Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think this is entirely about this year. There's a lot of disillusioned members of the fan base after yet ANOTHER Ned Yost led collapse. Blood appeases the masses, so Nedly was the (fitting) sacrifice.

Yes, to h-e-double-hockey-sticks with the "casual fan" but they pay the bills. This was as much about keeping face in the PR department as it was about trying to win some games the rest of the year.

Interesting having Yount talk to Uek the second game of the double dip yesterday. I heard him say Prince is real close to turning it around. Hmmm then he's on the bench the next game. Anyone see that coming with Yount's interview?
As soon as Yount was mentioned in this thread, I thought of that mid-game interview Sunday.

Has anyone else been getting "yuku magicians doing maintenance" messages this afternoon? That's as irritating as all get out.

(1) Does the Kremblas dismissal make more or less sense now?

I don't have an answer for this specific question, but when I saw the headline on brewers.com the other day, the sub-title (which I italicized below) made me do a double take:

Brewers dismiss Triple-A manager
Kremblas told he wouldn't be considered for Major League job
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I figured this would happen after the season but I'm not complaining. I don't totally fault Ned for this latest losing streak but he really doesn't know how to handle a bullpen which is pretty much the hardest/most important thing a manager has to do.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sad circumstances, but I agree with the decision. I'll take anything that will get the team motivated for a 12 game run that will get them to the playoffs. After all, the 2002 Brewers won their first four games after Jerry Royster was installed as manager (never mind the next 143 games).

If Sveum loses the first game, fire him too and repeat the process until they either make the playoffs or are eliminated. Hopefully the team is in Chicago right now sitting in the Cubs home dugout after an extended session of batting and fielding practice at Wrigley.

Team Canada wrote:

Didn't Davey Johnson say he had the itch again, or was that Hargrove?

It was Hargrove, and I certainly hope that he is near the top of the list of candidates.

Hargrove is a nice guy but a terrible manager. He sits in the dugout and picks his nose all game.

I suspect this was coming from Mark A. and they were ready to pull the trigger at any time, but wouldn't do it unless something significantly bad happened. Like the doubleheader yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised if Simmons is the manager next season.

I figured this would happen after the season but I'm not complaining. I don't totally fault Ned for this latest losing streak but he really doesn't know how to handle a bullpen which is pretty much the hardest/most important thing a manager has to do.
I'm constantly flabbergasted when I remember that he was a bullpen coach (!!!) for many years.

#53 Hilarious http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Oh happy day! Seriously...after Ned's comments to the media post Fielder vs Parra, I was offically a Yost hater....How arrogant!!!!! No more of his press conferences. No more of his poor BP management decisions. Hopefully we have more of a small ball plate appearance WHEN NEEDED of course.

Oh happy day! I like the timing. At least there's a possibility that our players WAKE UP and are jolted to the point that we go 9 and 3. If we waited till the end of the year, THAT would have been too late.

Thank you Mark A.

Oh happy day! Lets get CC as many spots in the rotation possible now and make a serious run for this in the last two weeks!

(edit: cut out excessive punctuation and quadruplicate emoticons --1992)

Buster Olney was on ESPNEWS about 15 minutes ago. He said that he's friends with a guy who is friends with a Brewers player. That player, in early September told the friend, who told Buster Olney that Dale Sveum would be the Brewers manager sometime in September.

FTJ is getting some love from Peter Gammons:

"The Web site "Fire Ned Yost" will be happy. To be honest, the view from afar was that Ned Yost got increasingly tight as the fight for the wild card got tougher."

LINK

Since Gammons is the official Tool of Management, maybe he has some insight into how the decision went down. Does anyone believe we'll be getting straight answers from Melvin? (By the way, I don't begrudge him not giving straight answers, on a management level. As a fan, however, I'd like to know who's doing what.)

If he's the long reliever in the bullpen, and was taken out of the rotation, why hasn't he sucked up more innings (when the starting pitchers just sucked)?

I woudl submit that the simple answer here is because his spot in the order came up. Without looking, I would assume he hasn't had any AB's in those games either.

This just hit me like a ton of bricks. I'd suspected Yost might be gone if we failed to get to the playoffs this year, but I didn't think we'd dump him with this short of a time to go in the season.

That being said - why Sveum? I thought Simmons was more or less #2 in line in the dugout.

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody

"Do you believe this?" - John 11:26b

Wow.. Nothing unexpected here..

Simba probably refused the managers job because he's Ned's bud.

The whole team is in Geoff Jenkins panic mode right now, they feel a need to swing out of their shoes at damn near everything in hopes that somewhere down the line the "magic" will happen again..

Heres what I got. Was this done out of desperation? Hell yeah it was! They are very desperate to get to the playoffs this year and I don't think the players or management thinks that Yost will able to get them over the hump. They think there is still time to get to the playoffs and with Yost at the helm they think he'll find way to screw it up. I think the players and even Shouse was like, what the hell am I doing in here facing tough right handed pitchers? The players stopped believing in him and if you lost your players, you're done. Thank goodness this has happened. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Although the timing is odd, I agree with it. They couldn't get any worse. Maybe this will shake them up and get something going.

Attanasio is a smart guy. Melvin is a smart guy. I'm sure that they thought this through and have good reasons and a plan for the immediate and long term future.

I know Yost can't play for these guys, but he does make out the line-up, which I think he royally screwed up on all year long and that is a big part of his downfall. His use of players and loyalty to them cost him.

If I were a betting man, I'd say something is going on in the clubhouse as far as him losing the players. I'm sure there was some quiet talking to the future of the team and what the felt about what was going on.

Just so I am clear on policies...political comments that are critical of George Bush are allowed, but those that might be considered complimentary (as in a comparison to Bud Selig) are deleted? Got it.

All political posts have been hidden. I thought the original post about facial expressions wasn't outrageous, and hoped it wouldn't spin off, but clearly that was foolish. Please refrain from further delving into politics, everyone. Thanks.

Archived