Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber

Sounds like Melvin and Attanasio are also getting close to an extension, I think. Are they close to an extension or is the ""We're getting close enough" just meant in regards to the managerial selection?

Edit: Okay I think he meant to an contract extension, just a bit confusing the way it was written.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After watching the Rays this posteason, I've decided that I want a manager with glasses. Even if you make a dumb decision, at least you look smart. I do not want a manager who looks like Charlie Manuel, who is the poster boy for the "Managers should wear street clothes" movement.

if we hire Willie Randolph, I might be ill. Terrible bullpen management, stoic demeanor, penchant for late season collapses. Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't we just fire that guy?
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

if we hire Willie Randolph, I might be ill. Terrible bullpen management, stoic demeanor, penchant for late season collapses. Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't we just fire that guy?
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Randolph received an interview. He was one of the people interviewed in 2003 (if memory serves), he's available and may well have expressed interest in the job, and if nothing else he would put the Brewers in compliance with Comm. Selig's policy on minority interviews (which may be an issue, depending on the other names on his short list).

How is Brenly unattractive? Because he was a Cub broadcaster? The man's got a World Series ring, a .536 winning percentage, knows the chief rival in the division inside out as well as the entire NL Central including the Brewers who he's seen at their worst (you don't think he's talked to Piniella and Rothschild on how they approach pitching to Brewer hitters? I would think that info would be enlightening).

He's also refreshed from 4 years in the tv booth and should be energized to manage again. He's also close to Yount which seemed to be Sveum's biggest plus.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is Yount a good coach?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How is Brenly unattractive?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember him being considered a very poor in game manager from his time in AZ. Just because he has a winning record wouldn't necessarily mean he is a good coach. That is sort of like saying a W-L record is important for a pitcher. There are a lot of other factors.

I like to hear that Davey Johnson is a logical suspect for the gig. I agree with those that have already stated their preference for him, and hope that the 1-in-5 (or so) shot pays off. I'm not a big supporter of Sveum returning, definitely don't want Brenly, no to Randolph, and I'm totally neutral on Hargrove (though from what little I've heard I think he's just 'MLB Manager Retread'). "C'mon Davey" indeed!
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brenly's always wishing Piniella would hit and run *more* and the guy does it too much as it is. He's too much of an "old school" kind of guy, and was a major beneficiary of having both Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson in their primes. People forget how his terrible managing almost cost the Diamondbacks that World Series against the Yankees -- there's no way that series should've gone 7 games.

Macha had a nice run of success in Oakland, but I always wondered why Beane let him go. That whole situation where his contract wasn't renewed after missing the playoffs in '05 only to get hired again a week later and then fired again after the '06 season was just weird.

I'm not a big fan of Showalter, either. Everywhere he's gone he's had some initial success, but he's always seemed to wear out his welcome within 2 or 3 years and seems to have a bad reputation among players in the league. Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy you want heading up your team if you're trying to bring in free agents (or persuading guys to stay past their arby years, for that matter). I'd prefer not hiring a guy we'd just end up firing after 2 or 3 years again.

Out of that list, I guess Macha would be the best choice. The problem with trying to find a "big name" on the open market that's had success in the past is that it means digging through the trash and recycling guys who've been chased out of town elsewhere. Every manager seems to have some pretty big warts.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Does anybody know much about Macha. It seems as if the bet's on him at this point. I'm guessing the likely candidates, in order of the liklihood of each getting the job, goes like this:

Macha, Sveum, Brenly, Showalter

Just a hunch. Still think Sveum's and Macha's chances are about the same at this point though.

EDIT (in response to crewcrazy):

Macha had a nice run of success in Oakland, but I always wondered why Beane let him go. That whole situation where his contract wasn't renewed after missing the playoffs in '05 only to get hired again a week later and then fired again after the '06 season was just weird.
Beane has been known to interfere A LOT with the managing decisions, and if I am not mistaken, neither Art Howe or Macha got along with Beane all that well so that could have a lot to do with it. Beane was always forcing his guys to play the game his way, the Moneyball way (high on base, three run home runs, low-risk baseball).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Speaking of Art Howe....what's he up to?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't feel like re reading through this whole thread again to look for this but has anyone mentioned Larry Bowa? He would be someone that has had past manager experience. I wouldn't mind seeing Bowa as the manager of the Brewers. I wonder if Maddux, Castro, and others will be staying with the Brewers with the new manager coming in.

I googled Macha and I have to say, I dont really like much of what I am reading. Most of the stuff is from right when he was fired in Oakland so that has a lot to do with it. It seems like there was a problem with communication to players and the front office. He did win a lot of games there though.

Cruising the internet for more info on Macha, I came across some comments from players about the firing in Oakland. Let's just say they weren't as rosy as the comments about Yost from the Brewers after he got fired.

"The fact is, when you have someone leading people, you want them to be a visionary, to forge ahead and be on the front lines,'' Zito said. "We felt like we were on the front lines, and he might have been with us but he didn't have the same conviction or faith. I think it was a fear of failure. He was a little more focused on the pessimistic stuff than on success."

"I heard Steve Phillips on ESPN saying, 'I don't understand this move because those guys were playing (well) for Macha,' '' Kotsay said. "Well, we didn't play for him. This collective group wanted to win together, we felt we have a chance to win together, and we provided the leadership. The core guys who went out and played every day were the leaders of the team and carried us through the uncertainty. If there were problems, they were dealt with among the 25 guys.''

And then there's this one from a guy we got to know this year pretty well:

"I know that the one thing any player wants from his manager is to be protected,'' catcher Jason Kendall said. "If there's a bang-bang play at first, even if you're out, if you're arguing you want someone there behind you. If you argue a pitch, even if you're wrong, you want someone joining in. And I'm not sure Macha did that.''

It'd be interesting to see what Kendall's reaction would be if Macha was the guy -- he was one of the most vocal guys in Oakland about Macha's lack of leadership, and he was reportedly one of the leader's on this year's team.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Beane was always forcing his guys to play the game his way, the Moneyball way (high on base, three run home runs, low-risk baseball).

Hire Beane for our manager. I really don't have much faith in a big name guy with experience. All we can expect from most of those guys are managery decisions.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived