Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My vote would be for Davey Johnson. If Showalter gets hired for some reason that scares me. Just something about players opinions when it comes to him that makes em shudder when I think of seeing him in a Brewers uni. And to touch on an earlier post. I am from Marshfield and although it would be a MAJOR long shot for Gary Varsho to be hired as a manager, I have it from a good source that he was seriously considering looking into an open position as bench coach in Milwaukee. He has the experience (Philly and Pittsburgh) and from what I've been told would like to be closer to home.

So I take that to mean that the money is on Bowa right now? I guess I don't understand how he could already be looking into an open coaching position if there still isn't a manager...

Posting with tongue firmly in cheek, it'd be nice if Doug took bf.net merchandising issues under consideration when making a choice.

Brenly-d (or Brenlied?)

Macha-ed

Showaltered (or Bucked?)

Randolphed

Tracy-d (or Tracied?)

Valentined

Narroned

To me, none of these rolls off the tongue quite like Yosted did, or even Sveumed.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I just don't seem to understand how being a good participant with the media will win ballgames.

"Well, _____ can't get his team to win 50 games, but he sure is good with the media. What a great manager." I guess I fail to understand the importance of a good media relationship.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Valentine has intrigued me over the past few years as I read some articles about him (usually when openings became available). I don't remember watching him manage much - didn't watch as many live games as I do now. But from readying, I really got the sense the guy was innovative, superior in-game manager - but also came across as a kind of cocky and self promoting (and thus annoying to some people). I found one article - favorable to valentine - at SI - http://sportsillustrated....yman.valentine/index.html - nothing big, but interesting. Took the mets to the WS in 2000. Won in both Texas and NY, although never 'great'. It seemed he usually managed to do more with less - but maybe that's just me looking back with limited recall. Don't know if he'd be too 'east coast' for Milwaukee. Wouldn't mind if anyone posted any other articles/thoughts about him.

Posting with tongue firmly in cheek, it'd be nice if Doug took bf.net merchandising issues under consideration when making a choice.

Brenly-d (or Brenlied?)

Macha-ed

Showaltered (or Bucked?)

Randolphed

Tracy-d (or Tracied?)

Valentined

Narroned

To me, none of these rolls off the tongue quite like Yosted did, or even Sveumed.

We just got "Bucked" again seems natural to me.

I think the smart money has to be on Brenly. The stache gives him the edge over Macha and his sun-drenched upper lip.

http://www.spock.com/i/Dw1Hjo8J3/Bob-Brenly.jpg http://souari.forest.net/~ldfr/ltl/images/greaterthan1.jpg http://www.spock.com/i/H21HBpC/Ken-Macha.jpg

When Melvin closes his eyes and pictures the man he wants to work side by side with going forward, does Macha stand a chance with Brenly in the equation? Only if Brenly comes to the interview clean shaven.

I am not at all impressed with the list compiled by TH. Two of the five are guys I would absolutely hate to have (Showalter and Brenly) and one of them scares me almost as much (Macha). Randolph is just another Yost as far as I am concerned.

I don't know much about Jim Tracy. He had no talent when he was in Pittsburgh, but it seemed like he was always successful when he was in Los Angeles, and when he left they seemed to hit the tank (up until they got Torre, at least). Does anybody here know about his in-game decisions when he managed.

It seems fitting that TH likes Brenly to be the pick because of his "saviness" with the media. I always got the feeling that Haudricourt wasn't a big fan of Ned.

Please interview Davey Johnson and Bobby Valentine and pick one of them, preferably Johnson. All of the other guys listed are terrible choices. Macha and Showalter are both hated by ex players as was Tracy in Pittsburgh. Randolph is as strategically inept as Yost and Brenly is well Brenly. Please Doug be smart about this and take a shot with Davey or Bobby V.

On an earlier post in this thread I mentioned my prediction of Macha getting the job. I said Melvin seemed like the type that stuck with his baseball convictions and those he likes (ie. Kapler & in this case Macha). Hearing he was interviewed already does not surprise me in the least. The job is his to lose, IMO.

One thing about Macha is if Kendall was a very open critic of his in Oakland, how would he react to playing under him again? I agree with everyone saying Valentine or Johnson. None of the other candidates seem like they'd be that much of a departure from Yost, which is what this team sorely needs.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Macha would be my last choice, so he'll probably get the job. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif He had a good record with Oakland, but I don't know if I have ever heard players openly say how much they hated a manager, like the players in Oakland did about Macha. Well, I probably have, but it sounded like the players really hated him and I would hate to lose the chemistry the Brewers team seems to have. Plus, Macha seems to be a pretty bad communicator, once again, something I think would be bad for this Brewers team. And I'm sure Kendall would let the other players know what a terrible manager/person, etc... Macha was/is. Just seems like a bad fit, but Melvin did interview him and wanted to hire him last time, so...

I guess like most here, I would like Davey Johnson, but it doesn't sound like he's in the running at the moment. Not thrilled with Brenly, though probably not as opposed to him as most here. I guess I would have to do some research to see why he was fired and some of the things that have been said about him. Brenly seems to fit best what Melvin said he was looking for. Experience, knows the Brewers and the division, has had success, might have learned from his mistakes and be a better manage given a second chance, etc...

Tracy, Showalter, Randolph, Narron, I would probably rather have just stuck with Sveum. Showalter seems like he would be a good manager if it wasn't for his personality, which of course is important.

I wouldn't mind Valentine, but it doesn't appear as though Melvin and Valentine have even been in touch with one another. I think we are going to end up being disappointed with the choice, unless there is a surprise name that no one has really talked about yet. But, Macha is the choice that really worries me, even though he did have success with Oakland.

I agree that hopefully Melvin will look to other beside the list of Macha and Brenly and Randolph.

Randolph is just horrible so they better just pass.

But Just to inquire is there any confirmation that melvin has heard from either Valentine or Johnson

brewcrewkid14 wrote:

I don't know much about Jim Tracy. He had no talent when he was in Pittsburgh, but it seemed like he was always successful when he was in Los Angeles, and when he left they seemed to hit the tank (up until they got Torre, at least). Does anybody here know about his in-game decisions when he managed.

I would say no, no, a thousand times no to Jim Tracy. First thing he did in Pittsburg was look at Zake Duke who was coming off like a 10-1 rookie campaign and decide along with his pitching coach, hey, Zackr mechanics aren't any good let's change them. Since then Duke has absolutely sucked. Now maybe that 10-1 rookie season was a fluke but I want no part of him around Yo or Manny.

Strategically, I think I like Macha, who I understand doesn't sac bunt or play other small ball but the player issues worry me. From what I understand he's very blunt/truthful in the media and that might cause the players to revolt especially coming from circle the wagons ned.

What about Harold Reynolds? I know he is not going to get the job and his name has not been mentioned anywhere, but why? I used to love listening to him on ESPN and still enjoy his commentary on TBS. He is almost always spot on with his observations and his baseball knowledge is impeccable. I know he's had a questionable past with the whole sexual harassment deal, but I find it amazing that his name does not pop up during managerial searches. Melvin has already handcuffed his search by stating he wants someone with prior experience and success. Too bad, as I think a fresh face like Reynolds could be the type of manager that this team needs.

I am beginning to think, that Melvin has no clue whatsoever. He's part of the good ole boy network. He only makes trades with about three teams in the league. And the fact that Attanasio extended him for 3 more years is making me start to wonder about him now too.

The laundry list of potential new managers are all washed up has beens or never was'es. This belief that since they are experienced and have been in post season play is nice, but there is a reason that every single one of them is out of the game. They couldnt execute the game plan effectively.

Melvin is gun shy about hiring a guy who has never managed before because of what happened with Ned Yost. Yost did an excellent job with this team and was disgracefully showed the door by our new hot head owner. Melvin is excluding the best candidates (Kirk Gibson, Terry Pendleton, Ron Roenicke) because of his own job security and being second guessed by his owner.

Archived