, guys being possibly overused, a lot of different issues.''

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi...006/10/17/SPG4ULQPA71.DTL

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've been hearing that Beane pretty much threw Macha under the bus with the players. Beane was calling a lot of the shots from the GM position and if things went wrong he blamed Macha.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived