Brewer Fanatic

Is it Jack Z's time?

eanelson4
Jack Z indeed might be a great choice, but drafting and player development are only part of a GM's job. I think Melvin's job might hinge on making the playoffs. If they do, he's likely safe. If not MA might go for a complete overhaul. Melvin is responsible for putting together this roster and it's not performed in crunch time.

Even if a player like Escobar doesn't lead to more runs, throwing a few people like that in the lineup that can knock a guy in instead of hitting a HR all the time will at least lead to a more consistent baseball team. I'm not suggesting there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to score runs, but I do believe we would be more productive if we had some guys on base once in a while when we hit HR's.

Like I said, I just wanted to discuss it. I wouldn't be suprised if Melvin's job hinged on these last 12 games (whether justified or not). When a team explicitly states that they are going for it, and have enough talent to get there, they must make it or things need to change.

Escobar would lead to consistently less runs in 2009, so I guess you are right about that. And while I agree that clogging the basepaths for your HR hitters is a good thing, Why should we expect Escobar to get on base more than either Hardy or Weeks next year? Escobar in the lineup next year might make the team better overall but it would be because of his defense, not offense. Like I said, there's plenty of mistakes Melvin has made. I don't see the makeup of the offense as one of them.

Escobar would lead to consistently less runs in 2009, so I guess you are right about that. And while I agree that clogging the basepaths for your HR hitters is a good thing, Why should we expect Escobar to get on base more than either Hardy or Weeks next year? Escobar in the lineup next year might make the team better overall but it would be because of his defense, not offense. Like I said, there's plenty of mistakes Melvin has made. I don't see the makeup of the offense as one of them.

1) Yes, I meant in my earlier post to say that Escobar could get on base more and put himself into scoring position more becuase he's a guy with some serious speed. I didn't mean to say he would knock in more runs

2) I don't see how you figure Hall + Hardy + Weeks will score more runs than Escobar + Hardy + Weeks. Yes he is young and unproven, but lets be honest, Bill Hall is one of the worst hitters in MLB this season (and not much better last). I would say at worst, Escobar in the lineup could produce the same amount of runs while providing a nice defensive upgrade.

Whether Ned Yost and Doug Melvin are willing to admit it or not, it hurts the team having guys who K as much as ours do. How many dozens of times can you recall this season where we strike out with 1 out and a runner on 1st or 2nd. That changes the enitre complexion of the inning because a sacrafice no longer will get that run in. Obviously DM knows that this because he was tirelessly trying to get a guy who k's less in the off-season, but we ended up getting Cameron instead (who is having a pretty good year).

While we are deviating very far off topic, my point was that instead of having 5 or 6 guys who can bop 25HR/season, it would be nice to have some men with higher OBP's to complement the home run hitters more.

One of the greater qualities a GM, or anyone in any mangement position, must have is the ability to identify working talent to build a successful staff around him. One thing that has made Jack Z. so successful is hiring so many quality talent evaluators below him, and recently two of his crosscheckers have been hired by other teams to serve as their scouting directors. So he clearly has an eye for people that also have an eye for talent.

Overall I agree with the premise that being a great scouting director does not mean he will be a good general manager, but he certainly has had the success to be given such an opportunity to prove himself. I personally think such an opportunity for him would likely come from a re-building ballclub, such as the Pirates, but you never know.

<

1) Yes, I meant in my earlier post to say that Escobar could get on base more and put himself into scoring position more becuase he's a guy with some serious speed. I didn't mean to say he would knock in more runs

2) I don't see how you figure Hall + Hardy + Weeks will score more runs than Escobar + Hardy + Weeks. Yes he is young and unproven, but lets be honest, Bill Hall is one of the worst hitters in MLB this season (and not much better last). I would say at worst, Escobar in the lineup could produce the same amount of runs while providing a nice defensive upgrade.

Whether Ned Yost and Doug Melvin are willing to admit it or not, it hurts the team having guys who K as much as ours do. How many dozens of times can you recall this season where we strike out with 1 out and a runner on 1st or 2nd. That changes the enitre complexion of the inning because a sacrafice no longer will get that run in. Obviously DM knows that this because he was tirelessly trying to get a guy who k's less in the off-season, but we ended up getting Cameron instead (who is having a pretty good year).

While we are deviating very far off topic, my point was that instead of having 5 or 6 guys who can bop 25HR/season, it would be nice to have some men with higher OBP's to complement the home run hitters more.

The point is that Escobar isn't that player. He won't get on base. His has a Gwynn type bat. And Hall isn't part of the equation except in a platoon role for a year waiting on Gamel. And K's just don't matter, outs matter. But I really don't want to get into that here.

If you are trying to say that raising the team's OBP will result in more runs, I'm right there with you. I'm arguing against the perception that Melvin has constructed a team that makes too many of the wrong kind of outs. For just about every stranded runner at 3B you can find, I can find you an inning ending double play.

Melvin shouldn't be fired because his offense scores an above average number of runs the wrong way.

Archived