Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5

Problem is, we'll be going from the Ferrari back to the Camry next year.

That statement, at least the first part of it, is part of the point. This team has the talent to be a Ferrari. Why are they not performing like one?

Yes, this is the best season that they've had in years. But on paper if you looked at this team in the beginning of the season with Weeks, Hardy, Braun, Fielder, Hart, Hall, and Cameron... then add a career year out of nowhere from Kapler... and a healthy Sheets for an entire season... and then add CC Freakin' Sabathia who goes undefeated since the trade... how is this team not running away with the wild card if not in first place?

Sure, the bullpen has been iffy and unreliable at times... but they still have the 3rd best ERA in the National League. Folks, the pitching is not the problem.

The bottom line is, even though this is the best season they have had in years, they still have underachieved. They have the talent to be doing so much better. And that's on the manager.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 dollars says that if Melvin and the team part ways this winter, Melvin will hire Yost to be manager of his new team.

I was thinking the same thing. Althogh in reality I guess I'd be surprised if it actually happened.

Ned seems like a very good man. I do believe that he wanted nothing more than for the Brewers to succeed. Believe it or not, I have a lot of respect for Ned Yost as a person. I just don't think he had the necessary skills to be a good, or even adequate, Major League baseball manager.
Nice summary, I had the same thoughts listening to him yesterday.

I could not disagree with you guys more on Sveum as a 3B coach. Sveum would have sent Braun last night. Certainly a good throw gets him, but it would have taken 2 good throws. There have been numerous times this year they have sent runners that scored because the opposing teams could not execute. Sveum was fearless at 3B. A few times the opposing teams executed and when they did, our guys were out by a mile. I think we've done much better by pressuring our opposition and sending the runners versus not. Iorg should have sent him last night...it's what they've been doing all year.

Ned seems like a very good man. I do believe that he wanted nothing more than for the Brewers to succeed. Believe it or not, I have a lot of respect for Ned Yost as a person. I just don't think he had the necessary skills to be a good, or even adequate, Major League baseball manager.
Nice summary, I had the same thoughts listening to him yesterday.
I think it takes a different manager style to rebuild and introduce young players to the majors, then it does to manage a playoff caliber team. There's a lot more pressure managing a "win now" team. I think we started to see last summer that Ned struggled with that pressure. I think it's fair to say Yost was a fine manager for the first 4 to 4-1/2 years.

Braun would have been out by a mile if Iorg had sent him. I think Braun was expecting the ball to go to the wall, but Johnson cut it off in the gap. The ball was in the infield quick enough that they almost got Braun out when we was trying to get back to third. He'd have been a dead duck at home.

Here's my take on this (at last):

I'm not saying I love Ned Yost or anything. Not saying he was a fantastic manager.

But he shouldn't have been fired. He should have been given to the end of the year. There were only twelve games left. He might have pulled it out. He might not have - but it is baseball. It is a strange and streaky game.

I hope the Brewers claw their way back and everything, but I feel that what happened to Ned was uncool.

That said, the Brewers are the biggest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. I blame the team.

I think it's fair to say Yost was a fine manager for the first 4 to 4-1/2 years.

Absolutely.

I think it takes a different manager style to rebuild and introduce young players to the majors, then it does to manage a playoff caliber team...Ned struggled with that pressure.

I think Melvin should have made a business decision and told Yost this by the end of the 2007 season. Instead, they extended him and then seemingly spent the entire 2008 season looking for reasons to fire him (I'm guessing that the badgerblogger rumor had some truth to it).

A number of people think that he had a strong role in firing Yost even if he didn't directly make the decision. Witrado had an interesting comment in the Brewers Mailbag. A fan criticized Melvin for signing Gagne and Witroado replied " Even think that Gagne was more of a Attanansio signing than a Melvin one? That's the thinking around us." Melvin and Mr. A talk daily- some times several times a day I read someplace. Maybe Mr. A is more involved with the baseball decisions than we think.

I think I kind of prefer the steady as she goes Yost approach to the aggressive, outs on the base paths desperation hair on fire approach of the Sveum era. Then again, these final couple weeks should provide plenty of evidence that the manager was the least of the problems with this team. I realize Dale was dealty a bad hand with the Sheets injury, but we are going to have to have guys starting on 2 days rest soon.

Just noticed on the Brewer's schedule: http://milwaukee.brewers....hedule/index.jsp?c_id=mil

they have a picture of Darth Vader on Sept 16, and when you point at it "THE FORCE UNLEASHED" appears.

I wonder how long that embarassing claim and picture will remain there.

My wife asked me about that picture a couple of weeks ago and I told her I had no idea what it meant, still have no clue~.

My wife asked me about that picture a couple of weeks ago and I told her I had no idea what it meant, still have no clue~.

Ah, so it was there before the firing...I was thinking it had something to do with that http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif.

Ah, so it was there before the firing...I was thinking it had something to do with that http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif.

It's been there for a while. The Force Unleashed is a video game and it was released on September 16th.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived