Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5
pretty bush league in my book and makes the entire organization look like a laughingstock. what's the point with 12 games left. is it his fault his hitters forgot how to hit? while i agree that if they did not make the playoffs, at the end of the year he should have been fired, this is useless. so long ned, you didn't deserve it like this

No its not his fault the club stop hitting but batting Hart lead-off? He has been the coldest of the cold out of all our hitters. Not bumping up CC to face the Phillies? He was our best chance for victory. The Phillies bumped two of their pitchers. Playing Hall against any right handed pitching? Not the right decision. Our chances of making the playoffs with Yost was extremely slim. Getting rid of him here likely doesn't make it any slimmer to make the playoffs. It might light a fire under the players or we go completely in the tank.

This year was different. Ownership and management went for it this year. Yost's decision making was preplexing.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a spot for Sveum, heading into Chicago in the hottest seat of any manager in recent times. CC on the mound should help, but the starting pitching and suspect bullpen don't seem to be much balm. I wonder what his theories are on Weeks, Counsell et al?

I don't like the absence of Simmons, but it's not like his vast baseball experience influenced bad outcomes during this September collapse.

I don't even know what to say. The Packers won again, and Yost is gone. I feel oddly complete.

Just wish they hadn't waited so long and had someone more competent than Sveum to take over. Oh well.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

For all the crap Svuem takes about sending too many runners and being agressive, I think he does a lot of behind the sceans work in terms of defensive positioning and scouting. It could be argued that our defense is terrible, but I am just saying that there is a reason he was picked...although I would guess Simba was offered the position and turned it down.

This is horrible. Dale Svuem can't even coach 3rd base. This reeks of desperation and the only thing this solves is the the front office not wanting to have to answer to fans after the season, rather they can say, "well, we tried to go in a different direction before it was too late." Goodbye Playoffs! Goodbye 5 years of hard work and building! We had our shot. Doug Melvin had better be the next head to roll. This organization is essentially giving up and starting over 15 days early.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah I bet there's something else going on besides the crappy September record.......it will probably come out in the off season.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I gotta believe their is something we don't know. Perhaps he lost the team or had some verbal confrontations. It just doesn't make any sense at all. If the Brewers crappy play of late is the only reason that is pretty lame to me. Ned couldn't go out and hit for the guys.

pretty bush league in my book and makes the entire organization look like a laughingstock ... this is useless. so long ned, you didn't deserve it like this
This season isn't lost yet. How often is a team tied for the wild card with 12 games to play? They had to make a significant change, and this is all you can do at this point. Besides, it's clear Yost wasn't going to pull the team out of this slump (remember last September?). It was inevitable.

In other news, Craig Counsell, Tony Gwynn Jr. and Eric Gagne request immediate trades.

LOL

I heard of the firing from the kid sitting next to me in my last class. I literally ran back to my apartment to check this site. I was shocked to hear of Yost being fired, and equally shocked to hear his replacement. Wow.

Some questions to kick around:

(1) Does the Kremblas dismissal make more or less sense now?

(2) Was Yost's dismissal a foregone conclusion (regardless of this season's outcome or not)?

(3) Was Kremblas not in future plans of the franchise whether the team made the playoffs or not?

(4) Will our minor league managers serve as interim bench/base coaches with auditions for next year?

This is horrible. Dale Svuem can't even coach 3rd base. This reeks of desperation and the only thing this solves is the the front office not wanting to have to answer to fans after the season, rather they can say, "well, we tried to go in a different direction before it was too late." Goodbye Playoffs! Goodbye 5 years of hard work and building! We had our shot. Doug Melvin had better be the next head to roll. This organization is essentially giving up and starting over 15 days early.

I agree that the move reeks of being desparate, but I don't think 5 years of hard-work have been thrown out the window. I mentioned this on the minor league forum the other day, but this team hasn't been built as if it's 2008 or bust. It's not like they have to start over just because Yost is no longer the manager.

FIRE SVEUM.

Always on the cutting edge. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Curious timing, to say the least. While I'm not a big Yost fan, and I'm not upset by the timing, I never thought he'd get fired with 12 games to go.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I don't expect it to matter much (unless the players really were sick of Yost), but given that this collapse is happening every year, it's not shocking, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mark that got fed up and not Doug. I would also be surprised if Sveum got the permanent job.

Didn't Davey Johnson say he had the itch again, or was that Hargrove?

Archived