Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5
Lastly, I disagree with those that rip Sveum as a thrid base coach. The Brewers have had a philosphy to be more aggressive. It has added more runs than have been lost, but the few times it has bitten them, the throw outs look so bad everyone yelps. They have had far more times when a good throw would get a runner, but it's off the mark and we score.
A play just like that led to the winning run scoring in 1/3 of the wins during the month of Sept., so far.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This also sends a signal to not only the players, but all others in the organization - complacency will cost you. Sticking by your 'battlers," following your "gut instincts" against any shred of logic, and not reacting to the urgency of the situation will hurt you.

I'd start a "Who's the next manager" thread, but my threads tend to die a fast and horrible death. Also, what do I do with my "Yosted" shirt.

I have to think that this decision came from Mark A. It just doesn't seem to be the type of thing that Doug Melvin would do. Homer said that Busty Olney reported this morning that Ned Yost had lost faith in his players. Maybe there is something there that lead to his firing at this time. I haven't been a Yost fan, but I don't know if this is going to make any difference either way. I didn't think the Brewers were going to be able to turn things around, so I guess it might have been worth the risk.

I don't have much confidence in Sveum, but we'll see. See if Weeks is in the lineup, Hall playing most of the games, Shouse facing righties, etc... In the end though, it's the players getting tight and not being able to play well down the stretch. Brewer teams under Yost have had some of the biggest 2nd hald collapses in Brewer history. I don't know how this is going to work out and how the players are going to respond, but hopefully this will snap things around.

Just read this and I think it sums up exactly how I feel about our team currently:

"I think we have sucked in September so far," a Brewers player who wished to remain anonymous told ESPN.com's Amy K. Nelson. "And I don't think it's his fault that we can't hit or pitch right now, but something had to change."

The irony is, had Yost been fired at the end of July, it would have been obvious to everyone to credit that move for the great August. But in reality, dumping Yost for Svuem would have had nothing to do with it. If the Brewers win now, it will be because Yost is gone. If they continue to lose, it will be because of Yost. That's the definition of scapegoat.

This is why I think this move is entirely because Melvin/Attansio had decided they didn't want to bring him back next year. This works on two levels...hopefully its a kick in the butt to the players and they win, but even if they had truned it around under Yost and made the playoffs, they wouldn't be forced to bring him back.

Wow... the only thing that I can think of is the players ultimately wanted him out. Every other reason screams for waiting until the end of the season. Doesn't it? I don't recall anything like this ever being done before.

If he had lost the players, then I would throw my long standing Yost-support behind the firing. It's all about the leading of the team. If the team was no longer willing to follow him, then it's good that he's gone.

Having said that... the next guy in line (after Sveum) is almost a sure-fire lock to do many of the same "idiotic" things that Yost did. Why? Because they (almost) all do. The chances of the love child of Bill James and George S Patton coming to the Brewers is slim and none.

This team has too much talent to have been Yosted away like it has. I know he's not fully responsible by a long shot for the traveshamockery that has become September 08, but this is a step in the right direction.

Props to Brewers Management for making the move. Now lets salvage this season before it's gone.

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Archived