Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The timing is curious but I won't complain. Should have happened last year. Let's hope it charges up the team. I also agree with some who think there is more to this story. I really wonder if the players are happy about Nedly getting canned.

While I actually advocated it yesterday (and without hearing any comments from Melvin etc.), now that it has actually happened, it feels a bit bizaare. In some respects you would almost think he would be given the opportunity to show he can get them back on track, but what I said yesterday was that if Melvin had an inclination that he would not be back next year, he should go ahead and pull the trigger. I suspect, that is what happened, and that this was far from a kneejerk reaction to the past couple weeks.

Someone mentioned losing the team in an earlier comment, and I don't know if anyone caught this but in watching game one of yesterday's DH, the body language and expression they glimced of Fielder after Shouse gave up the single was somewhat telling. It didn't look as though he was pissed at Shouse, but rather could not believe he was left in to pitch to Burrell. Just an observation that made me think to myself yesterday. Don't know if it correct or not.

The first thing I thought of was why fire Kremblas? It was almost like he was bumped out by Melvin to remove a political threat to Yost. Now that Yost is gone and TH speculates it "came from the top", it makes me wonder if Melvin's head is on the block as well.

I also wonder if there were some behind the scenes altercations. Between Braun's comments on the "disaster", Skaalen melting down at the ump and Hart pseudo-ripping the fans, things seem to be brewing under the surface.

Lastly, I disagree with those that rip Sveum as a thrid base coach. The Brewers have had a philosphy to be more aggressive. It has added more runs than have been lost, but the few times it has bitten them, the throw outs look so bad everyone yelps. They have had far more times when a good throw would get a runner, but it's off the mark and we score.

I just wonder why Sveum? I guess you can't really go out and find someone new at this point, but he seems to be a Yostian guy.

I am very happy for this even if I doubt it makes one bit of difference in our playoff odds. I've seen Yost leave in guys like Shouse to face Burrell like last night one too many times now and I want a manger who understands how to use a bullpen. Unfortunately this is about a year too late and he probably already cost us his 2-3 games from being a bad manager at this point.

And now if the Brewers fail to make the playoffs, Sveum and the rest of the coaching staff (except Billy Castro of course, and whomever they bring up to coach third... Money?) are probably out of a job.

There aren't many bright sides to tanking a playoff run, but one of them surely is the canning on Ned Yost.

9/15/08: Yosted no more.

Thing is Yost deliberately chose to not shorten the rotation when Sabathia should have pitched against the Phillies. He would have been murder on a mostly left handed hitting team and the Crew's best option. It backfired and sent the team into a spin. I am honestly happier than a pig in slop right now.

The irony is, had Yost been fired at the end of July, it would have been obvious to everyone to credit that move for the great August. But in reality, dumping Yost for Svuem would have had nothing to do with it. If the Brewers win now, it will be because Yost is gone. If they continue to lose, it will be because of Yost. That's the definition of scapegoat.

I think whether it's Svuem or Yost in there makes little difference. The players are going to have to perform.

I think some of Yost's recent comments also hurt him. Some of the things he said gave the impression that he was still learning on the job and figuring out how to manage. That's fine with a younger club but not when you're supposed to be leading a playoff contender.

Very weird timing, but the ship is sinking so they had to try something. I have no problem with it.

So from talk of Manager of the Year in late August to fired on September 15th. Wow. I never liked Ned's persona, but I thought he was doing a pretty good job this year.

It isnt like he has been not playing the good players, some of the players just stink. Weeks, Kendall, Counsell, Hall, even Corey Hart since about the All Star break. Who was he supposed to start playing. tony Gwynn, Laynce Nix and Mike Lamb?

While I never liked Ned, I love Doug Melvin, and it pains me to say it but I think he is equally to blame of the type of player that he has put on this team.

Weeks has an .804 OPS in the second half, leave him out of this. While I agree for the most part with your points, I do think Yost compounded the issues with some of his bone-headed decisions mostly regarding the bullpen, and of course batting counsell 6th. I actually would agree that I thought Yost did a much much better job this year, but there were still countless times when I was scratching my head or throwing my remote through a window at his decisions. It had to be done in my eyes. Sveum though? Really?

Archived