Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5
Does anybody with ESPN insider care to tell those who are less privelaged what Rob Neyer said on his Blog about this:

http://insider.espn.go.co...589565%26name%3dNeyer_Rob

Nothing much, just says the move is unprecedented this late in the season. Brings up some other firings of playoff bound teams like Billy Martin of the Yankees in June, and says closest comparison is the firing of the Royals manager on August 31, 1981 a year after they were in the World Series and the team ended up making the playoffs in 81 as well.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if Attanasio went to Yost and gave him a chance to save his job, or just decided to fire him after last night. From my experience, I can see Mark asking Yost: what will you do over the next 12 games to get this team into the playoffs. I assume Yost gave an answer like "There's nothing I can do, the players have just had bad luck, it will turn around, we just have to have patience". Then Attanasio goes to Sveum, says Yost isn't doing enough to lead this team, name the things you will do to get this team to the playoffs. Sveum lists the things he'll do and Mark pulls the trigger. Just speculation on my part, but makes sense to me.
This is HIGHLY PLAUSIBLE speculation. By presenting the "what will YOU DO to achieve results now" question to multiple execs, you're forcing the immediacy of action, CEO-style, and the best Action Plan wins.

Well something had to be done but this smacks of desperation. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it will work. The real problem stems from the bullpen. We didn't do what we needed to do back in July and get a reliever or two to help the pen at whatever the cost. Not defending Yost here but it's not his fault he had a bunch of retreads like Riske, Gagne and Mota who just can't get it done consistently anymore. One of those 3 you can live with and work around but all 3. You'd need to be a magician.

jackalope02ca,

Sure the bullpen's had it's problems but all you need to do is look at the September splits for the following hitters and you'll see the real problem: Cameron, Hart, Hall, Braun, Hardy, Kendall, Fielder. All have underperformed during this slide, and save Hardy and Fielder, have underperformed by an alarming amount.

From ESPN -

"I think we have sucked in September so far," a Brewers player who wished to remain anonymous told ESPN.com's Amy K. Nelson. "And I don't think it's his fault that we can't hit or pitch right now, but something had to change."

Braun maybe?

There was an update to that Insider article:

Update: More 1981 weirdness … On Sept. 8, the Montreal Expos fired (future Hall of Fame) manager Dick Williams and replaced him with Jim Fanning. The Expos went 17-10 the rest of the way and finished atop the second-half standings in the NL East. Sept. 8 isn't much different from Sept. 15. So Yost's firing isn't completely unprecedented. Brewers fans can only hope this move works out as well.

From post #181 linked article:

Think about this for a second. Yost had a 481 OPS pitcher facing a 697 OPS hitter. He elected to issue an intentional walk in that situation to allow an 817 OPS pitcher to face a 905 OPS hitter with an additional runner on base. That's when you start looking around the roof of the stadium for snipers, because gunpoint is the only place where that kind of decision makes sense.

Awesomely said.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
From post #181 linked article:

Think about this for a second. Yost had a 481 OPS pitcher facing a 697 OPS hitter. He elected to issue an intentional walk in that situation to allow an 817 OPS pitcher to face a 905 OPS hitter with an additional runner on base. That's when you start looking around the roof of the stadium for snipers, because gunpoint is the only place where that kind of decision makes sense.

Awesomely said.

Yeah, that just blows my mind.

I actually want to watch the game tomorrow. They should have made this move last year, or after the Boston series this year. Sveum is not exactly what I am looking for, but something had to be done. Now I can try to enjoy the last 12 games, instead of wondering why Ned was still the manager.

There was an update to that Insider article:

Update: More 1981 weirdness … On Sept. 8, the Montreal Expos fired (future Hall of Fame) manager Dick Williams and replaced him with Jim Fanning. The Expos went 17-10 the rest of the way and finished atop the second-half standings in the NL East. Sept. 8 isn't much different from Sept. 15. So Yost's firing isn't completely unprecedented. Brewers fans can only hope this move works out as well.

The last time the Expos made the playoffs, yikes. Bad karma!

Immediate moves that will be made:

1) Weeks will be benched permanently for Durham

2) Hall will be benched for Lamb or maybe Gamel

3) Shouse will only be used against lefties

4) Rivera will play more at catcher

5) TWR will morph into Dale Sveum prior to the opening game of the series at Wrigley?

I don't think it's that "matter-of-fact", but I think everything he said has probably become much more likely with the recent developments.

Yost was loyal to a fault with Weeks. I was very surprised to see him sit both games yesterday, and it was actually quite funny considering he's the only guy getting on base this month.

When the Fielder-Parra dustup occurred and Yost was playing the fiddle while a pile formed mere feet from him, I had two thoughts: 1. This happens a couple times a month in the clubhouse and Yost doesn't think it's a big deal. 2. Yost has completely lost this team and had no idea how to handle the situation. IMO, I have enough reason to believe the latter.

Community Moderator

No matter what happens, I will never blame Yost for the team collapsing.

However, I understand this move had to be made in order to try to salvage the season.

I suspect to see the same lineup tonight as always.

I have been a Yost defender for ages but this is the right move. The Brewers really had hit the lowest of the low and something had to be done. I don't know whether the firing is the right "something".

As for GWB comments: this is not the DailyKos. Please take that elsewhere.

I heard him say Prince is real close to turning it around. Hmmm then he's on the bench the next game. Anyone see that coming with Yount's interview?

I dunno. I said Prince was real close to turning it around too. He is.

Archived