Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber
and Castro are on their way out.
Castro is as much a part of the Brewers as Bob Uecker. He's not going anywhere.

I went to high school with Castro's daughter. He had been bullpen coach for a while at that time. I graduated from high school 10 years ago. How many managers/GMs/hitting coaches/pitching coaches/owners have the Brewers gone through in that time?

I think he's safe.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I've said on other posts, I think the only "retread" that I would like would be Tom Kelly. He'd be perfect for this team, but the odds of bringing him in are probably zero. Somebody needs to remind him that there is a dog track in Kenosha.

Tom Kelly lives 3 blocks from me and I know him a little bit from playing ball with his son so if I happen to run into him I am going to personally ask him to throw his hat into the Milwaukee ring. I'm sure he won't but he is my pick as well. I saw him a week or two ago at Target so it's not out of the question that I see him. My good friend lives next door so maybe I'll go hang out over there http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

A friend was just listening to WFAN here in NYC and texted me that someone on air said Showalter is the guy but they will wait to announce until after the World Series.

I'm not sure what to think of that report (and it's definitely secondhand at best) but it's out there.

After researching a bit, I think I like Macha. He rubs people the wrong way because he seems incapable of not telling the truth at all times. I'll take that. It seems like Beane was just as much the problem in Oakland and created very negative situation to which Macha reacted (very harshly and publicly). Everything he says and thinks about baseball is right up my ally. If guys need pampering, they're in the wrong business. I also think Macha will do better with that stuff in a less toxic environment. This interview sold me:

http://audio.weei.com/m/audio/8930303/ken_macha.htm

If it is Showalter or another "proven" manager I wonder if it means that the Brewers don't look at 2009 as somewhat of a rebuilding year. I'm guessing they go hard after free agent pitching and we won't see Escobar or Gamel in a major role for 2009. I also doubt Hardy or Fielder would get traded in this scenario.

now that we know Sveum is out, a friend of mine asked if we have to wait until a certain date to announce our new manager, like after WS? or can we just announce a manager anytime as long as that manager is not part of the coaching staff of a remaining playoff team. any clarification on this would be appreciated

There's somewhat of a gentleman's agreement that you don't announce major transactions during the playoffs, or do anything else that would draw attention away from the teams still competing for the title. Of course, Scott Boras blatantly ignored that last year when he announced A-Rod was opting out during the same night the Red Sox won the World Series, but there was a lot of backlash there.

The Brewers could technically sign Sabathia and Sheets while assembling the greatest coaching staff ever tomorrow and they'd likely wait until a few days after the World Series to make the announcement. So for our sake, let's just hope the Rays wrap things up tomorrow and the World Series is a sweep. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I like this move...a lot. I wanted a total cleaning of the house. No more ex-Brewers family reunions in the home dugout posing to be a coaching staff. I have a feeling that if/when Macha called Melvin, he got giddy and decided to pass on Dale. That's my prediction. Melvin has liked Macha for years and Doug seems like the type that keeps true to his personal feelings on both players and managers (ie. Gabe Kapler). I want Valentine...badly. But I believe Macha will be the man.

I'm not surprised at this one bit. After hearing Melvin say that experienced managers have approached him, I thought that was the kiss of death for Sveum. I'm getting this gut feeling that Macha is one of the guys, especially since he was Melvin's first choice back when they hired Yost. I'm hoping Showalter isn't the guy...he seems to wear out his welcome where ever he goes. I'd be OK with Valentine, but I'm really still hoping for Johnson.

I could live with Showalter, though I prefer Brenly.

It's a different sport but Sveum's situation compares somewhat to Dennis Savard with the Blackhawks. Teams (re: owners) with serious intentions want experienced managers. The Brewers missed the boat though. Torre was available last year when they should have dumped Yost. That's not to say they would have been able to outbid the Dodgers for Torre, but Torre did have a connection to Milwaukee, having come up with the Braves.

I think Sveum's choosing Suppan over Gallardo in game 4 sealed his fate.

I'm not so sure Macha is the top choice. Granted, he was the #1 candidate in 2002, but that team's situation was much more different than where the current team is at. Maybe Melvin viewed Macha as a person who would be better at developing young talent instead of leading a playoff team.

Also, was Showalter hired by Melvin in Texas? We all know how much Doug likes his former Rangers....

I honestly think Sveum could've done well. This move surprises me a lot. Obviously Melvin's looking for something more than the positives Sveum has going for him.

Showalter's good but does wear out his welcome. Brenly? Meh. Macha? Some appeal but the stuff earlier in the thread from the time of his firing makes me leery. Valentine? Pretty good but has always struck me as exceedingly arrogant.

I like the idea of Willie Randolph, but I've also made it a point NOT to pay to much about the Mets for years, so I don't have any reference points about his Mets tenure. Mike Hargrove doesn't seem awful, but....

The Davey Johnson idea makes a lot more sense than most of other names, even to the point of it possibly being downright brilliant. Then again, if Melvin goes with Macha, there would inevitably be very sound reasoning behind so I'd be okay with it. I tend to trust Melvin pretty well.

I have never heard anything good about Buck Showalter. I remember when he was considered for the Royals job, several players approached management and asked to be traded if Showalter was going to get hired. Even Bob Brenly was not very highly regarded in Arizona. Several players were anonymously quoted as saying that Brenly was an idiot and that the D'Backs won inspite of having him as a manager.

I still think that if it's not Bobby Valentine, Tom Kelly, or Davey Johnson, the Brewers should bring back Dale Sveum.

I am still kind of upset by all this.

Maybe Melvin's figuring that for as many players totally love Sveum, that means they just might be a little too comfortable and need to be rattled a little more so they don't fall into complacency with similar expectations.

The experienced manager thing makes at least some sense if you consider that part of the problem with Yost was sticking with too many tendencies just for consistency's sake when sometimes change is what's needed (see: starting lineup fixtures Weeks, Hall, & Jenkins, just for starters). Perhaps something similar would/could/should be said about Dale Sveum when 90% of Brewers Nation knew starting Suppan in Game 4 was borderline suicidal for the Crew's playoff hopes.

I'm also tending to think Melvin has someone in particular in mind. It's not just experience in general he's after, I don't think, but significant winning experience. Sveum and Yost didn't offer that. Many of the names generated so far don't offer that, either.

Community Moderator

Every manager out there has his advantages and disadvantages.

First of all, I do not take previous W/L record into consideration at all. Results may be what gets you hired/fired, but guys that have been around like Lou Piniella have succeeded and failed. Clearly, success takes much more than just a manager--he is only a small piece of a very large puzzle.

Also, many of us are looking for a change compared to the Yost/Sveum managerial style. I agree, but the Brewers did have a very close-knit clubhouse and I do not want to start a 5-year rebuilding process by trying to implement some dramatic new system. The players liked Sveum--so bringing in someone who isn't so much of a players manager would definitely present some sort of risk. We are going in a new direction, but we do not need a 180 degree turn, just a small bump to put us over the top.

I tend to agree with Ajay: there are very few candidates that I think would do a better job than Sveum would have. I understand the desire for a change, but we're coming off a 90-win season and bringing in a whole new staff makes me nervous. Last year's playoff birth was a result of a changed attitude that was built up over years and year of having Melvin, Yost, and Attanasio in charge. If this "new" regime turns out not to be so great, we could be feeling the consequences for a long time. It's definitely a big risk/reward situation.

The mention of Phil Garner makes me laugh. I think Garner is a better candidate with more experience than Brenly, Showalter, or Macha. Garner has more playoff appearances in less games than Bobby Valentine. Garner took 1990s Brewers teams with little talent and made them competitive. Obviously, he would not be brought back, but if Garner had managed the Royals instead of the Brewers, I think he would be one of the top candidates. How ironic.

Trying to think of potential managers with Milwaukee / WI ties:

Terry Francona ('89-90) will stay with Boston; ditto for ex-Brave Joe Torre and the Dodgers, and Cecil Cooper in Houston.

Felipe Alou is a trivia question answer (Brave & Brewer), but is 73 and hasn't managed in two years.

Tim Johnson ('73-78) was successful in 1 yr. with the Blue Jays (before getting fired for claiming to have been in 'Nam)....and now hasn't managed in a decade.

Rene Lachemann managed the Brewers back in '84....but that didn't go so well. (Skipping Garner, Frenchy Lefebvre, Lopes & Royster for similar reasons.)

Pat Listach was RoY for the Brewers, and is a highly regarded minor league manager....but no MLB managerial experience.

Buck Martinez ('78-80) hasn't managed since 2002 (and only managed 1.5 seasons)

Tony Muser ('78) managed for six years in KC....without a winning season.

Gary Varsho is from Marshfield...but has fewer games managed (3) than Sveum (although he was a minor league manager with the T-Rattlers in the 90s)

Did I miss anyone?

I am partially sickened by the way this has been handled so far. Sveum's words are telling. He clearly feels as if he has been burned. If Melvin didn't want Sveum (which is most likely the case), he should have let him know that from the onset. You just don't burn bridges in sports this easily, especially someone so loyal to your organization. Sveum has clearly been soured by this experience.

For the record, I don't think Sveum is the guy to lead us, but I feel bad for Sveum and wish him luck.

Archived