Brewer Fanatic

Macha Selected As New Brewers Manager (reply 667ish)

Madtown Bomber

This is my feeling who replaces this current cast of characters.

Likely Candidates to replace Ned Yost:

Don Mattingly: Current hitting coach of the Los Angeles Dodgers:

Has the most coaching experience of the people from Attanasio's days following the Yankees and his Dodgers connections. Seemed to screwed over in New York after they fired Torre last season. Would come in with a culture of winning.

Steve Decker: Current Head Coach of the San Jose Giants:

Attanasio's good friend and considered in many circles the "best" minor league manager in baseball. Some talk he would be considered the replacement for Bruce Bochy in San Francisco but Bochy is likely safe.

Strongly Considered Candidates to replace Ned Yost:

Dale Sveum: Current Interim Head Coach of the Milwaukee Brewers:

He has 12 games at least to make a case. I don't know what his chances are knowing what we know now. Likely to make huge staff changes if they miss the playoffs.

Bobby Valentine: Current Head Coach of the Chiba Lotte Marines:

Former New York Mets Manager has been rumored to be coming back to the big leagues and Milwaukee seems to be a attractive choice with the talent base in place.

Anti-Yost with a STRONG personality.

Bob Brenly: Current Play by Play Man for the Chicago Cubs:

Should have been a canidate for many of jobs in the past but for some reason hasn't.

Considered Canidates to replace Ned Yost:

Robin Yount

Paul O'Neil

Don Money

(mod note: added to Designated Threads List; also note that the How much credit does Dale Sveum deserve? thread has been designated for discussion of Dale's 2009 managerial performance. --1992)

(edits: title updates --lots of mods)

(edit: code broken by one of the edits --1992)

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Honestly, truthfully, if it's someone from the '82 Brewers, I'll turn in my fan-card. Over the last 5-10 years or so, this organization has taken a bunch of guys that were my childhood heros and made me downright sick to death of seeing and hearing about them. The only thing you have to have done in life to get a job with the Brewers is seemingly have been attached in any obscure way to the '82 Brewers.

I vote for Bobby V. He's not a nice guy, and he's not a guy you probably will see work hard to develop young talent, but if you're in that "window" where you're competing, he's a guy to have around for 3-4 years.

Over the last 5-10 years or so, this organization has taken a bunch of guys that were my childhood heros and made me downright sick to death of seeing and hearing about them.
Yeah, I'm a little disappointed that Ned ended up not being what I hoped just for the '82 connection alone.

But I'd rather have a playoff team here managed by Joaquin Andujar or Sammy Sosa than an underachiever managed by Robin Yount or Paul Molitor.

Anyway, I think it'll be Valentine.

I said it at mid-season, I'll say it again. My pick would be Buck Showalter -- give me a no-nonsense, no excuses guy to whip this team into shape.

He gets special consideration since he's a former Yankee manager (Mark A's old favorite team).

You usually never hear this said, but I really hope they don't try to force-feed us someone with organizational ties.

I'd love to see them make a hard run at Davey Johnson. I think he'd be perfect for this team.
I have advocated for him a million times here. Great track record pretty much everywhere he managed. I think the big drawback would be the perception that he's too old and perhaps out of touch with the game after sitting on the sidelines (more or less) for awhile.

Well, if Johnson is OK working with Team USA, it looks to me that he probably knows how to handle young players. If you combine that with his major league success, I think he makes good sense.

I'm not really on board with Mattingly. I think if someone new is hired, it should be someone who has a successful and established track record as a major league manager. It seems the rebuilding attitude is gone.

Don Mattingly: ... Would come in with a culture of winning.

What about the culture of winning that Yost brought with him from Atlanta!

I hope the search is thorough and isn't confined to just the more obvious names/choices. I like Davey Johnson as a possibility, and think JumpinMac makes a good point on his dealing with young dudes. Don Mattingly has zero managerial experience... not sure why his name pops up (& would be interested in hearing rationale... not baiting).

Brenly is the front runner. The fact Yount agreed to come in and coach is a clear indication that Brenly is in the mix.

Based on anything more than your speculation? Just curious.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If you are goin gto make a change, then make a change and don't hire another MLB manager. They are all bad. I would rather hire somebody who is younger and will not do things "by the book." If they make a change I hope they will look into somebody with some grasp of sabermetrics, for lack of a better word. Bullpen by commitee, relife ace instead of a closer, not worry about strikeouts(Yost obviously did since Branyan didn't play much), etc.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just want someone that knows how to handle a bullpen.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Don Mattingly: ... Would come in with a culture of winning.

What about the culture of winning that Yost brought with him from Atlanta!

I hope the search is thorough and isn't confined to just the more obvious names/choices. I like Davey Johnson as a possibility, and think JumpinMac makes a good point on his dealing with young dudes. Don Mattingly has zero managerial experience... not sure why his name pops up (& would be interested in hearing rationale... not baiting).

Brenly is the front runner. The fact Yount agreed to come in and coach is a clear indication that Brenly is in the mix.

Based on anything more than your speculation? Just curious.

My speculation but figure it out yourself. Brenly is eminently qualified having won a title in a smaller market. Yount coached for and is still close to Brenly. Brenly has seen up close the NL Central for 4 years now. He's also watched Piniella up close. None of those other guys, Mattingly, Johnson, Valentine, etc. have NL Central knowledge.

Finally, what would cause Yount to come in for two weeks? Perhaps loyalty to Sveum but more likely that he's been told Brenly will be the guy.

He has 12 games at least to make a case. I don't know what his chances are knowing what we know now. Likely to make huge staff changes if they miss the playoffs.

I agree with the staff changes. What happens if the Brewers turn it around the next few games, make the playoffs, and do well? Does that buy Sveum the manager's job? I'd have to think it'd be crazy to fire Sveum if he gets to the world series.

I said it at mid-season, I'll say it again. My pick would be Buck Showalter -- give me a no-nonsense, no excuses guy to whip this team into shape.

He gets special consideration since he's a former Yankee manager (Mark A's old favorite team).

I would like this to happen. I think the biggest struggle Yost had was dealing with the younger players when they struggled. I think he pressed them a bit and I think a lot of that is from seeing Cox deal with veterans in Atlanta. I think some of our young guys are very thin skinned and need to be handled the right way.

Finally, what would cause Yount to come in for two weeks? Perhaps loyalty to Sveum but more likely that he's been told Brenly will be the guy.

That is what I'm still wondering. My guess was Yount would be the manager next year if he wanted, but your guess here seems to be a bit more realistic.

I don't know if Schowalter meshes with the personalities on this team. I've heard him complain more than once about the brewers staring at home runs and untucking their jerseys.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Tolivebrew #17 said...

"Don Mattingly has zero managerial experience... not sure why his name pops up"

Thank You!!!!

If we hire anyone who does not have major league playoff baseball coaching experience, I don't want him. Go get us a winner. Showalter has been the AL manager of the year twice but has never won the WS.... I'd be ok with Showalter, but again, I would rather have a WS winning manager take the helm.

Archived