Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
I doubt it was Mark that said "we GOTTA get Soup". I think he did tell Melvin we needed to spend money on a free agent to prove to the fans we are for real about building a winner. Melvin chose to spend the money on Soup.
Attanasio did have Suppan over for dinner at his house, something that doesn't seem to be the norm. I'd call that meddling.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not disappointed Sveum will not be coming back. He was with our team for 3 years and didn't realize that we are not built for small ball. I really have little hope that we will get anything better out of an experienced manager. I would prefer somebody younger and inexperienced who will work with our strengths. I know we have to hire a "baseball guy," but why do we have to hire one who will do things by the book?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I doubt it was Mark that said "we GOTTA get Soup". I think he did tell Melvin we needed to spend money on a free agent to prove to the fans we are for real about building a winner. Melvin chose to spend the money on Soup.
Attanasio did have Suppan over for dinner at his house, something that doesn't seem to be the norm. I'd call that meddling.

But what were the circumstances? Had Melvin decided, "This is the guy I want to spend your money on"?

I would have much rather had the Brewers announce who they've hired and let us all know from that that Sveum was not their man, rather than kind of single him out as someone who is not fit for the position before they've even picked a manager.

The whole point is that its fairer to Sveum letting him know as soon as they can, so he's not in limbo and can immediately begin searching for a new job. The Brewers could have handled this much worse by dragging this out beyond the completion of the World Series.

From everything I've read about Macha, I'm not sure why anyone would want him. He seems like Ned Yost without any social skills. Much like Yost, he was criticized as being stubborn.....leaving pitchers in too long, and running the same guys out there day after day no matter what. I had to chuckle when I found an old blog post criticizing him for letting Jason Kendall play every day without ever using his backup (Adam Melhuse). I don't want this guy one bit.

Well, I have been skeptical of the liklihood of any chance for Davey Johnson throughout this whole process, but reading Haudricourt's post from yesterday tells me that he at least has an interest to return to the majors. Haudricourt claims that sources have told him that Johnson is interested in coming back to managing.

So I will continue to hold out hope that it's him that they hire. I would be thrilled if it was him. I would be happy if it was Valentine. I would be mad if it was Showalter or Brenly. Everyone else, I don't really care either way.

I'd call it convenience. Melvin went to where Suppan lived - Los Angeles. So happens that Mark A. lives there, too. Rather than take him out to dinner, take him over to the owner's house.

For the first time in, well, maybe the team's whole history, we have an owner that has the cajones to make a strong decision. Since we're so conditioned to passive owners, Mark A. must be a meddler and micromanager.

On another note, the last time the Brewers hired an experienced manager was 1985, when George Bamberger was brought back to recapture this magic of his first tenure (oops), only the team was then in terrible shape. Since then we've hired Trebelhorn (rookie), Garner (rookie), Lefebvre (not a rookie but only the interim guy, already the batting coach), Lopes (rookie), Royster (rookie), Yost (rookie), and Sveum (interim only, rookie). I'm not sold that this is the best direction, but I don't disagree that it could be time to try a veteran.

I'll go on record as saying either Macha or Showalter are major steps down from Ned Yost. To be as big a jerk as either of those guys reportedly are, you'd have had to take the talent level of the 2002 Brewers to the playoffs to impress me. All the buzz in Texas was that Showalter's players respected him about as much as SABR members respect Juan Pierre.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this post and I don't really feel like paging through 300 plus posts already, but we need a Manager who is not afraid to light a fire if possible. It is time to move on from the "player's manager" to a "tough manager" who is not blindly loyal to players who deserve a benching or two for poor play. Time and time again, Yost stuck with a position player (Weeks anyone?) longer than he should have. Yost may or may not have cost us some wins for being too loyal to the wrong players for too long.

This team is not "young" anymore and should be treated like players with high expectations and players who will be accountable for their poor play on defense and offense. Players like Weeks need to be held more accountable than what Yost treated them as. Let the players answer for their poor play instead of a Manager who continually played the "battler" card after every game.

This team were in the playoff hunt in 2007 and made the post-season this year, so enough of the "on-the-job training," they are supposed to act and play like contenders now and actually take things seriously out there.

I'm really glad Melvin signed the extension. I trust in DM to bring in a good guy who is his guy. If it isn't Sveum, so be it. I liked Dale a great deal, he'll always be a Brewer...and I disagree with others...IMO, he was an excellent 3B coach.

I just want a manager who will play the odds...go by the book and forget the gut...not be so stubborn and myopic...Yost's worst qualities. I do want someone who can keep the cohesiveness of that clubhouse. I think this was a piece of their success...they were able to keep their heads screwed on straight enough to pull out of their nosedive. A guy like Macha could disrupt that.

In the end it comes mainly down to the talent and the players. That's why it's more important that we have DM back than whoever he chooses as manager.

I couldn't disagree more. We need a calm manager. We don't need a manger who is going to throw players under the bus just to make fans feel better. It matters what happens in the locker room, not in the press room. Benching players for lack of effort is one thing. It makes no sense to bench players for under performing.

Time and time again, Yost stuck with a position player (Weeks anyone?) longer than he should have.

If you look into the stats, Yost was right to stick with Weeks.

I blame Wang.

I couldn't disagree more. We need a calm manager. We don't need a manger who is going to throw players under the bus just to make fans feel better. It matters what happens in the locker room, not in the press room.

I think the ideal manager in terms of "attitude" would be 60% Yost's "niceness" with 25% Pinella's general ability to go off and 15% of Showalter's ability to be a complete jerk when unhappy. Yost was too easy on players who stunk, but I honestly think that's vastly superior to a guy who completely goes off and makes players hate him when they struggle. You need a manager who is generally level-headed but will go off on those occasions when it's genuinely necessary.

I agree with Melvin that we need an experienced manager. My pick would be Johnson. I feel we need someone who has post season experience. Not just to help us should we get there but someone who has managaed a team through the day to day stress of a pennant race. This, in my opinion was ultimately Ned's downfall. His teams continually failed in pressure situations. We need someone who can guide this team through the obstacles that seemed to crush The Yost teams.

Having said that my first pick would be Johnson. I have little faith in Brenly, Showalter, Little or Macha. If for some reason Leyland should leave Detroit he would jump to the top of my list

mothershipconnection wrote:

You need a manager who is generally level-headed but will go off on those occasions when it's genuinely necessary.

How do we know Yost didn't? He didn't do it very often in public, but we don't have a clear idea what happened in the locker room yet.

I blame Wang.

I couldn't disagree more. We need a calm manager. We don't need a manger who is going to throw players under the bus just to make fans feel better. It matters what happens in the locker room, not in the press room. Benching players for lack of effort is one thing. It makes no sense to bench players for under performing.

Time and time again, Yost stuck with a position player (Weeks anyone?) longer than he should have.

If you look into the stats, Yost was right to stick with Weeks.

This part I do not agree with at all. Are you saying if Kapler were healthy that Corey Hart should not have been benched? Players get a grace period to slump, yes. But they better be benched if they are going to underperform for an extended period of time. This goes for all sports, not just brewer baseball, as well.

Hate those Rodents wrote:

This part I do not agree with at all. Are you saying if Kapler were healthy that Corey Hart should not have been benched? Players get a grace period to slump, yes. But they better be benched if they are going to underperform for an extended period of time. This goes for all sports, not just brewer baseball, as well.

I would have given Kapler a few more starts, but I wouldn't have benched Hart in favor of making Kapler the starter.

I blame Wang.

My vote would be for Davey Johnson. If Showalter gets hired for some reason that scares me. Just something about players opinions when it comes to him that makes em shudder when I think of seeing him in a Brewers uni. And to touch on an earlier post. I am from Marshfield and although it would be a MAJOR long shot for Gary Varsho to be hired as a manager, I have it from a good source that he was seriously considering looking into an open position as bench coach in Milwaukee. He has the experience (Philly and Pittsburgh) and from what I've been told would like to be closer to home.

My vote is for Kapler as Player/Coach.
Seconded

I was hoping this move would have been done when Ned was fired. Kapler was on the DL anyway. By putting your team in the hands of a player/manager with 2 weeks to go, you're sending a message to the players that 1) YOU are the ones responsible for the nosedive by having stupid ABs and not making adjustments, and 2) If you guys want to make the playoffs, it's time to stop whining, cos the job is all yours now. Might have been good to put the accountability and responsibility for winning in the players' hands. The inmates want to run the asylum? Okay, well, here you guys go. You manage the team and see how it turns out.

That said, I don't want Kapler any more than Sveum long term here. Valentine or Davey Johnson get my vote. I can't believe how Johnson hasn't managed in the big leagues in 10 years. I mean, he wins wherever he goes. I always wondered about Cito Gaston, too. The guy wins back-to-back World Series titles and no other organization is willing to hire him as manager? Glad he got another shot with the Jays.

Archived