Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
Is anyone worried that Davey Johnson would cause problems with management?

It's wikipedia so FWIW:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davey_Johnson

Why has he been out of pro baseball so long? He seems to have upset people in New York, Cincinnati, and Baltimore. Is this why he isn't in the bigs the past few years? I don't know if I'm for or against him, but I would wonder how long he would actually last given his history -- again, if wiki is true.

From the Wikipedia page you linked:

"However, Johnson rankled Mets management with his easygoing style. When the Mets struggled early in the 1990 season, he was fired."

-- Easygoing style not appreciated at that time in NY, but is purportedly just what the doctor ordered for this current mix of Brewers

"However, he was controversially fired at the end of the season. Johnson had never gotten along with Reds owner Marge Schott, who had reportedly decided to fire Johnson at the end of the 1995 season even before it started. By most accounts, the final straw came because Schott didn't approve of Johnson living with his then-fiancée, Susan, before they were married"

-- Wacko nut-job boss, 100%

"Almost immediately, Johnson returned to Baltimore as the Orioles' manager. Again, he breathed new life into a struggling franchise as the Orioles earned a wild-card playoff berth in 1996 and the American League East title in 1997.

However, Johnson and Orioles owner Peter Angelos never got along; the two men almost never spoke to each other. The final straw reportedly came when Johnson fined Roberto Alomar for skipping a team banquet in April 1997 and an exhibition game against the Rochester Red Wings (the Orioles' top farm team at the time) during the 1997 All-Star Break. Johnson ordered Alomar to pay the fine by making out a check for a fine to a charity run by Johnson's wife, Susan. However, Alomar donated the money to another charity after players' union lawyers advised him of the possible conflict of interest. In negotiations after the season, Johnson was prepared to admit he'd made an error in judgement regarding the fine, but Angelos demanded that Johnson admit that he'd acted recklessly in not leaving the decision to him. Johnson refused to do so, and offered his resignation--which was accepted by Angelos on the same day that Johnson was named American League Manager of the Year"

-- Wacko, nut-job boss 100%

I don't have any better 'evidence' than what is presented on his Wikipedia page, but it seems that Johnson hasn't been the problem in (at worst) two of the three examples.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was a quote on BPro today about Brenly. I don't know much about him but I don't like the sound of it one bit

Chad M (Madison, WI): Bob Brenly has been named as a possible manager for the Brewers. What do you think of Brenly as a manager?

Steven Goldman: I thought he was very, very lucky to have won a WS. One of the worst jobs of tactical managing I've ever seen

That is funny. And probably true, he did have Curt and Randy, big reason he was able to win that ring.

I guess I would be okay with Macha.

http://www.baseballprospe.../chat/chat.php?chatId=539

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Keith Law of Scouts Inc and ESPN chimed in on a bbtf thread and said this in response to someone saying that Brenly is a terrible tactical manager:

"Go with your instincts.

Repeatedly bunting in front of the guy who hit 57 homers that season was just the most egregious of his many boneheaded moves in that World Series."

The announcement will probably come after the World Series and it's probably down to Brenly and Macha. Showalter and Valentine don't seem to be the Brewers "style." He hasn't heard of much from guys out of the majors for a long time (specifically mentions Davey Johnson.)

Link

-- Wacko nut-job boss, 100%
That made my day, the best line in the entire thread.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Heh, well what I didn't realize at the time was that MNBrew beat me to the punch... and much more succinctly, to boot http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
More succinct only because you pasted longer quotes. Short posts aren't usually my strength.

You hit the nail on the head, TLB: When you've been successful and are then fired by a "wacko nut-job boss, 100%," it almost makes your success look even better AND still casts 99% of the suspicion deservingly on said wacko nut-job boss, 100%.

You know, Melvin's recent comment on how sometimes a manager is better the 2nd time around because of lessons learned from the first time? Doesn't that seem all the more like he's laying the groundwork PR for Macha's hiring?

Why is it Bob Brenly's got so much discussion-al carrying power for the Brewers job when it hasn't seemed like he's been a candidate for much of anything since the D-Backs fired him? Does that strike anyone else as odd?

i agree, my stance was always that if we can get someone better than sveum then fine let him go. I don't see these 5 as better only more expensive. Of course we have no idea who melvin is truely interested in as everything as come from sources by TH. Its completely different then in 02, when we knew everyone that was being interviewed and actually had a press conference after their interview.

MNBrew and TooLiveBrew:

Your thoughts are kind of what I was thinking, but to me it just seems odd he hasn't been offered another manager job. I guess maybe he has, but it just seems odd he hasn't managed again with the records he's had.

At this point Im just hoping that its not Brenly. I really cant say I like Macha due to his personality but he seems better than Brenly. Why cant Melvin be smart for once and look at Davey Johnson or Bobby Valentine.
This post is nearly identical to your previous five posts in this thread. Six posts back, you didn't include any managerial preferences, you just took a shot at Melvin. We get your drift. If you don't have any new information to add, please do not consider it your mission objective to rehash the same point over and over and over again. It got old quite sometime ago.

Why cant Melvin be smart for once and look at Davey Johnson or Bobby Valentine.
How do you know that Melvin isn't looking at Johnson or Valentine? The only thing that we know for sure is that he has interviewed Ken Macha, and he is interested in at least 5 candidates that have managerial experience and have been successful at the major league level. The rest is just Tom Hardricout's opinion. And I would argue that Melvin is a very smart GM, and has been one of the biggest keys in turning around the Brewers franchise.

Why would TH think that Willie Randolph is not a serious candidate? I think its a little premature, and a whole lot of speculation to say that he is only being interviewed because he is a minority. Didn't we almost hire him in 03'? Also, Melvin saying that usually the managers are better the second time around works for him also.

We just fired a manager because he oversaw a choke job lets not hire another. Why is Melvin so adamant about the manager having experience anyway. He should find a guy with a good personality that doesnt believe in small ball. None of the candidates rumored seem to fit that bill at all.

"Willie Randolph is expected to be among the leading candidates for the Brewers' managerial vacancy."

The article basically states he's a candidate but does not go into depth, etc.

Per MLB rules, aren't the Brewers required to interview a candidate for the job that is a member of a minority group?

Not saying that it's the only reason he's being brought up, just mentioning the possibility.

So, ugh, who should I be rooting for between Macha and Brenly?

No whammy!

Your thoughts are kind of what I was thinking, but to me it just seems odd [Johnson] hasn't been offered another manager job. I guess maybe he has, but it just seems odd he hasn't managed again with the records he's had.

I'm sure there's a 'two-way street' factor in play with Johnson to some extent. However, it may be as simple as the fact that he manages differently from the Ol' Boys Club Managerial Code & doesn't play nice when people start telling him what to do/to do something else. Well, that, or he's just been hired & fired like many MLB coaches... the lightning-rod treatment.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Melvin's recent comment on how sometimes a manager is better the 2nd time around because of lessons learned from the first time

Of course a manager is better the second time around. It is hard to get a managing job unless you have experience. You have to take any garbage job that you can get. Like managing the Brewers in 2003. Once you have experience you can pick and choose where you manage a bit and can put yourself in a position where you are managing a good team. Then you manage a good team and look smart because you are a "winner." Look at the hiring process so far. We are looking for an experienced guy who has had success at the MLB level. We should be interviewing guys and looking for a certain philosophy instead of hiring a guy just because he managed a good team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived