Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5

> I also expect after the season both Skaalen and Maddux will be looking for work.

I reckon we'll all be looking for work when we're 65 if the market keeps tanking. I blame freakin Ned! We've been Yosted again

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if Attanasio went to Yost and gave him a chance to save his job, or just decided to fire him after last night. From my experience, I can see Mark asking Yost: what will you do over the next 12 games to get this team into the playoffs. I assume Yost gave an answer like "There's nothing I can do, the players have just had bad luck, it will turn around, we just have to have patience". Then Attanasio goes to Sveum, says Yost isn't doing enough to lead this team, name the things you will do to get this team to the playoffs. Sveum lists the things he'll do and Mark pulls the trigger. Just speculation on my part, but makes sense to me.
And then the players voted Yost off Survivor Island?

Two things happened yesterday that made me feel that the team had quit on Ned and didnt think he could hack it. First, I cant remember the last time a hitting coach was kicked out of the game. There was a tight play in the 149th game of the year and Ned remained stonefaced which led skaalan to take matters into his own hands. That should be Yost showing that kind of fire. Second, the phillies had two guys going on 3 days rest in this series to give them the best chance at taking the series. With CC not wanting to pitch on short rest, its Ned's job to have him on that mound. The inmates dont run the prison. If he didnt go to CC and tell him he was getting the ball, he's an idiot because the season could have been on the line. If he went to him and CC shot him down, Yost didnt have control and needed to be let go

This team has too much talent to have been Yosted away like it has.

Let's not overstate the talent level of this team. They may have reached 23 games over .500 this year, but that does not mean they were/are a 93 win team. Remember, this team was projected by respected sites (Baseball prospectus) to win 83 games at the beginning of the year. It may be that this team actually over-achieved under Yost, rather than being held back by him.

Look for Yost to land on Bobby Cox's staff, with the understanding that he will take over when Cox decides to retire...or maybe take over as soon as next year, if Cox decides to call it a career.

I wish Ned Yost well in his next endeavor. He'll be a big league manager somewhere soon.

Well, I'd hardly consider Arby's restaurants to be the "big leagues" of fast food.

Besides, I think they usually make you an assistant manager for 6 months or so anyway, so that you learn the subtle nuances of homestyle fries vs. curly.

This wreaks of desperation. I'm not sure how replacing Yost with Sveum "puts our club in the best position for the final two weeks of the season." Dale Sveum does not have magical powers as far as I know. Anything that happens after this move (miss or make playoffs) won't be a result of this.

Purely speculation, but I'd bet Attanasio got antsy and told Doug that he'd be firing Ned.

When Yost stated in midseason basically "We're a home run hitting team, it's what we do.", he was accurate but the players heard this: "Go up there hacking boys".

No team in all of baseball needs more work on fundamentals of hitting, thinking along with the pitcher, hitting the ball where it's pitched, recognizing situations, etc.

But to me it was his playing of favorites. Kendall's been OK this year, but he's not Johnny Bench. There's no reason for him to start nearly 150 games. Mentally and physically, and I don't care what he says, Kendall has to be fried. No way he's thinking clearly enough to be that big of an advantage to the pitching staff either.

Maybe one of Mark A's kids came home and said, "Hey Dad, check out this Brewerfan.net website I just found...wow, they really don't like Ned."
That being the case, I fully expect Bernie to be waving a WOAH SOLVDD flag when he comes down the slide.
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I was watching ESPN News a few minutes ago and they had Buster Olney on. There were a few things he said.

1. He mentioned that 10 days ago, a friend of one of the players told him that Yost would be fired before the end of the season and Sveum would take over.

2. Thought that Melvin would be one of the least likely GM's to make a move like this as Melvin is a pretty loyal guy.

3. Said Sveum was different than Yost as Sveum was more of a tough, hard nosed, old time baseball type of guy. Though for the final 12 games, he would probably present more of a calming presence in the dugout.

Said a few other things as well, but that is what stuck out in my mind. Or in other words, what I still remember. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Here is my take:

I hate this move, it smacks of desperation. I think Yost deserved to be fired, but I think doing it to this team at this point in the season would be like if the Eagles would have punted on 4th and 26.

I can't imagine in a million years DM firing a manager with 12 games left in a pennant race -- I am certain MA pulled the trigger on this, and DM had to say it was "collaborative" just to get some blood on his hands.

I think Simmons thought the move was bush league and refused to be a part of the team moving forward.

I think Sveum is going to be hilarious.

If this team is tight now, wait until reporters are asking the players if it is their fault Yost got canned.

The only way this would make sense to me, would be if Yost did something aggressive to someone. I don't like Yost, but I think that this was the proverbial fork in 2008.

I agree with this pretty well in full. I'm pretty split about it I suppose, but I agree with all of your points. The timing is brutal, but at this point, what do we have to lose? I didn't have faith in Ned's leadership these final two weeks, but I was trying to hold faith the guys would get hot again. I have to believe there was some behind the scenes events that helped lead to this trigger being pulled with 2 weeks to go.

I'll hope for the best. Sveum doesn't really excite me any more than Yost.

Here is my take:

I hate this move, it smacks of desperation. I think Yost deserved to be fired, but I think doing it to this team at this point in the season would be like if the Eagles would have punted on 4th and 26.

Are you implying this isn't a desperate team....come on. I don't understand all this "It reeks/smacks of desperation" crap. Duh! We are desperate and if they aren't they should be.

This move comes with two weeks left in the season? Really? I guess it really is this year or bust. While yesterday may have been the worst day in franchise history, this still is weird timing to me. I suppose you can't fire the whole team for playing poorly so you fire the person at the top. I think it's not fair to Ned to not let him see this season to the end, but he dug his own grave basically with this month so far.

Let's not overstate the talent level of this team. They may have reached 23 games over .500 this year, but that does not mean they were/are a 93 win team. Remember, this team was projected by respected sites (Baseball prospectus) to win 83 games at the beginning of the year. It may be that this team actually over-achieved under Yost, rather than being held back by him.

Of course, this isn't some simulation video game. How are BP's success rates at predicting wins? You can't just plug numbers in and come out with the end result. If you could, these guys at Baseball Prospectus wouldn't be working for Baseball Prospectus, they'd be retired on the beach counting their gambling winnings.

Wow - I expected this at the end of the season but not at this point in the season. It will be interesting to see how the team reacts.

My thoughts exactly on this. I think the timing is odd... but at this point it can't make much of a difference, so you might as well try something else.

In other news, Craig Counsell, Tony Gwynn Jr. and Eric Gagne request immediate trades.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I would guess Simba was offered the position and turned it down.

Yeah... just one more aspect that makes this all the more mysterious.

Immediate moves that will be made:

1) Weeks will be benched permanently for Durham
2) Hall will be benched for Lamb or maybe Gamel
3) Shouse will only be used against lefties
4) Rivera will play more at catcher

5) TWR will morph into Dale Sveum prior to the opening game of the series at Wrigley?

Supposedly the reason Yount left the Brewers after just one season as a coach was because he did not see eye to eye with Ned on a lot of stuff.

I recall hearing that at the time, too. Might have just been speculation, but the timing involved certainly lends a bit of credence to this theory.

EDIT: Perhaps cast a hiring net of 'Those who didn't see eye to eye with Yost'? Nick Leyva could come back at 3B! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well something had to be done but this smacks of desperation. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it will work. The real problem stems from the bullpen. We didn't do what we needed to do back in July and get a reliever or two to help the pen at whatever the cost. Not defending Yost here but it's not his fault he had a bunch of retreads like Riske, Gagne and Mota who just can't get it done consistently anymore. One of those 3 you can live with and work around but all 3. You'd need to be a magician.

Here is my take:

I can't imagine in a million years DM firing a manager with 12 games left in a pennant race -- I am certain MA pulled the trigger on this, and DM had to say it was "collaborative" just to get some blood on his hands.

I think Simmons thought the move was bush league and refused to be a part of the team moving forward.

I think Sveum is going to be hilarious.

If this team is tight now, wait until reporters are asking the players if it is their fault Yost got canned.

The only way this would make sense to me, would be if Yost did something aggressive to someone. I don't like Yost, but I think that this was the proverbial fork in 2008.

This is another one of those crazy times where I agree with you. I understand the move, I really do. But it should have either been done a month ago, or in two weeks. I have long defended Ned, and truly feel he got the raw end on this one. Pretty weak for the organization to do him like that.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the point is to say this smacks of desperation. Look at what's happened...desperate? You bet. I have many friends who are Brewers fans, at different levels of fandom (?). I've received five texts and four calls, all positive to the Brewers actions. I'm not sure Yost had many supporters outside this website.

Two frogs fell into a bowl of cream. One didn't panic, he relaxed and drowned. The other kicked and struggled so much that the cream turned to butter and he walked out.

Sometimes, it's right to panic.

I agree it's a move of desperation...but so what? Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm more upset that they didn't make this move at the end of last season. From all I've heard, Yost was not well-liked by many of the players, created a tense clubhouse, and had troublesome relationships with his coaches. Does this make the players perform poorly as the season wears on? I don't know. I'm guessing it doesn't help.

Yount could easily be next year's manager. We all know he didn't agree with many of Ned's moves (neither did we!).

I think this is a great move. Ned was horrible down the stretch last year. He was pretty bad this year also. Managing is easy when your pitchers go seven innings every outing (July, August). Gets a little tougher when you have to manage a bullpen (September).

Think maybe Ned knew he was to be fired if we got swept? Switching the lineup and having Weeks on the bench were both drastic moves for him.

I think DM and MA were both peeved at the way Ned used Durham. Why pick up a guy just to use as a pinch hitter? The Hall situation reeks too. He all of a sudden can hit right handed pitching?

Archived