Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5
I could maybe see this move if we had a legit candidate waiting in the wings. Instead we're putting a first time manager in the driver's seat for our first playoff run in a quarter century. The logic just isn't there and I'll guarantee this gem wasn't a Melvin idea.
We had a playoff run last year, led by a veteran manager whose team ended up choking a big lead away and then failed to take advantage of a last week fade by the Cubs. The same veteran manager who was leading this team the last few weeks of this year's playoff run while we lost 11 of 14 and choked away a 4.5 game lead.

I don't think the Brewers make the playoffs this year regardless of who's in the driver's seat, but I'm not fretting Sveum's lack of experience (his judgment may be another story).

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frankly if I'm Melvin and a California banker starts deciding he wants to fire the manager with TWELVE games left I'd think about walking. "You can't fire me cause I quit".....
I must admit I don't get it. Several posts complaining about the "California" banker. Huh? You mean the California banker that bought this club from Wendy Selig? You mean the California banker that has doled out almost 90M for salaries this year? The California banker that went out and paid for Sabathia? The California banker that has been owner during the only >.500 record in 16 years? That "California" banker?

Why "california" enters into the discussion, I don't know, I guess I should be glad there wasn't some reference to wine drinking.

I hardly think firing the dolt that has led the team to 2 straight collapses equates to Steinbrenner level meddling. Frankly, Melvin not have the brass to do this after last year's collapse if the biggest issue in my mind, and it the owner has to nudge Melvin here, so be it.

And if you're wrong and it was legitimately a mutual decision?

I don't think it was a mutual decision at all.

First, it goes against everything DM has demonstrated in the last few years -- extreme patience and non-panicking.

Second, the decision HAS to appear mutual even if it isn't -- If MA comes out and fires Ned Yost, over DM, that really would cause problems. It's not as if DM needed the support of the owner to fire Ned.

The only qualifier I will make, is maybe Ned was pissing off all of the players -- if those Philly reports are to believed. Maybe he ate all of Prince's Doritos.

This has been a very sad couple days for this franchise. We see our playoff hopes drifting away and fire our manager. You never want to be in that position. then our hated rival comes into town to play a couple games and gives up 1 hit in 2 games in front of an intimate Cubs audience. This was probably 2 of their best days: watching us crumble and then celebrate it in our home.

What a terrible 2 days.

We are not like you. We don't get all goosebumpy when bad things happen to you--we just like when good things happen to us. It's the Cards who we hate.

For the record though, it's my opinnion that when you team responds to this guy and goes into the playoffs playing well for the last two weeks, none of you will shed a tear for losing one Ned Yost or think your owner mettled in a situation he didn't belong.

He made Milwaukeeans care about baseball again and he made the baseball nation remember that Milwaukee is a great baseball town. Ned Yost, like it or not, is a big part of the turn around of this franchise. And for that he should be thanked.

The Brewers improved from 2003-2008 because their personnel improved, and because Mark A. purchased the franchise. If Ned were some kind of savior, there's no way he'd receive the kind of flack he hears from this site. He was at the helm during the 2004 collapse, a team that was 41-34 on July 1. Granted, the team was overachieving, but they won 26 games in the final three months. In 2007, Yost melted down in late Sept. (remember, the Cardinals series conincided with a Florida sweep of the Cubs -- the door was wide open). And, the details are pouring out about the "nature" of the clubhouse these past couple of weeks. Most on this website (heck, almost everybody) believes Yost is a bad manager; according to one at NSBB: "any day is a good day to fire a manager as bad as Yost." The credit for the renaissance goes to Mark A., Jack Z., and to an extent, Melvin.

Again missing the point of my statement. Let me spell it out for you. You have every right to HATE Ned Yost, but you sound like an "idiot" when you do not even SHOW him the respect that he deserves. To not give him any credit in the franchises' turn around is moronic and jaded. Yes Melvin, Jack, and Mark are also big factors, but he played a large part in it and I don't think it should be forgotten.

We are not like you. We don't get all goosebumpy when bad things happen to you--we just like when good things happen to us. It's the Cards who we hate.

For the record though, it's my opinnion that when you team responds to this guy and goes into the playoffs playing well for the last two weeks, none of you will shed a tear for losing one Ned Yost or think your owner mettled in a situation he didn't belong.

I know a few Cubs fans that loved these last 2 days. Yeah, it would be sweeter if it as the Cardinals for you guys I'm sure, but this still feels great to my friends that love the Cubs.

I appreciate the patronage and as a stupid, irrational fan I believe they will still win the WS this year.

I don't hate Ned Yost. I have respect for the man. I do get your statement, but I don't agree with it. I'd give him some bit of credit for the turn around, but certainly not a majority. From what we've heard, the players like him, and he played a significant role in the upbringing of the current core. But the lack of talent in the early years masked his deeply flawed managerial decisions. I strongly believe that the added payroll and maturation of the "core" players is the reason why this team is a contender. However, if Yost wasn't the manager, would this team still suck? Doubtful. Yost's role in the turn around was small.

All Yost job was to develop the players and be the manager of teams that were pretty bad.

He did that perfectly.

Melvin gave him time to try to be a manager of a winning team as well, he failed. They collapsed.

They now need to find a manager who can be that guy to get us over the hump.

All Yost job was to develop the players and be the manager of teams that were pretty bad.

He did that perfectly.

Melvin gave him time to try to be a manager of a winning team as well, he failed. They collapsed.

After all is said and done, reading this puts a lot of things into perspective for me. "Yost apologist/hater, "whatever. Bottom line, I can't argue with that at all.

Why "california" enters into the discussion, I don't know, I guess I should be glad there wasn't some reference to wine drinking.
Simply because he's not a baseball guy and this isn't a logical move for this point in time. I like Ned, I thought he did a tremendous job changing the culture in the clubhouse in his first 2 seasons, he just didn't have anything to work with. I hated his bullpen strategy, because i absolutely despise defined roles in the bullpen and always have. The unavoidable truth is that he was at the helm for 3 tank jobs in 4 years, and for better or worse (fair/unfair whatever), that's a reflection on him. The only way this move makes sense if you look at it in the context of "things can't possibly get any worse". There's no time to institute any meaningful change, this has to be about trying to jump start the players into producing. I have hard time believing Ned's demeanor made his players uptight, but maybe Sveum will be a calming influence in the dugout.

I've posted on a couple of different occasions that I worry about Mark A's influence in personnel decisions. I'm unsure if he's pushing so hard for a winner because he truly wants to win, or he wants to flip the franchise for a profit. Either way, it doesn't matter, he's no more qualified to make baseball operations related decisions than I am, I'm a life long baseball fan as well. I want sustained success, and the surest way to mess up your franchise is to get involved in personnel decisions when you don't have the money to buy your way out with more FA aquisitions.

Melvin made some absolutely genius moves, getting scrap heap guys and flipping them for greater value... he's also had some stinkers. The good thing is that he always seems to limit the damage, which is all I'll really ever ask. I don't really have a problem with the Brewers drafting philosphy at all, I do have a problem with their player development, especially on the defensive side. It seems to me that the players to this point haven't been making significant strides defensively in the minors (I know we heard good things about Huntsville this year), either they've been a natural or they've stunk... to this point they've been showing up in Milwaukee pretty much the same guy as when they were drafted. Is a minus defender going to become a plus defender? Probably not, but I'd settle for guys who approach average, instead of guys who are bottom feeders defensively at their positions.

I like Mark A, he's been good for Milwaukee, I just want him to leave the on the field stuff to the people that have the experience and knowledge to make good longterm decisions for the franchise. I'd rather he work his financial magic and keep finding new revenue streams, keep growing the fanbase, and maintain a high level of interest in the franchise.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

We're still tied for the lead in the WC after 150 games. At least fire the guy after we drop out of the top spot. To switch managers still in the lead of a playoff hunt with so few games left is just bizarre. It's an unprecedented move for a reason.

My only point when saying "California banker" is to emphasize that while Mark A. seems like a nice guy and has committed finances to this team (and fans committed finances to him in exchange) his area of expertise is not baseball.
I really couldn't agree more. If Attanasio starts rolling heads on a consistent basis I am going to be disappointed.

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/d5f256f9dd8b333419ecc1269b06812926803e5.gif

Yost was well compensated for his buffoonery.

Line of the thread right there.

(Iorg) was rather meek as a player.

Not according to the San Diego Chicken. He said that one day Iorg just went off on him, telling him, amongst other things to get his "behind" off the field. The article was in Esquire magazine a few years ago. I think he is more intense than people believe.

Final word to Mark A., "The best executive is one who has sense enough to pick good people to do what he wants them to do, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it" Theodore Roosevelt

The key word there is "good".

I wonder if ol' Jack McKeon can be coaxed out of retirement to serve as some type of "special advisor" on the bench for the last two weeks of the season (and hopefully playoffs).

I think Yost can be a good manager for a rebuilding team that is not going to be in contention; his ability/stubbornness to stick with players despite their struggles can benefit an inexperienced team that is building for the future. Unfortunately that is not the Brewers right now. They are a team that is in a position where they need to make strategic moves to win as many games as possible, and that is not Yost. If there is as much tension in the dugout as Rosenthal and others says there is, then the change is overdue. Don't know if Sveum is the answer, but right now there aren't many options, and just about all of them are > Yost.

Being in management myself, if someone above you asks you what the problems are and what your plan is to address them, you cannot under any circumstances answer "I don't know". As a manager it is your job to know; you might not be able to do anything about it and it might not be your fault, but you better know what you are going to do to handle it. Whether sports, business, whatever industry - it is the job of the manager to know what the problems are and have a plan to address them. Sounds like Yost had no plan, and if that's the case, then he deserves to get fired.

We're still tied for the lead in the WC after 150 games. At least fire the guy after we drop out of the top spot. To switch managers still in the lead of a playoff hunt with so few games left is just bizarre. It's an unprecedented move for a reason.

What sense does that make? Say we lose tomorrow and the Phillies win and then he's fired. We would then be out of the top spot and then it would make more sense to fire him? Ridiculous. All that does is prolong the meltdown by one day and give you one less game to be able to make up the deficit. The reason he was fired is because, once again, when the pressure was on the clubhouse was feeling he was panicking. Going back to the Rosenthal article from a few days ago when the scout called Ned a "Nervous Nellie."

I think the 8th inning of game one yesterday might have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

When directed toward a member, "News flash," and "Let me spell it out for you" cross the condescension line. "but you sound like an idiot" far surpasses that line.

Please stick to addressing the message rather than attacking the messenger.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

To me the issue is very clear:

I am over 90% sure that we weren't going to the playoffs with Yost at the helm.

Does Dale give us much better of a shot? Maybe not, but I don't see why you do not try to do it.

-Yost was gone next year anyways it seems.

-There is a very small chance that this move sparks us (but a chance).

-There is a very small chance that Sveum is a better manager.

Both of those possibilities are small, however we knew what we had in Yost and after seeing this team look like a deer in headlights during the race last year and play from behind for probably 95% of games vs. contenders (STL, CHC, NYM, LAD, PHI) and save for some late game homers we would have an absolutely atrocious record against them all in the 2nd half, I don't see how you can logically think we had much hope the rest of the way. So why not take a shot?

He did that perfectly.

After all is said and done, reading this puts a lot of things into perspective for me. "Yost apologist/hater, "whatever. Bottom line, I can't argue with that at all.

Thats basically how I see it.

Melvin needed a manager.

He told Yost "We are not going to be that good, we can't aford to pay for free agents. The team we have now(2003) is not going to be that good. Its going to be place fillers until our draft picks pan out. And when they slowly come up, thats going to be your job. Make sure you play the kids when they come up. They are going to struggle, and they will have growing pains. Stick up for them and lead them the right way. We won't fire you because of your record just help develope these young kids. And when we start competing, you will have your shot to manage a championship team"

Well we started to compete. He got his shot to manage a winner. He failed.

Even though all of it was not his fault.. he didn't do enough to justify him staying with the team.

If Ned were some kind of savior, there's no way he'd receive the kind of flack he hears from this site.
It's the nature of fans and the manager's bosses to scapegoat the manager. Ned may not a very good manager and he will be easily replaced but he has taken the blame for flaws in the building of the team that he is not responsible for. He deserves some credit for the team playing better than expected for the middle part of the season as well as the bookend choking.

There may be no chance of the team being moved for a long time but it might eventually prove significant that the Brewers have an out of town owner as it did for Milwaukee's previous team. The booing may be one sign that many fans will be fickle and desert the team if disappointed again this year. A drastic change in the carry-in policy would alienate some. New York has been mentioned as a destination for another team.

The more I think about it, the more I like firing Yost now for one simple reason: It removes any chance of him saving his job for 2009 and beyond.

Think about it. If the Brewers get hot, or play .500 ball the rest of the year while the Mets completely tank (or any other scenario that could happen with or without Ned, where the Brewers could have gotten into the playoffs), Ned's job would have surely been saved. His firing has been assured, and as an added bonus, there is a chance that this bold move could spark something.

For those who wanted a headline "Toast" somewhere, you'll be happy to know that FSN The Final Score used the headline "Ned Toast" on that little sidebar. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
I just liked the rhyming cadence of BREW CREW TOAST YOST, NAME SVEUM

I must admit I don't get it. Several posts complaining about the "California" banker. Huh? You mean the California banker that bought this club from Wendy Selig? You mean the California banker that has doled out almost 90M for salaries this year? The California banker that went out and paid for Sabathia? The California banker that has been owner during the only >.500 record in 16 years? That "California" banker?

I hardly think firing the dolt that has led the team to 2 straight collapses equates to Steinbrenner level meddling. Frankly, Melvin not have the brass to do this after last year's collapse if the biggest issue in my mind, and it the owner has to nudge Melvin here, so be it.

No kidding, Mark A. has done more for this franchise in 4 years then anyone could have expected. I was happy when he bought the team and I'm just as happy today. Most people on this site always praise Mark, now he does what most people have wanted for years and he get ripped for it. If this works out it will look great, if it doesn't we were folding under Yost anyway. We will just have to see what happens in the next 12 ball games but either way I still love Mark Attanasio as our owner.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived